How-To: 4th gen hemi cam installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So with as many miles as I have on my truck I probably should replace the oil pump correct?

I am also replacing my Radiator (Have about 4 JB Welded holes over the years) also pretty clogged with 240K miles on it.
I am also replacing my AC condenser because the lines to my trans were clogged when I replaced the trans about a year ago. They were flushed but I don't trust it.
Water pump and ATI pulley were done about 6mo ago so good there.

I am starting the removal of everything tomorrow. Planning on trying to us my phone to take some pics to add to this for the OP. Gong with the Greene .5 HL Cam kit :)

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What would you recommend to use to pull off an ATI Pulley if you have one already?

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
If it were me, I'd take the opportunity and replace the oil pump although by nature I don't think it'll get worn out, doesn't hurt though. I think a typical three arm puller will work on the ATI pulley, should be able to borrow one or rent it from O'Reilly/Autozone etc.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Kurtis Holland /Charonblk isn't on here much these days.You can track him down on facebook on either Tuned Rams or High Performance Rams etc..Seems like most of the fast guys have migrated to facebook lately.

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it work the extra $200 cost for the ARP head bolts if I am not going for huge power. this is my daily driver so really just going for a bit more power and reliability. I would rather spend the $200 on replacing other worn out parts.

Thoughts?

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Personally I don't think so if you're not doing anything crazy to the truck or don't plan to pull the heads off and on a bunch, you can pick up a set of good OEM/Mahle headbolts from almost anywhere for MUCH less. I don't think the headbolts are a weak spot on this truck, they're a pretty good size compared to many other engines I've worked on. The OEM headgaskets (multi layer/metal) are also pretty good, I just used the fel-pro gaskets as recommended by a bunch of people here and they worked awesome also.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Is it work the extra $200 cost for the ARP head bolts if I am not going for huge power. this is my daily driver so really just going for a bit more power and reliability. I would rather spend the $200 on replacing other worn out parts.

Thoughts?

Probably not,but you still need new head bolts,as they're a one time use torque to yield bolt.

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered OEM ones :)

Almost finished tearing everything down. Waiting on my Greene stuff to show up. Lifters got here already :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Good luck man! It's totally worth it on the other end.

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What do you guys think about ENGINETECH or MELLING camshaft and lifters? Are these durable? Seems I might need a cam sooner or later and I won't go for performance cam in the $800 range. I would prefer non MDS cam and Hellcat non MDS lifters.

2012batteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Everyone,
I am new to this site. Stumbled across it looking up how-to’s because I have fell victim to the camshaft/lifter fail with the 5.7 Hemi’s. I am planning on replacing my cam and lifters because I don’t want t pay the dealer $4500! This is a great write up Charonblk07! Gives me more confidence that I can do it on my own.

I did have a question for Charonblk07? Reading through your step by step I didn’t see a step where/if there was a need to position the engine timing to TDC? Please excuse my novice question but I wanted to double check before I start unbolting thing and get myself in trouble. Thanks in advance!

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It shouldn't matter whether the engine is at TDC during the process. If you mark the timing chain and phaser assembly in a few different positions before removing and keep the timing chain tight on the lower gear it will all go back together the same way. All of the valves close as you remove the rocker arms and will re-open in the same position as you tighten the rocker arms back down. If for some reason the timing chain falls off the lower sprocket, then you will have to set the engine back to TDC to set the timing from scratch. You can reset the timing with the heads on the engine as long as the rocker arms are not installed as none of the valves will be open.

2012batteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you msedly!! This helps me out big time!!

It shouldn't matter whether the engine is at TDC during the process. If you mark the timing chain and phaser assembly in a few different positions before removing and keep the timing chain tight on the lower gear it will all go back together the same way. All of the valves close as you remove the rocker arms and will re-open in the same position as you tighten the rocker arms back down. If for some reason the timing chain falls off the lower sprocket, then you will have to set the engine back to TDC to set the timing from scratch. You can reset the timing with the heads on the engine as long as the rocker arms are not installed as none of the valves will be open.

