How To: 13-14 premium cluster upgrade

Discussion in '4th Gen DIY' started by cody4130, Sep 12, 2014.

1. cody4130

cody4130 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Just like the title says

Tools needed:

1 towel or similar

T20 torx bit

9/32 or 7mm socket

Ratchet

First cover the top of your steering column with a towl to prevent scratches. Trust me the cluster is a tight fit for install and removal and you will scratch it if you don't cover it.

Second remove the 4 T20 torx screws from the top of the cluster bezel and push down lightly on the top of the bezel pushing it down about 1" releasing it from the dash. Once the top is free of the dash pull straight out on the bottom part of the bezel it is held in by two clips.

Next remove the two 9/32" bolts in the bottom corners of the cluster. These are the only things holding the cluster in place. Once they are removed rotate the passenger side of the cluster to the left. You should be able to reach behind and unplug the cluster.

Once the cluster is unplugged rotate it back around and pull it out toward the steering wheel. Then rock the bottom towards the wheel and feed the top up behind the wheel and pull it out through the top. You may need to tilt the wheel up or down and move the cluster around to find the "sweet spot". my express cluster came out easier than my premium one went in due to a slightly different shape.

Installation is the reverse of removal remember to be gentle and try not to fingerprint the lens up. Plastic cling wrap can be applied to your new cluster prior to installation to prevent unwanted fingerprints

Enjoy your new fancier cluster :)

Attached Files:

R.L.K., hipnotikrcr and z28th1s like this.
  2. N1ck

N1ck Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    For sure keeping my eye open for a km/h cluster to swap!

3. cody4130

cody4130 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    FYI I bought a new one from a supplier with 0miles and it worked just fine in my truck have over 150 on it now. My truck had a liittle over 2k on the express cluster. Only discrepancy I notice is in "hours driven and hours idle" menu. It reads really long numbers, in the millions, but the "Total" number is correct .

4. S2kiHemi

S2kiHemi Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    So your miles are off now?

5. cody4130

cody4130 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Whatever miles the cluster you buy has is what will be displayed. The miles are in the clusters memory not the trucks. If the cluster you buy has more miles it will show more miles, less it will show less. My truck had 2k my cluster had 0 so it started over at 0.
    If you need/want (leased truck, ect) the mileage to be exactly the same as when you took your old cluster out my suggestion is buy a premium cluster as soon as you buy your truck they are less than $500 new at the dealership.
    I bought my truck outright and do my own service so I'm not worried about the small 2k mile difference between what my truck had and what my new cluster has.

6. 14RamRod

14RamRod Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    Thanks for the info. There goes another $500. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikingofthedisco likes this.
  7. cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 Pentastar

Could you please add the part number for the premium cluster to the write up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. cody4130

cody4130 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    P/N 56046544AF is the one I used description says it's for a SLT/Laramie but I'm certain there are other numbers for different models like longhorn and limited.

9. Speedy12139

Speedy12139 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I'm curious, does the screen in the middle show different information? can you post a few more photos?

I had wondered if this, and the middle part of the dashboard (the bit that has the nav unit) is a direct swap into the older rams

10. cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 Pentastar

The 13 and 14 Rams have a different plug for the instrument cluster than the older 4th generation trucks. The older 4th generation trucks had 2 plugs while the 13 and 14 have only 1.

Sent from Skynet terminal 142a5