how hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by moondogmike, Jul 12, 2016.

1. moondogmike

moondogmike Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    v10
    I have a 96 ram with a v10. I just acquired a 31 foot travel trailer, before that I towed a 23 foot ski boat. On a regular day she runs between 185 to 200, but when I tow, she runs 200+ and going up a grade she gets up to about 230. I have talked to several people and I really never get the same answer. Is this too hot, should I be concerned? Btw engine is about 5yrs old and over the years I have replaced the thermostat, radiator, fan clutch, hoses, sensors etc. Also another question on the fan, should it be in a push or pull configuration? Thanks for any help I can get...

2. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1998 Ram 1500
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Fans should always be on a pull configuration IMO as in a push config at speed it merely becomes a hindrance. IMO, one should only run a pusher fan in an off road-only vehicle.

For the temps, that is definitely hot for my taste, especially if you have an automatic transmission with the cooler still in the radiator. What kind of speeds and grades are you pulling this boat up? With as much torque as a V10 makes it should be seeing THOSE kind of temperatures.

What I would definitely do is hook a manual temperature gauge inline with the factory sending unit to see what that engine is REALLY running.

3. dapepper9

dapepper9 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L V8
    +1. Verify temp. If still bad, double check that you're running the correct coolant as well as not pure antifreeze. Check you oil and make sure you don't have a small headgasket leak or something as well.

4. moondogmike

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    v10
    To Dodgedude94, the speeds I go is usually 55 and the grades aren't extreme at all. Should I take trans cooler lines out of radiator and bypass it? I think I am going to run a separate temp gauge for coolant and for trans too. thanks. To Dapepper9, oil is clean and I ran the prestone 50/50 premix. Should I try something else? Thanks...

5. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1998 Ram 1500
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Indeed. Being that you live in California, you can safely delete the radiator trans cooler, I would also get a larger aftermarket auxilary cooler for the trans.

Separate gauges are a good start. Figure out what it's running and go from there.

Tryin likes this.
  6. dudeman2009

dudeman2009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
    Engine:
    Magnum 360
    210 is as hot as id ever want to see these engines. I had a problem with my thermostat freezing shut this past winter when temps dropped to negative 20. My temps went up to about 240 and I could smell burning before I got to a safe place to shut it down. After 10 minutes I started it back up and floored it, then the thermostat opened right up.

I'd get a cheap thermocouple or non contact thermometer and check the temp right around the coolant temp sensor. With a thermocouple, you are going to want to press it right up to the block, but use a rag or something as your finger being on the probe will skew its reading, on a non-contact try to get the highest reading and go with that, not the average.

dodge dude94 likes this.
  7. moondogmike

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    v10
    So I think Im going to run trans cooler lines away from the radiator. whats the best way to do this step by step? Thanks...

8. moondogmike

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    v10
    Okay so I didn't run trans lines. I did notice the temp gauge sensor was broken. So I went got a new sensor and now I can't get it below 200 degrees. Im lost please help..

9. gofishn

gofishn Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram 1500 Express 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" Short Box
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
    What temp is the thermostat? Whatever the temp, once it hits that temp, it should open and allow fluid, from the radiator, into the engine block, thus cooling it and dropping the temperature. If cooled fluid , from teh radiator, is not dropping your engines temperature, then something is preventing that radiator fluid from cooling, sufficiently.

Blocked channels, improper fan placement, relative to radiator enclosure, etc.

Start from scratch, remove all fluid from radiator and engine.. add fresh, properly mixed fluid. Burp the engine to insure no air pockets in your fluid pathways. run your motor and see wh t the normal operating temps are, with no load.

work your engine by towimng or adding bed weight. check temps.

if still too high, replace thermostat with new, lower temp thermostat. not unheard of, for a new thermostat to be bad, frech out of the box.

dodge dude94 likes this.
  10. moondogmike

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    v10
    Okay gofishn, not to sound stupid, but how do you "burp" the system? Thanks...