2012batteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Everyone, as stated in my last post I will be attempting the cam and lifter replacement on my 2012 5.7 because of lifter fail. As I was calling around for replacement parts I was advised that I should replace my oil pump because of the loose metal from the lifters and cam. Have any of you had to replace the oil pump while replacing the cam? Do you guys recommend it? I have not had any oil pressure issues or drops since I noticed the cam failure. I would like to avoid doing the oil pump but don’t want do the job twice. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey Everyone, as stated in my last post I will be attempting the cam and lifter replacement on my 2012 5.7 because of lifter fail. As I was calling around for replacement parts I was advised that I should replace my oil pump because of the loose metal from the lifters and cam. Have any of you had to replace the oil pump while replacing the cam? Do you guys recommend it? I have not had any oil pressure issues or drops since I noticed the cam failure. I would like to avoid doing the oil pump but don’t want do the job twice. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Probably wouldn't hurt,especially if your truck is getting up there in milege.Kurtis Holland/Charonblk isn't on here much anymore,but you can track him down on some of the Ram facebook pages.He's on Tuned Rams /High Performance Rams etc. If I see him this week-end and I remember,i'll tell him to check in here,but your best bet is to track him down on facebook these days

2012batteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably wouldn't hurt,especially if your truck is getting up there in milege.Kurtis Holland/Charonblk isn't on here much anymore,but you can track him down on some of the Ram facebook pages.He's on Tuned Rams /High Performance Rams etc. If I see him this week-end and I remember,i'll tell him to check in here,but your best bet is to track him down on facebook these days

Thanks Wild one! I knew I would get that response. I was hoping not to have to drop the pan on the truck. But it is the right thing to do. Thanks again.

Shortbus 50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hopefully I am asking in the correct spot... But could someone help a bit more with where to find the best cam and lifter replacement for a 2015 sport 5.7 that isnt a mopar part?
I found the mds delete kit on one site, I'm just not sure what to do, way too many options. I am happy with the power the truck had, I have about $6000 to work with. Looking into jaspers as well...any info would help. This thread had huge helpful details.

2012batteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wanted to give an update on the cam swap on my 2012 ram 5.7hemi MDS. Everything went according to plan. Had a bump in the road with broken exhaust manifold bolts but was able to get them all out. The whole job took me about 4 full days. Replaced the cam and lifters and all the necessary gaskets with OEM cam and MDS AMS Racing lifters. The truck is running great and pulling hard. No more check engine light and no more shaking. Although I did recognize there is a slight tick sound now. Kind of like the the “Hemi Tick” but the weird thing is it ticks after the motor is warmed up. The Tick is light. With the windows up I can barely hear it it’s just when I’m at idle at a light next to another car or a fence is when I hear it. Driving I can’t hear anything. Before the swap the truck would have the “Hemi Tick” right at start up in the morning then once oil got through the engine it would go away. Now the Tick is after it warms up. It doesn’t get louder or any rougher but it is there. I was wondering if anyone else has had this noise with their cam swap. I’ve been researching online and I actually seen a couple people who had similar issues with their swaps but some were Mopar motors and some were LS motors. Thanks for all the help guys!!

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reinstall the air box, and any other accessories you removed.

***IMPORTANT***

Before starting or doing anything else!!!!

Do an oil change!!! Coolant will be in the oil pan from removing the timing cover.

After the oil change is done, pull the fuse for the fuel pump; use the lid of the fuse box to find which one it is. Reconnect the battery and start the engine. The starter will begin turning over the engine but since the fuel pump isn’t running the engine won’t start. Run the starter for 20-30 seconds, this will push oil through the entire engine so you don’t start it bone dry. After 20-30 seconds, turn the truck off, replace the fuel pump fuse.

Upload any cam tunes you have and then fire up the truck and enjoy your new power.

Run the engine for several minutes until the thermostat opens and follow the normal engine/radiator burping procedure to remove any trapped air and refill the coolant until everything's full.

Torque specs:

Cam bolt- 90ft-lb
Timing set tensioner/slider bolts- 21ft-lb
Rocker Shafts- 195 in-lb
Crankshaft bolt- 195ft-lb
Oil Pump bolts- 21ft-lb
Oil Pan bolts- 9 ft-lb/108in-lb
Timing Cover bolts- 21ft-lb

If you decide to remove the head to check/replace lifters here are some additional torque specs you'll need:

Main Cylinder Head bolts- 1) 25ft-lb 2) 40 ft-lb 3) 90*
Small Head bolts intake side- 1) 15ft-lb 2) 25ft-lb
Intake manifold bolts- 9 FT LBS
Lifter hold downs- 9 ft-lb/108in-lb

**UPDATE**

After doing another cam swap on a friend's truck where we replaced the lifters with the Hellcat ones, I was able to get pics of the head and lifter removal that I didn't get when I built this how-to as I didn't remove the heads.

