How bad to to with no brake controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We just purchased a 24' travel trailer (tried to keep weight down to make my 1/2 ton happy) which is rated at 4,000/5,000 dry weight. I have a 7 pin connector, trailer has brakes, but I don't have a controller yet. I will be picking it up tomorrow and driving it about 50 miles total. Two questions:

1. How bad is it with no controller or is ok no further than I'm going?
2. What controller(s) do you guys recommend?

TIA.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Prodigy P3 is best on the market, you really should get the controller put on first..

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ what he said, you should get a brake controller before you tow.
If that is a factory 7 pin, the truck probably has all the wiring in place, should be a quick install.
If your buying this from a dealer, I would be surprised if they would let you leave their lot without a brake controller and a weight distribution hitch.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Is it really worth the risk, get the P3 controller, it's worth it weight in gold!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have the P3 and agree that's its pretty much the best brake controller you can get.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Get a controller before towing. The wiring is most likely already installed if your 7 pin is factory. The factory connector for the controller on my 06 2500 was blue in color down near the left bottom of the firewall as I recall. If its factory just get the correct cable for your truck with the controller and it's a breeze to wire up.

Mike

OP
OP
Crazyro

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you guys. I ended up picking up a controller locally (not P3; didn't have them) and found out the previous owner had one as well so everything was already wired up. Quick, 2 minute plug and play. I am glad I got it. I could feel the trailer brakes helping as I got it home. Now to install the WDH and we'll be ready to roll.