How To: 13-14 premium cluster upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I pm'ed him several days ago about this and haven't gotten a reply. It says he hasn't been on the forum since 12/18.

He also says in another sales thread on that forum that he had someone adjust the mileage through the OBD connection. I'd love to hear from him who provided that service but he hasn't replied to that question yet.

plarkinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
I am going to ask again: Has anybody successfully installed the premium cluster in a truck with the 3.0 radio? Were you able to program the user-options on the new bigger EVIC with the steering wheel buttons you used to program them on your old 3.5" EVIC?

I'm in the same boat as you, uconnect 3.0 and a diesel. I'd love to do the swap, just not sure if I'd lose the evic options if I swap the cluster. not a huge deal I suppose, since I've only gone into those settings once.

I think there are other companies that reset the clusters, dealer might be able to do it too.

Wangtang, it might still be a problem: What if the cluster you get has language set to say German, or it has an option enabled that you really want off (like honk on lock)? Would we be stuck with those?

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is someone who did this in the "what did you do you your 4th gen this week" thread. He said he had A 3.0. He also did the 8.4 upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z28th1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my cluster back from the Intrument Cluster Store today. I drove the 44 miles that I needed to get the mileage and drive/idle hours correct and pulled over off the the side of the road and swapped the cluster.

The idle and drive hours were correct and just what I requested them to be. I had requested the mileage to be 3,200.0 miles. The cluster reads 0.0 miles. The idle and drive hours are reading the correct numbers that I requested.

I contacted Steph at ICS and she asked if I had disconneted the battery before doing the swap. I said that I didn't because the instructions I got for swapping this out didn't say to disconnect the battery.

This was her reply:

It doesn't happen often. Hardly ever but it does happen - especially on GM Trucks. We wouldn't have sent you something with ZERO miles - it gets checked twice before it is out the door - something wiped the eeprom.

So now I have to swap the cluster back out and send it back to them to correct the mileage. I will now have to recalculate mileage, idle and drive hours and wait for them to get the cluster, correct it and get it back to me!

This has been a pain in the ass and has really been a much more expensive upgrade than I had initially figured with ICS raising the cost from $200 to $300 and now I'm going to have to pay postage again.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I contacted Steph at ICS and she asked if I had disconneted the battery before doing the swap. I said that I didn't because the instruction I got for swapping this out didn't say to disconnect the battery.
So are they saying that you should or should not disconnect the battery?

z28th1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So are they saying that you should or should not disconnect the battery?

They are saying that I should have disconnected the battery! Nobody had ever mentioned disconnecting the battery when they made the swap so I didn't do it.

They were saying that a voltage spike wiped that 'line' of the PCM clean, that is why the mileage is reading 0.0 miles.

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Wow, I am glad that didn't happen when I reinstalled mine! Sorry to hear this, That does suck!

z28th1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, I am glad that didn't happen when I reinstalled mine! Sorry to hear this, That does suck!

Yes, it does!! I wish I would have known, it would have been a whole easier, less expensive and a whole lot less trouble to have just disconnected the battery.

I swapped the clusters back out a few minutes ago and boxed the new cluster back up so that I can send it back to ICS tomorrow.

SuperTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Trying to find one that has about 14k miles or more, if someone can help. I've looked on car-part.com, ebay, etc. and can't find one.

SuperTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I finally found one with the help of another member on here.
-Check car-part.com under 2013, dodge truck -1500, Speedometer, in USA, enter your ZIP code and hit search,
- it should show the different types (3.5 MPH, 3.5 KPH, 7", etc.). Select whichever, then hit search.
-In the top right hand corner, click where it says "click here for to see all non-interchange choices".
-Select "Non-Interchange search using Dodge Truck-1500 (1994 Up) and similar models", years 2013-2015. Click Search.

Now you have a **** ton listed, I recommend contacting these places to make sure it's a premium cluster and the right year and mileage you're looking for.

That should help.

Last edited:

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I recommend contacting these places to make sure it's a premium cluster and the right year and mileage you're looking for.

That should help.

Be very sure to contact the company as choosing "Non-Interchange" should pull up every speedometer that will fit the truck make and year you've chosen.
Some of the descriptions will specify but a lot of recyclers are calling 3.5" EVIC clusters deluxe because the ones from 09-12 with the 3.5" EVIC were the deluxe version and they haven't caught up to the change.

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Can this be changed as plug and play on the 2011 Express as well? I want the updated cluster if possible.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Can this be changed as plug and play on the 2011 Express as well? I want the updated cluster if possible.

No, the 2009-2012 Clusters have a different plug then the 13+ do. You're only option for a nicer cluster if you do not have an EVIC Screen is to get one of these clusters that have a 3.5" evic screen gauges.jpg

Indaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I really want to do this mod on my express but I have a couple questions..

If I were to get one of these and have the millage accurate when swapped, will I have any issues with warranty work? If the cluster itself dies, i'm sure they will know it didn't come with the truck and wont replace it and then i'm SOL right?

Also, If I were to trade the truck into a dealership for a new vehicle, is it illegal to have these swapped?

Thanks!

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Check with your dealer and see if they installed it and have the mileage changed would they warranty it. You will most likely be without you truck until they do it.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I really want to do this mod on my express but I have a couple questions..

If I were to get one of these and have the millage accurate when swapped, will I have any issues with warranty work? If the cluster itself dies, i'm sure they will know it didn't come with the truck and wont replace it and then i'm SOL right?

Also, If I were to trade the truck into a dealership for a new vehicle, is it illegal to have these swapped?

Thanks!
The only thing that would make it illegal is if you commited odometer fraud by not having the correct mileage showing and you were not disclosing that fact.
You can go to the DMV and get a form you fill out to report the discrepancy and make it not odometer draud here in Missouri. I wanted the mileage to match on my truck.