Once you have the valve covers and rocker arms removed, following the directions above, you need to remove the heads from the block. There are 2 sets of bolts, 5x 10mm on the inside of the cylinder valley, and 10x 15mm head bolts. Now, some people will say you can reuse these head bolts, and if you're doing this on a budget then go far it, but you really should replace these with at least new OEM or even better use ARP head bolts or studs, it's your call.

Kurtis%20Image%201_zpso9nwgs3a.jpg

Kurtis%20Image%202_zpsq3tlc8nc.jpg

With all the head bolts removed, pull the head off the block. If you didn't pull the block plugs to drain the coolant out of the block then expect there to be coolant when you crack the head off the block. If there's coolant, just soak it up with rags or towels before reinstalling everything.

Remove the head gasket, you must replace this with a new one, either OEM or aftermarket. I like Cometic gaskets and it's what I used on my heads since I could get a thicker one and drop my compression ratio a bit more.

If you need to swap springs for your cam, I highly recommend getting the hemi-specific spring compressor, the CompCams one was about $125 but has been worth it for me. A tip, before putting the compressor on, hit all the springs with an 18mm socket and hammer (it should sit over the spring retainers but clear the valve stem and keepers) to loosen the keepers so they come out of the retainer easier. Install the spring compressor and replace the springs with whatever ones you will be using. I used the PSI 1511 with the locators on mine.

6SF78GN.jpg

MYwzR8C.jpg

With any springs replaced, we can remove the lifters. Remove the lifters before you pull the camshaft out. They are held in place by an 8mm bolt IIRC. Just loosen the bolt and pull the lifter rail out. If any lifters get stuck they will just pull directly out, it's entertaining to watch this when you have oil all over your hands and they are slippery as hell.

A97yS8V.jpg

mdgddhr.jpg

With the lifters removed, replace them with your new lifters in the rail then reinstall these AFTER you have swapped the camshaft following the above steps.

To reinstall the heads, place the NEW head gasket onto the block making sure you have the correct gasket for the side of the engine, they are specific to the side and if you put them on the wrong side you will block the coolant holes. Place the head onto the block and install the NEW head bolts or studs. Put all 10 bolts in loosely then the 5 small bolts in the valley. If you are using studs, torque these in the following stepped sequence:

FVQlaHI.png

Step 1: M12 bolts to 25ft-lb, and the M8 bolts to 15ft-lb
Step 2: M12 bolts to 40ft-lb, verify M8 bolts to 15ft-lb
Step 3: M12 bolts turn 90 degrees, M8 bolts to 25ft-lb

With the head in place and properly torqued you can carry on the rest of the swap.

***PRO TIP for the timing set.

Instead of dropping the timing chain like I did in my original how-to, here is a fast and very effective way to keep the timing set intact without having to try to reset the timing from scratch.

BEFORE pulling the chain tensioner, mark the phaser ring and timing chain in multiple places with a felt pen. Mark it so you can't accidentally put these on the wrong marks.

nw9vDbx.jpg

wzrH6FV.jpg

With the phaser and chain marked, you can remove the phaser from the cam but KEEP THE CHAIN TIGHT and remove the phaser from the chain. Pull the chain to the side and zip-tie it tight to the frame or somewhere semi-out of the way. Do this all without dropping the chain off the crank sprocket.

ymDd6PM.jpg

When it's time to put the phaser back on, cut the zip-ties and line up the marks on the phaser ring with the chain, keeping the chain tight on the crankshaft sprocket. Spin the cam so you can install the phaser onto it and mount with the bolt. IF you've kept the chain from moving on the crank sprocket your timing will stay perfect but if you let it slip, follow the timing instructions given above.

If there's anything that someone wants added to this let me know and I will get it done.
Very cool and educational write up,also the pictures are very defined to the work at hand better then a Chilton book in your hands