how cold are your cold starts and how do you prepare your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Those snow blowers must have good gps. Otherwise how in the heck could they know where the road is.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
After all my cold winters this one is downright warm. Actual positive temps in the day. Haven't seen worse than -15c at night yet. All that preparation and so far no need. In January!

Slayer1962

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I use the remote start whenever i use my truck. Even if it is 85 outside I let it idle a minute or two.
Winter it gets a full 5 minutes minimum .

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I've started mine several times at -40F, which converted to celcius is -40C! I've never plugged it in, pulled in the battery, etc. At -20F I don't even think about it much. It starts right up. I maybe let it idle for a minute or so at that temp and then drive away slowly. These modern trucks don't need the TLC that the older ones needed.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They do start easier, but batteries are still lead acid. I'm not over the top as the block heater doesn't get plugged in until -20 or worse and I run synthetic for it's lower temp pour point. Too much time to lubricate the engine on fire up without. It'll start, but that's hard on the internals if you're trying to pump molasses at fire up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have oilpan heaters on the winter beaters,they start better with just a little 125 watt pan heater then they do with a 500 to 700 watt block heater,plus the little oilpan heaters are cheaper to run.Have my outdoor plugs on switches in the house,flip the switch on the pan heater an hour or 2 before starting and they fire right up.

Reactions: BWL

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well. TX here, and since I have dual, have the heat set and remote. Unless some ice on windshield, run for 5 minutes. But then it does not get much colder than 20 F here, Winter temps stay between 22-25 F. But I get the battery work out on the other end, with summer temps sometimes 110-110 for days to weeks in a row. U know I be remote seating the AC.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That pic caused a double take Stefan,you guys must have the steering wheel on the opposite side over there,lol

They drive on the right side with Left side drive. There may be some right side vehicles there tho, mostly Britain, and a few older colonies drive on the left side.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That pic caused a double take Stefan,you guys must have the steering wheel on the opposite side over there,lol
Lol. Quebec may seem a little backwards to us westerners, but they still drive on the same side of the road.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have oilpan heaters on the winter beaters,they start better with just a little 125 watt pan heater then they do with a 500 to 700 watt block heater,plus the little oilpan heaters are cheaper to run.Have my outdoor plugs on switches in the house,flip the switch on the pan heater an hour or 2 before starting and they fire right up.
At home I have a garage so she stays warm enough. When I plug it in it's at work so energy consumption is not at the top of my list, but a good point for those who plug in on their own dime. Really wouldn't take long to get your money back for the pan heater in energy savings and as long as your antifreeze is good for the conditions it's all you'd need.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
We here in Sweden drive like you guy's

I put it on the right side to not see it and feel it with my knee ;)

Cabin heater is there to minimize ice chiseling on the windscreen, that is a MF

Is there even a right sided Driver option for RAMs? Or any US cars? I know the Mustangs got it last generation but other than that?

Is that cabin heater 110 or 12v? Nice clean install. Not sure I'd have the guts to drill through my bumper skin though.

Thanks! :)

240V! If I remember correct: block heater is at 400W, cabin heater has two stages 1.200W and 1.900W so you can use a standard 240V 10Amp outlet like I have on the outside of the garage or full power on a 16Amp outlet.

Here in Sweden we have low Amps but high Voltage, 400Volt 3-fase outlets in garage is not unusual ( I have 5 or 6) but there are at max 16Amps. Houses have incoming Fuses around 20-25Amps normally.

1kilowatt cost around $0.15-0.16 huge taxes on power here :( So I use a remote control for the outlet so I can activate it from the bedroom or use timer in the remote

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
We here in Sweden drive like you guy's

I put it on the right side to not see it and feel it with my knee ;)

Cabin heater is there to minimize ice chiseling on the windscreen, that is a MF

Is there even a right sided Driver option for RAMs? Or any US cars? I know the Mustangs got it last generation but other than that?

Thanks! :)

240V! If I remember correct: block heater is at 400W, cabin heater has two stages 1.200W and 1.900W so you can use a standard 240V 10Amp outlet like I have on the outside of the garage or full power on a 16Amp outlet.

Here in Sweden we have low Amps but high Voltage, 400Volt 3-fase outlets in garage is not unusual ( I have 5 or 6) but there are at max 16Amps. Houses have incoming Fuses around 20-25Amps normally.

1kilowatt cost around $0.15-0.16 huge taxes on power here :( So I use a remote control for the outlet so I can activate it from the bedroom or use timer in the remote
Lol. I thought you were Canadian. Got you confused with another member. My electricity is closing in on 0.14 a kw/hr nowadays with the monopoly and extra taxes in my province so I too have to watch usage. 200amp service so you can imagine the size of the bill. I try to have a couple drinks before I look at it. That's taxed pretty high too!

Last edited:

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Lol. I thought you were Canadian. Got you confused with another member. My electricity is closing in on 0.14 a kw/hr nowadays with the monopoly and extra taxes in my province so I too have to watch usage. 200amp service so you can imagine the size of the bill. I try to have a couple drinks before I look at it. That's taxed pretty high too!

Hehe, I’ve been called worse things by better people ;) :D

Holy ****! That would cast a fortune here just to have the 200Amp service even without any electricity :O