hood insulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAIJAI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all
when i purchased my 85 ramcharger many, many years ago it came with insulation under the hood.
i have heard many different takes on this.. mine needs replacing.. would it be wise to replace the
hood insulation or leave it off... i do know it did provide a barrier for noise vibration, this i can see.
but does it actually keeps the engine temperature very high, does it shorten the engine life due to the
high heat created..

what do you all think

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't think it really effects the life of the engine. i really don't understand what it is for. i have a feeling it is likely there to help get the engine up to temp and keep it there for emissions purposes. my truck just fine without the hood insulation

Reaction score
Ram Year
1988 Dodge D100 truck 1/2 ton
Engine
in New Vehicle Sales and Leasing I was trained it was a "hood blanket" benefit would drop down and help extinguish and engine fire. Didn't tell that to customers. It was a GM dealership

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
my understanding was that it was mostly for engine noise abatement.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I did this to mine about 2 years ago. Did't make a huge difference but i figured it couldn't hurt. I got the stuff from amazon.

truck_hood.jpg