How do I wake dodge/ram up to fix it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

426yzf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
purchased the truck (2017 2500 6.7) band new nov 19 2017 from a Dealership in Spokane Wa. I have the exhaust smell in the cab at slow or stopped speeds. To the point of watering eyes, throwing up and feeling sick after driving it. Been back to the dealership 6 times. 351 miles, 1200, 1700, 2300, 3000 and 3051 miles. I’ve called ram headquarters 5 times about this and have case number after case number but zero help or fix. $63,000 diesel exhaust chamber!
I’m not asking for everyone’s guess at what’s wrong- i purchased this as my first brand new truck so I didn’t have to wrench on it! I’m not going to work on it myself. I feel This is rams issue to correct .
My question is what else can I do before this truck kills me?
It goes back in on Tuesday.
I’ve talked to the dealership bosses, the dealership corporate chain, ram corporate.
There’s a lot of details with the phone calls that really have hit a nerve but I don’t feel that is needed on here.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If it's that bad, I would imagine the dealer should be able to easily find the leak and/or the truck would be running bad..
I smell something too.. anyone else smell it or is it my imagination?

OP
OP

426yzf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Yes, you would think that. The service people have put their heads in the cab and said wow that’s bad!

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Lemon, also enjoy that snow we are here in Idaho lol

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Oh Try the Couer D'alene(Cant spell I know) Ram. They are the ones who took care of me with my back up camera and were just great. Talk to Jeff. Tell him Jeff with the Line-x truck says hi.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Are these six visits to the same shop, or different ones? I'd try a different dealership, see if you get better results. Some dealerships have great sales departments, and shoddy maintenance/repair departments, and vice versa.

If that fails, I'd read up on the Washington lemon law here, and if you qualify, contact your attorney general to start the process. If they have had it in the shop six times, and are unable to fix it, then something else needs to happen.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What you are describing is hazardous to your health and potentially life threatening. The service guys never should have allowed you to leave the dealership with your truck if they agreed your cab smelled like your exhaust. A tow truck and a loner car should be at your doorstep at this point as far as I am concerned. Who did you speak with at corporate, the janitor?

Roadhouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not to ask a stupid question but when you smell the exhaust are the windows down? Do you have a back slider window that you leave open while you ride down the road?

OP
OP

426yzf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
All windows are closed. Current temp 20 & 30’s. It’s not just a smell, it’s raw exhaust coming in from the vents/heater system. The not so funny joke in the family is- It would smell better if it was the tail pipe in the cab vs this.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it is a different engine, but my former eco diesel was doing what you are describing.

After several trips and parts replaced at the dealer, they found what I think they called a recirculation/bypass tube for the turbo was leaking.

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The NOx is deadly. Stop driving it.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

damnimcooltom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh Try the Couer D'alene(Cant spell I know) Ram. They are the ones who took care of me with my back up camera and were just great. Talk to Jeff. Tell him Jeff with the Line-x truck says hi.

There is no Dodge/Ram/Chrysler/Jeep dealership in Coeur d'Alene anymore. They've all been bought out by Findlay in Post Falls. I have had issues getting work done there, as well.

Which Spokompton dealership are you working with?

OP
OP

426yzf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Lithia dodge, not sure if it’s a good thing dealing with a large corporate chain or not. Either they are big enough they don’t care or they have the correct people/resources in place to correct this issue?

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This was a common complaint over on Cummins forum, guys found out it was the turbo to down pipe needed a little extra tightening.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
One thing you can try is drive your truck one more time, and have your physician draw a blood gas. Then bring the abnormal result to the dealer. If they still can't fix, bring it with you to a lemon law attorney.

damnimcooltom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It couldn't hurt to check with Dishman, I suppose. I don't know anyone over there to recommend anymore. It seems that all dealerships are being acquired by larger corporations.

rowemesp

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn, Crew Cab, 4WD
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd get an inexpensive carbon monoxide detector, put it in your truck and start it (the truck). If the detector goes off, park the truck--don't drive it. If FCA is unresponsive, get a lawyer--it should be a slam-dunk lemon law case.