How do you use/utilize 4WD in your Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having come from a decade of driving an AWD 300C Hemi, it's interesting to have my first vehicle that has switchable 2WD/4WD.

I've had my Ram for several months now, and am starting to use the 4WD a bit. I basically run in 2WD. But I've noticed in the rain that I can get unnecessary rear wheel spin when taking off from a red light etc, and now in the rain I run in 4WD auto. I haven;t researched enough yet, but I am wondering what is the benefit/detriment in my usage to run either 4WD auto or 4WD lock. I figure if I want to ensure good traction in wet conditions why not just use 4WD lock.

I certainly know come winter I'll be in 4WD a bit, and by then I will have learned thoroughly about the variants in 4WD. Since I don't off-road, I can't see me using 4WD low much, if ever.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I Usually just leave mine on auto so if the rear wheels start slipping, then the front will kick in when needed. You could run 4WD all the time if you wanted as it is essentially like AWD in these trucks these days, couldn't do that with old Rams obviously, but that would mostly just be a waste of gas.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
this is my first 4x4 and truck... ive only gone in to 4x4 once to try it in the rain...felt a difference when making a tight turn and havent gone back.. lol

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven't used it yet, but probably will at some point during the winter. This winter I had to use it quite a bit but we had the most snow we have had in a looong time, but I had my Silverado then.

Occasionally might use it hunting or camping but 98% of the time don't need it.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definetly use mine in the winter or when i pull a car out of a ditch, going up to the pinenut hills in gardnerville, nv is like the goldmine hill trail on TFLTruck so that requires 4x4. I love going into 4x4 it almost feels like im in a different animal than just a grocery grabber. :favorites13:

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm also suprised how well the 4x4 with stock tires does on the beach deeper sand and going uphill in that sand to leave the beach. short story is I won a bet that my truck couldnt do drive on the beach or go uphill in sand. easy 20 bucks right there

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you shouldnt drive around in 4x4 lock unless your on loose ground like dirt, sand or snow. if your engaging 4x4 lock on pavement, to get up a steep hill or something along those lines, keep it in a straight line. theres no harm in driving around in the rain in 4x4 auto, i just personally dont see the point. wheelspin in the rain is corrected by managing the throttle and/or getting good tires. ive never felt the need for 4wd in the rain in any truck ive owned.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ram Hemi's are notorious for breaking loose at stop signs in rain, it is the high HP and low bed weight. In fact most full size trucks are the same. It is more of just learning how to drive it, in the rain guys shouldn't be pushing the issue with trucks. Time to grandpa that peddle in the rain.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What he said - use auto when on a solid surface like pavement or concrete and avoid sharp turns- use lock when on loose surfaces such as sand/mud/snow/ice/dirt.
People may say that 4x4 use should not exceed 35 or even 55mph. That is just a safety thing because if u need 4x4 then it is presumed you are in bad weather and slower speeds are suggested for Safety. When I travel north in the winter I've ran 75mph consitantly in 4x4 and never had issues. I am talking like 300miles one way. Remember 4inches of water moving at like 10mph or greater can move something like 20 pounds per square inch- which can easily move your rear tires. It all comes down to judgement. Use you're brain

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I use it in Auto every time it rains. Otherwise, all I do is spin out.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have 4Auto you can use it virtually anytime. I switch mine to auto in bad weather, other than that Im usually in 2wd. You can feel it when you are in 4auto and floor it, it takes some uph away. Offroad I will use 2wd until I feel slip unless its real lose then 4x4hi or low, not auto.. Remember if you get stuck in 4x4, you are stuck. If you get stuck in 2wd you can dig yourself out most of the time.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When i use to drive a 94 silverado i would always spin out at a stop light in the rain so what i did was put it in low gear and then put it back in drive once i had got some momentum going.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You can feel it when you are in 4auto and floor it, it takes some uph away.

It's actually the opposite for me with my high HP setup, I actually seem to get more of a "leap" off the line when in auto since the rear tires will break loose otherwise. :gr_grin:

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use it in Auto every time it rains. Otherwise, all I do is spin out.

This is exactly why I started to use 4WD Auto. I'm not flooring it off a stop, but it just seems too easy to spin the rear wheels. This morning in rain I just left the house in 4WD Auto. It felt so much more stable leaving a red light, no spin, and felt I had more control.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
you shouldnt drive around in 4x4 lock unless your on loose ground like dirt, sand or snow. if your engaging 4x4 lock on pavement, to get up a steep hill or something along those lines, keep it in a straight line. theres no harm in driving around in the rain in 4x4 auto, i just personally dont see the point. wheelspin in the rain is corrected by managing the throttle and/or getting good tires. ive never felt the need for 4wd in the rain in any truck ive owned.

This. The only time I spin the tires is intentionally, or after driving my 1987 RV jumping right into the truck... To say there's a difference in throttle and power from that old rig to the Hemi is an understatement. But it's a very tame beast when you keep the right foot in check.

Here in Florida I'll throw it on when launching/trailering a boat; likely not necessary most of the time, but I've seen YouTube fails. In MI, it'll come on when there's snow covering the entire road. Otherwise, it's for offroad when the wheels spin. And since I have the part time transfer case, the likelihood of overheating is drastically reduced....

SD38-2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ease up on the skinny peddle a little when it rains. I only use 4wd in snow or in mud/ loose terrain. I normally won't use the 4wd in snow until it's at least an inch or two deep, the right amount of weight in the bed helps with traction in the winter. The factory tires aren't the best in wet, snowy, or muddy conditions. A good set of tires helps alot. My old 2nd gen cummins 2500 was a different story, it was very front end heavy that it would spin the tires very easy no matter the conditions. I used the 4wd alot in it in wet pavement.

Reactions: SyN

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What kind of rain do you guys get that you need 4x4 to not spin from a stop? Or are you walking on the skinny pedal?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
What kind of rain do you guys get that you need 4x4 to not spin from a stop? Or are you walking on the skinny pedal?

Florida, which is the same as living in Burma. It is so slick when it rains here, that 2wd is useless.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Didn't know that. I wonder why? Gotta be an explanation. I am more curious than anything.

Florida, which is the same as living in Burma. It is so slick when it rains here, that 2wd is useless.

^Kind of an exageration... To Smurf, I saw you live in Canada, correct? After living in Michigan for most of my life, but most of the last 6 years in Florida sprinkled with time in TX and VA, there are several conclusions that can be made. Roads that aren't destroyed by salt and anti snow antics are generally very smooth, especially when well used/worn. Also, more sun prone areas, such as FL, TX, etc also get less rain/inclement weather, to include snow, which has 2 negative effects. The first is more road grime build up, such as vehicle oils and fluids, dust, tire particles, etc aren't washed off as much. Secondly, people living in such areas aren't used to it. The 2 often go hand in hand to make it even worse. However, anyone who spends months (probably half the year in Smurfs case :favorites13:) driving in snow is going to be more generally cautious as well as more experienced driving in situations where there could actually be no traction, as opposed to simply trying to be modern Jesus and driving on water...

If I had the auto transfer case, I would leave it on at least auto all the time, rain, snow, or shine. There's no reason not to; it's designed to be dummy proof and can be left on ready to go if something crazy happens. I'm all about using all the tools in the box. But claiming 2WD is useless or wheels won't stop spinning because of rain? That's a case of leadfootitis and/or bad tires. Easily preventable and curable.