Hoisting and Leaf Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dennisonwj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Fellow Babies...
I have a 1987 Ramcharger 4x4. The front springs are completely toast. Ordered some Dayton 6 springs from JCW, they are showing up soon. I have some questions if y'all would be so kind.

- I have done a single leaf spring years ago on a car, never both fronts on a high truck such as this. Could you give me some pointers on how to do it on jack stands so I do not kill myself and more importantly, not hurt the Dodge?
- Where on the frame should I place my jack stands for this?
- Should I lift each corner and support it, do the swap, and then move to the other side and do the same, or should I lift the entire side of the truck and jack stand it, or should I lift the entire front and jack stand it, I do not have the ability to lift the ENTIRE vehicle for this, too small a shop?
- It seems like the U-Bolt plates are not flat because they have an anti-sway bar bolted through them, I was hoping to get NEW hardware for all the leaf spring components, the ones I cannot replace I will clean Rust Bullet and top coat. Anyone know where I can get new front suspension components without KILLING the bank?
- If someone has a procedure outside of the little bit I got from the FSM and the Haynes, I would love to see it.

- Will

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it would probably be best to lift the entire front end off the ground. just make sure to block the rear wheels just in case.

OP
OP
D

dennisonwj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it would probably be best to lift the entire front end off the ground. just make sure to block the rear wheels just in case.

I am doing this on my nicely epoxied garage floor. I live in Maryland so it is code to have a pitch to ALL garage floors toward the doors. Therefore the floor pitches about 3 inches from front to back.

Because of the pitch, I am thinking of using 4 six ton jack stands up front (2 on each side), I have a 3.5 ton jack as well. I have metal heavy duty chocks with teeth on them. I am also thinking of placing a 6x6 on end and bracing somewhere behind the leaf springs on the frame as insurance. The truck will be up on the stands for at least a week, because I am going to clean, rust proof, and paint ALL components that I take off and are not new. BTW, can I lift the truck by the center of the front axle? Or could that bend the axle? If not, do I lift one side of the frame, place on stands and then lift the other side and do the same? That seems like a very dangerous thing to do.

My process is going to be.
1) Chock rear wheels.
2) Lift front place on 4 jack stands.
3) Place 6x6 insurance under center of frame behind leaf spring shackles.
4) Remove front tires.
4) Remove passenger side front leaf spring and mounting hardware.
5) Place 6x6 OR something else under axle so it does not hang. (So I can pull out my jack that was holding it up when I removed leaf).
6) Clean all parts, paint components, let cure.
7) Install ALL hardware and new leaf springs on passenger side.
8) Remove driver side front leaf spring and mounting hardware.
9) Place 6x6 OR something else under axle so it does not hang. (So I can pull out my jack that was holding it up when I removed leaf).
10) Clean all parts, paint components, let cure.
11) Install ALL hardware and new leaf springs on passenger side.
12) Lower vehicle. DONE

Please jump in anywhere and make notes. I am a little squirrely about doing this repair, I hate jack stands and hate working under loads suspended by them.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
sounds like you got things planned out pretty good. if you worried about the jack stand you could also toss your tire under the frame. i forget who taught me to toss the tire under the frame on top of using jack stands.