How does the trailer anti-sway feature work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read about it, but all it really says is it helps to reduce sway by applying braking accordingly. Does it work at highway speeds or only low speed? Can you feel it in action? Does it apply only when the trailer sways extremely bad?

What's been your experience? When does it come in handy? Are there any negative aspects to it?

Thanks

ramhornet15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does work, it felt as if ABS was being applied, it got me out of a sketchy situation at 70 mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The vehicle can detect and correct trailer sway likely before the driver realizes there was a problem. They should use a visual indicator so the driver knows the trailer/vehicle load balance isn't correct. Once trailer sway becomes extreme, I doubt it can be corrected.

I've never head of trailer sway at low speeds.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The vehicle can detect and correct trailer sway likely before the driver realizes there was a problem. They should use a visual indicator so the driver knows the trailer/vehicle load balance isn't correct. Once trailer sway becomes extreme, I doubt it can be corrected.

I've never head of trailer sway at low speeds.

Only way i know of is to apply the trailer brakes only via the manual slider on the electric brake control. Beyond that, I've heard of trying to accelerate out of it, but that does not seem like a good option to me.

As stated, it's important to have proper tongue weight and as level as possible of the trailer when hitched to the truck to prevent sway

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I read about it, but all it really says is it helps to reduce sway by applying braking accordingly. Does it work at highway speeds or only low speed? Can you feel it in action? Does it apply only when the trailer sways extremely bad?

What's been your experience? When does it come in handy? Are there any negative aspects to it?

Thanks

From what I heard, there's a single hair from Chuck Norris's body that is painted over in the truck bed, and this makes everything work fine. It works fine, and is in order because the truck and everything attached is Terrified!

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Only way i know of is to apply the trailer brakes only via the manual slider on the electric brake control. Beyond that, I've heard of trying to accelerate out of it, but that does not seem like a good option to me.

As stated, it's important to have proper tongue weight and as level as possible of the trailer when hitched to the truck to prevent sway
A combination of both is what I was always taught. Like pulling a rope straight. Apply the trailer brake then give it a bit of gas to straighten out. Thankfully I've never been in an emergency situation like that yet, but I have used this to straighten a wobbly trailer enough to pull over so I could move the load forward a bit.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks

I've had it correct for me a couple times towing a 14 foot 6000 pound trailer on a unfamiliar winding highway, with dips an rises, high winds, monsoon type rain... 60mph just the kind of stuff that will throw a trailer out of control when you are not paying attention. It worked quickly and effectively, before I realized I could be in trouble, a real quick ABS type noise, traction control light on. If you have a brake controller, it may sense the brakes being applied and apply some trailer brake. I dunno. The motorcycle hauler type cargo trailer didn't support WDH or sway control, so I was towing naked. :)

cdgoodling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The system runs through your ABS system. When it detects trailer sway it will automatically apply trailer brake only until sway is not detected. When I am towing I can feel the sway control kick in. You can really feel it working when passing or being passed by a tractor trailer. I like the system and I've used quite system over time.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

That's correct, light pressure on the brake control and the trailer will straighten up.

moparsigfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Trailer sway control uses the tow vehicles abs system to apply rear brake pressure and the ECU controls to reduce engine power output to counteract the swaying of the trailer. I know this is a Ford video but all manufacturers use the same control systems:
https://youtu.be/jBHFDhd7638
Another big consideration is weight distribution:
https://youtu.be/4jk9H5AB4lM

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 BigHorn Quad 5.7 with the trailer brake control, and I have an anti-sway hitch on my 2800#/wet pop-up. Does my truck's trailer brake control have an anti-sway, or is that a separate option. If so, am I just super anti-sway ready (haven't towed with the new truck yet), or will there be a conflict?

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the link. What I got out of that is it applies the brakes, but doesn't say how or which brakes and when, did I miss something. Just curious if notices a certain frequency and works brakes at certain corners to counteract the frequency? Also, does it apply the trailer brakes too, mabye a little more than the trucks brakes to straighten the whole truck/trailer unit out? But overall, it's good to hear that it works out pretty well.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modern trailer sway control is part of stability control which applies the brake to individual wheels based on what it thinks is the best thing to do. It analyses yaw sensors, wheel speed, steering angle... maybe other sensors to determine the best course of action for the situation detected.

Since your brake controller senses brakes being applied, its also going to apply some trailer brake, but your mileage may vary.

All these apply correction after sway is detected, so you feel some sway. Trailer sway control hitches and most add on systems prevent sway before it happens (or reduce it dramatically) and therefore it will feel more stable.

Last edited:

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It does work, it felt as if ABS was being applied, it got me out of a sketchy situation at 70 mph

What he said. Right before I was about to crap my pants and after I already tried the manual trailer breaks and accelerating, the truck magically stopped my now sliding back and fourth rear end with about 3 seconds of abs control. I was amazed I didn't die and thankful for the sway control

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Question, is the sway control only on the factory sway controller or does it work with aftermarket? I didn't notice and sway correction with a aftermarket brake controller on my 2013 w/tow package, but installing factory controller next week.

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question, is the sway control only on the factory sway controller or does it work with aftermarket? I didn't notice and sway correction with a aftermarket brake controller on my 2013 w/tow package, but installing factory controller next week.

Just a guess but I would imagine it would not work with the aftermarket one but will work when you have the factory unit installed provided the dealer does the flash.

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
I have a 2017 BigHorn Quad 5.7 with the trailer brake control, and I have an anti-sway hitch on my 2800#/wet pop-up. Does my truck's trailer brake control have an anti-sway, or is that a separate option. If so, am I just super anti-sway ready (haven't towed with the new truck yet), or will there be a conflict?
I can’t imagine using a wdh with that trailer. I say that as someone who’s trailered a lot, and sometimes over gcwr. Seems like overkill. Edit: not trying to be the internet king of trailering. Just my opinion.

Last edited: