how do you tell if the class IV hitch receiver is included on a truck by invoice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakotamar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just negotiated a new truck and get it home to find out it doesn't have a class IV hitch receiver. didn't really pay particular attention (my fault) when nego. for it as I looked at another truck that was supposed to be it's twin. the twin had running boards and mud flaps which i didn't want so was told the other i saw was a twin and we started on that. both invoices are exactly the same but one doesn't have a class IV hitch receiver.
should a 2017 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab 140.5" Night come with a class IV hitch receiver?

what does 'Towing w/Harness and Trailer Sway Control' suggest or mean?

only reason i am questioning this is because the dealer removed lock nuts from the truck also without saying anything. when i found out the sales guy said I should've noticed it wasn't on the invoice......nice eh....
Dak.

Last edited:

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you questioning a hitch or a tow package? I don't believe hitch is included in any tow package nor is the tow package standard. OTOH, from your comment about the lock nuts being removed I wonder about the dealer. I believe the sticker on my truck states that line you quoted or something similar although I don't have it at my fingertips. I have a receiver and on the dash the brake control. The truck was bought as a used CPO and the receiver was obviously used, but I never saw a truck on a lot with the actual ball.

What you are stating reminds me of a story I heard many years ago of the guy who ordered his brand new van with a "spare wheel and jack" and was shocked to find the tire itself was not included! When he questioned the salesman about no tire he was told "you didn't order one".

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It says it on my window sticker under “optional equipment”.

32852CFE-AAC5-4E02-8F99-7165322A435E.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dakotamar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yea mine doesn't show one in the optional equipment. neither did the other truck. my friend that works at the dealer just emailed me back to say it was a dealer add on, on the other truck, apparently most of the trucks on their lot they add them on. guess I will have to really walk around and look over any next purchase with a fine tooth comb and not take someone's word for it.

OP
OP
D

dakotamar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are you questioning a hitch or a tow package? I don't believe hitch is included in any tow package nor is the tow package standard. OTOH, from your comment about the lock nuts being removed I wonder about the dealer. I believe the sticker on my truck states that line you quoted or something similar although I don't have it at my fingertips. I have a receiver and on the dash the brake control. The truck was bought as a used CPO and the receiver was obviously used, but I never saw a truck on a lot with the actual ball.

What you are stating reminds me of a story I heard many years ago of the guy who ordered his brand new van with a "spare wheel and jack" and was shocked to find the tire itself was not included! When he questioned the salesman about no tire he was told "you didn't order one".

none of the trucks have the actual ball. I am talking about the receiver not being there. will update the subject

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dad bought a 12 ram yrs ago. Came with the trailer tow package minus the hitch you mount the trailer too! He was pissed to say the least and just expected it to be there as part of the package. Lesson learned!

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes, i was able to get the window sticker. doesn't show up there as having a receiver. wasn't on either trucks window sticker.

Then if one of the trucks had a receiver, it must have been installed by the dealership.

OP
OP
D

dakotamar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
anyone know if there is a difference between the 2009 hitch and 2017? both 4th gen trucks, same mounts?

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just negotiated a new truck and get it home to find out it doesn't have a class IV hitch receiver. didn't really pay particular attention (my fault) when nego. for it as I looked at another truck that was supposed to be it's twin. the twin had running boards and mud flaps which i didn't want so was told the other i saw was a twin and we started on that. both invoices are exactly the same but one doesn't have a class IV hitch receiver.
should a 2017 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab 140.5" Night come with a class IV hitch receiver?

what does 'Towing w/Harness and Trailer Sway Control' suggest or mean?

only reason i am questioning this is because the dealer removed lock nuts from the truck also without saying anything. when i found out the sales guy said I should've noticed it wasn't on the invoice......nice eh....
Dak.

I think if you have wiring and sway bar you should have a hitch. Check and see if you have a towing package and if the hitch has been removed. Check your window sticker.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
When we bought our old 1500, there were two nearly identical trucks. Both had the tow package. One didn't have the receiver. I opted for the one with the receiver.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When we bought our old 1500, there were two nearly identical trucks. Both had the tow package. One didn't have the receiver. I opted for the one with the receiver.
My '17 1500 Ram Crewcab has the towing package, came with class 4 hitch and wiring, with electric brake control. Also rear bumper is rated at class 3 for towing lighter units.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel