how do you get the top shock bolts out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motorious

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 rc/sb
Engine
hemi 5.7
ground force springs are shorter than stock so they send shorter shocks with them. heard getting top rear shock bolts out and back in is not fun. any advice?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cut a wrench so its about 3 inches long so it will fit above the gas tank. I can't remember the size but im sure someone else will know

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Motorious

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 rc/sb
Engine
hemi 5.7
thanks. watched 2 videos today on it. a crowfoot, stubby, or crescent with the handle cut down are my options. looks easier if I remove inner fender well first on tank side.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, I also removed the fender on that side. Even with a short wrench it was a pain

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cut a wrench about 3" long & use the closed end. I believe it is a 21 mm. I also marked where the bolt head lined up in the fender liner and drilled it out w/ a paddle bit. That way now I dont have to pull the fender liners or even pull the tires to change the shocks. 20170912_182113.jpg

OP
OP
M

Motorious

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 rc/sb
Engine
hemi 5.7
smart! now paint it flat black so it doesn't show.

OP
OP
M

Motorious

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 rc/sb
Engine
hemi 5.7
yeah, I was attempting levity. haven't figured out how to access the smiley face above.

OP
OP
M

Motorious

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 rc/sb
Engine
hemi 5.7
one last thing: shocks are installed at factory BEOFRE THE BED IS PUT ON. well, ya-yuh! we'll all just remove our beds first and shock swap will be a cinch!

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This bolt was a huge pain for me. I honestly can not remember exactly what I did, but I think I used a some kind of socket wrench set up with a swivel. I was able to get just enough bite to hold that thing in place.

You need to have the wheel well liner removed.

This is one of those things where you wish the engineers would of thought this through more. I mean, they definitely could of done something to make this a little easier (even giving a slightly large notch out so you can more easier get a socket on the bolt).

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This is one of those things where you wish the engineers would of thought this through more. I mean, they definitely could of done something to make this a little easier (even giving a slightly large notch out so you can more easier get a socket on the bolt).

I'm sure they thought it through quite carefully. The thing you have to remember is that after legal requirements, the next two considerations for the engineers are 1> cost of assembly and 2> Driving owners back to the dealer for work. :)

-K

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This bolt was a huge pain for me. I honestly can not remember exactly what I did, but I think I used a some kind of socket wrench set up with a swivel. I was able to get just enough bite to hold that thing in place.

You need to have the wheel well liner removed.

See my post. Makes life alot easier. Turns a 2 hr job into a 30 min job.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See my post. Makes life alot easier. Turns a 2 hr job into a 30 min job.

How did you cut the wrench? Torch? SawZaw?

Can you post a picture of the wrench after modification? I am planning on putting my truck back to stock this weekend, so it would be helpful.
Thanks.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did you cut the wrench? Torch? SawZaw?

Can you post a picture of the wrench after modification? I am planning on putting my truck back to stock this weekend, so it would be helpful.
Thanks.

I used a band saw w/ the wrench in a vice. I will post pics of it when I get home this afternoon

SRR007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You don't need to cut a wrench. Just did mine and you just need a crow foot on an extension with a ratchet. Easy peasy....

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
What size crow foot bud?

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. So I just put my truck back to stock this weekend. We first tried using a swivel socket (which is how we installed it last time, though it did not work well) but we really get it right.

Went to the store and got a 21 mm wrench. Cut the wrench down to 3 inch. Made the job so easy.

You can just slip it on, and tighten or loosen. You do not even need to hold it because it will rotate until it catches on the frame.

Definitely would recommend this method to anyone messing with the upper shock mount. I appreciate the tip.

The total length is 3”. Attached a photo.

9A6A01C9-5365-4D14-BA96-122631F92257.jpeg

SRR007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sorry took so long to reply. 21mm Like post above. Had one in my arcenal and worked perfect.

Greg Seymour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008, 2009, 2012, 2013
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just removed the bed. I think it really was less time. I do have a big healthy strong boy though. That does help. If your alone that is not an option