Homelink sometimes not working??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine had been working for 2 years and all of a sudden stopped. I have an appointment with dealer to find out what is wrong on Weds 6/6. I have a thread topic on here as well. I will report back findings once i hear from them.

UPDATE from dealer visit

The tech was able to reset the homelink module. He found it was not transmitting a signal from his diagnostic tools. There is a STAR (service bulletin) that he followed which said to unplug the unit from the truck and then lug back in and clear all previous codes with his service reader. He did that and then i was able to program my door opener once again. Everything is working again so good times are here again!!

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE from dealer visit

The tech was able to reset the homelink module. He found it was not transmitting a signal from his diagnostic tools. There is a STAR (service bulletin) that he followed which said to unplug the unit from the truck and then lug back in and clear all previous codes with his service reader. He did that and then i was able to program my door opener once again. Everything is working again so good times are here again!!
Glad it's fixed. Changing my bulbs in my garage opener back to regular bulbs have seemed to fix my issue as well. So maybe the LED bulbs were what was causing my issue.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
anyone just change out the homelink module? Was the results better than before?

RIOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it should work - that's how I have to program my buttons to a garage motor. Let us know..

Tried it last night and it worked, thanks! So happy to finally be able to use the homelink buttons instead of my opener, its the small things in life lol

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Mine will work great for months then go to crap. The I have to reprogram all over. Now, it wont open the GD at all.

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was given this when I took mine in. Otherwise no help.

IMG_1622.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well, it did it again today. Came back home and the garage wouldn't open. I had to get out and open it by the keypad. I had the regular bulbs in there too. So I put the LED bulbs back in and am just going to live with it I guess. It works 9/10 times. But it's just that one time that is inconvenient

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
A little observation, I could be on to something or I may not be. I think my issue is temperature related. What I have noticed is that it almost always works every morning. We have had a solid week of overcast rainy days and I have never had an issue. Yesterday, was our first sunny day in a while (read as temps in the 90's and 110% humidity) all of sudden it doesn't work again. Parked out of the sun when I got home, stayed there a while, backed into my drive way hit the button and it worked. I think I am fixing to order just the homelink module it could be cooked.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
A little observation, I could be on to something or I may not be. I think my issue is temperature related. What I have noticed is that it almost always works every morning. We have had a solid week of overcast rainy days and I have never had an issue. Yesterday, was our first sunny day in a while (read as temps in the 90's and 110% humidity) all of sudden it doesn't work again. Parked out of the sun when I got home, stayed there a while, backed into my drive way hit the button and it worked. I think I am fixing to order just the homelink module it could be cooked.
Something to start looking at. Mine is finicky from time to time.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Well, I haven't really paid attention to the temps outside when it doesn't work, but I am in Florida and it's been stupid hot lately. It does occur only during the daytime...I'll have to see if and when it happens again what the outside temp is.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well, it did it again today. Came back home and the garage wouldn't open. I had to get out and open it by the keypad. I had the regular bulbs in there too. So I put the LED bulbs back in and am just going to live with it I guess. It works 9/10 times. But it's just that one time that is inconvenient

Just an FYI, you shouldn't run LED bulbs in a garage door opener.... it can cause the electronics to fry. Don't ask me why, but I deal with a couple of large installers and they all tell me the same thing. It also can cause interference with the remotes and void any warranty you have on the opener.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just throwing this out there - I have not had the first issue using a standard universal remote that I programmed to my garage which I bought well over a year ago. The problem only happens when using my homelink in my truck. My g/f has never had the problem either in her grand cherokee using her homelink...so it's definitely a problem with my truck/homelink..

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well, to update what I said above - oddly enough I began having issues with the standard remote opening the garage door now. It just started either yesterday or day before. It did it just now when I went to close the garage after opening it right before. The garage lights (LED) were still on while I was trying to close it. So, i got out and went and manually turned off the garage lights, went back out and attempted to close the garage with the remote again. It worked! So...I guess it is the LED bulbs affecting it. I have put normal halogen bulbs back in and will monitor it over the next few days and watch what happens.

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was having issues with my homelink not working 100% of the time.
Was following along this thread the whole time. Did not think about the LED bulbs I had in my opener as an issue. It makes perfect sense. So I changed out my bulbs in the opener to standard halogen bulbs. Ever since (1month or so) its been working 100% of the time.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was having issues with my homelink not working 100% of the time.
Was following along this thread the whole time. Did not think about the LED bulbs I had in my opener as an issue. It makes perfect sense. So I changed out my bulbs in the opener to standard halogen bulbs. Ever since (1month or so) its been working 100% of the time.
I'm going with its the LED bulbs. I'll test my homelink tomorrow morning and see what happens

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my homelink worked as it should today. I made sure to try it with the bulbs still on and it closed just fine. So, I guess it really was the LED bulbs causing the issue. Glad it's resolved though!

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well - everything was working fine for 5 days using the homelink button in the truck until yesterday! Went to open the garage after being gone for a while and it would not open. So, while I think the LED bulbs did have some type of effect on its operation, I don't think that is the only issue. very frustrating!

glwhitetail

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have led bulb on the opener as well, but mine does not turn on until about 5 seconds after the opener has been activated. When it has its fits, it is usually like it sends a double signal, one activates the opener then the other causes it to stop and it is only opened maybe 2 inches. I have never had an issue with closing the door when the led bulb is light as well.

I did have an issue over the weekend with it not sending signal at all. But was pulling camper in 94+ heat during the day and did back it in with the camper so was farther from the door than normal. I miss my genie opener, could be 50 yds away and get the door to start opening ... This one I need to be about 10 yds away and it is still finicky...

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure where the issue lies with mine. Whether it's my homelink or the actual garage motor itself. What's weird is my gf's grand cherokee has never had the issue using her homelink buttons.. so i'm at a loss.

grumpygirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so has anyone had a dealer look at this issue or is everyone just changing bulbs or just living with it? I have appointment to have my dealer look at mine while its in for recall. both my chevys ('00 & '18) work fine.