How many of you use a trade when you acquire your Ram ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I thought that my youngest wanted our Subaru, but I’ve found out other wise. I’ve never used a car as a trade in so this is new to me. Car has been paid off forever lol, just I can’t drive it anymore due to my injuries.b7d42f3c7e03dd11a1216ee3eff8da99.jpg

Father Of Four

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I thought that my youngest wanted our Subaru, but I’ve found out other wise. I’ve never used a car as a trade in so this is new to me. Car has been paid off forever lol, just I can’t drive it anymore due to my injuries.b7d42f3c7e03dd11a1216ee3eff8da99.jpg

Father Of Four
Go on Kelly Blue Book and get a value of the car, then take it to the stealership and see what they offer you. Pretty easy, but know what you should get for the car before you go in.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Father Of Four

I most always use a trade in. I ain’t gonna lie to you every time I’ve used a trade it’s always upside down meaning I owed more than they(dealership)wanted to pay for it.
Now my last trade was the exception to the rule. 2010 2SS Camaro triple black. They paid it off and I didn’t have any upside down. They wanted that car badly. 7yrs old and 35K on it. That’s the secondary reason I pulled the trigger on my 18

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I most always use a trade in. I ain’t gonna lie to you every time I’ve used a trade it’s always upside down meaning I owed more than they(dealership)wanted to pay for it.
Now my last trade was the exception to the rule. 2010 2SS Camaro triple black. They paid it off and I didn’t have any upside down. They wanted that car badly. 7yrs old and 35K on it. That’s the secondary reason I pulled the trigger on my 18

Exactly what brianandchristie said

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeap I traded my 07 Cummins in on my 2016 Hemi.

Like was stated make sure you know what your trade is worth before going in.

TJames

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You’ll likely make more if you private sell it, over what the dealership would offer. But check both avenues either way. I bought my first ram and traded the dealer a vehicle in the process. The ram I just purchased came after I private sold my 2014. I went the private sale route bc it put more cash in my pocket. Thing with private selling is it can be tedious and you usually deal with people trying to low ball you. So it depends on what your situation is really. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep kbb so you have any idea on wht it’s worth also u can find similar cars like yours for sale to get an idea. FYI be careful when negotiating prices when you have a trade in, if the dealers giving you more then kbb better believe they’re not going to come off much if any on the MSRP on whatever your buying. They’ll make their money back that way and make you feel like you got a deal or something.

Also I never mention that I’m trading in a vehicle and if they ask I say no. That way you negotiate the price on the truck itself and then once it comes to the financing parts that’s when I’ll let them shoot me a offer on my trade in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I traded my Cheby mailbu for my Ram. That's the first time I've done it. Normally I sell em outright. Traded my wife's Acadia for her Explorer too. On both we were after the end goal, not as worried about trying to dump 2 cars and wait for them to be sold. I knew we'd not get top dollar for the trades

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I always sell my vehicles myself, I hate getting screwed on trades, but I don't finance vehicles either so I don't need to do a trade to qualify for financing or to increase my down or any of that ****.

I got way more than KBB for my '08 when I finally sold it a few months ago.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Also depends how much they want your trade and how much they want to sell what they have.
I got kkb on my 07 and got like 11k off my 16, I have had this go down that way a few times.
Just watch the difference in trade and new truck price as some dealers will start the ******** about what do you want your payment to be and try to run around how much money you are fixing to give them.

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^. That’s exactly how most of my buying experience starts, how much do you want your monthly payments to be lol. For that I reply with, how much do you want to make off of me. That tends to shut them down real quick. I’ve had this car for 9 years so by my calculations KBB lists it as about $6500 trade wise.

As far as Not telling them I’m trading in, well that part is easy as I really don’t speak much when purchasing vehicles. To me what I am willing to pay speaks volumes. Especially based upon the fact that I do not need their vehicle. I’m also not adverse to them keeping the lights on, I just don’t want them plugged into my home to do it. [emoji1531]

Father Of Four

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Years ago I had a GM dealer that would not tell me the price of the car I was trying to buy off of them all he kept asking is what a good monthly payment would be, We finally just got up and left.
Some of them are just to crooked..lol

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For me, you get ONE chance to make that sale. I’m not rude about it, but my time is valuable and I’m not guaranteed a lot of it, so I have to make it count. :)

Father Of Four

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Make sure you get at minimum low KBB for private party.

Yes even though its trade in @ dealer.

My 2005 Frontier was traded in over KBB at the time - for my 14 hemi

My 2014 Ram quad cab big horn 4x4 was $500 less then avg KBB private party when I traded it in for a 17.

Both were traded to a CDJR Dealer, they will of course tell you 5k less then kbb private party right away, its up to you to say no - you want this trade or not.

IMO and it counters alot of others, but you are actually giving the dealer 2 transactions, the transaction of selling the new or used vehicle your purchasing, and another transaction of cleaning and selling it again. So I actually force my way for higher discounts when I am using a trade in.

Dont play games with me (salesperson) my last truck was traded in at 21k and listed 1 week later @ 28k and sold, so my trade in was looked over then given a CPO rating and netted your dealer a easy 7k +/- commission.

This only kinda works if you have cars that the dealer wants, if your trying to trade a chevy at a ram dealer it may not work out as well for you.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I usually trade because I don' need or want the bs of private selling stuff which is a pita. As said research and know what your trade is worth, use nada or kbb, etc.

Negotiate in total out the door price and know what you want to pay. Never talk payment. It's way too easy to hide stuff when you talk in monthly payment. Good luck.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Traded in My 2014 GMC Sierra SLT on My 2016 Big Horn Crew Cab... hated the way that 6-speed Sierra shifted!!...

Did the same with my 2015 Silverado. Couldn't agree more! The gm 6 speed is junk!