How-to: 4th gen Ram/GM transmission (4L80e) swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I checked out jakes performance 4l80e and with the trans brake it requires a reverse VB. Kurtis do you know if this would work with the factory console shifter?

The issue with the factory console shifter is it basically stops at the "D" position. The (4),3,2,1 positions for the 65/545 are controlled electronically where the 4L80e needs it to be physically shifted into those detentes which is a problem. I've had lots of guys talk to me about using the factory shifter and all of them have ended up running a shifter of some sort so at this point I have to recommend to anybody thinking about this needs to budget for a shifter and there are LOTS of options.

raginglaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds good, thanks bud. I’m pretty much going the route you took with the 4L80E. A guy in Edmonton builds stout 80e’s and he recommended a Yank converter. So I’m at a toss up between circleD or yank for now.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sounds good, thanks bud. I’m pretty much going the route you took with the 4L80E. A guy in Edmonton builds stout 80e’s and he recommended a Yank converter. So I’m at a toss up between circleD or yank for now.

Not another Albertan,lol. Are we gonna see your truck at Castrol this year RL.I'm kind of curious about what you're running,lol.
Rick

raginglaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck will probably never hit Castrol due to it being a crew cab Laramie 4x4 with Ram boxes lol not the greatest at the dig for a 6000lbs + truck. It’ll be a street/highway monster. But who knows, maybe I might give it a go. I’m aiming for the heavens on what the 5.7 based forged 392 stroker will give me with a pt7675 pushing at its limits. Plus I want to add some go go juice in the ram boxes lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My truck will probably never hit Castrol due to it being a crew cab Laramie 4x4 with Ram boxes lol not the greatest at the dig for a 6000lbs + truck. It’ll be a street/highway monster. But who knows, maybe I might give it a go. I’m aiming for the heavens on what the 5.7 based forged 392 stroker will give me with a pt7675 pushing at its limits. Plus I want to add some go go juice in the ram boxes lol

With those mods you should be quick at Castrol,lol. There's a few of us that run the trucks at Friday night Street Legals.I drive up from Airdrie pretty well weekly,and Kurtis says he'll bring his monster out now that he's got a decent tranny in it.Track is tentively scheduled to open this year April 27th,if Momma Nature decides to be agree able.Bring it out and lets see how it does up against a couple of us regular Friday night racers.

CarKnockerJim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm interested in the manual swap you mentioned in your intro...waiting to follow that!

lowcomet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM R/T
Engine
Which switches are you referring to? The PRNDL switch for the 4L80e? If so, I have one on my counter right now to start playing with to see if I can get the cluster to read correctly. I’ll be mapping the pin-out on the switch, adding the required wires and diodes, and praying to the car gods it’s as simple as that.

I still needed to map the transmission plug to know which wires I need to tie into on the truck harness because that’s the only way to get it to display on the dash; but most importantly, I needed to get the truck at least mobile so I can start using my shop space again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm assuming mapping the plugs and getting the dash to correlate with the 4L80E would be required to retain a factory back up cam?

Also, did you ever divulge in building a purpose built torque converter to eliminate a crank adapter? Is that even possible?

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
So I'm assuming mapping the plugs and getting the dash to correlate with the 4L80E would be required to retain a factory back up cam?

Also, did you ever divulge in building a purpose built torque converter to eliminate a crank adapter? Is that even possible?

If you have a reverse camera then yes, it needs to show R to get it to activate along with the reverse lights. I personally have a lockpic for my cameras and just have it tapped for power to the relay running my reverse light circuit. I have decided to stay old school/low tech and run it all off a relay rather than try and get the PCM to do things.

Another guy that's been doing a lot of leg work on getting the shifter to show up in the dash has had a major setback, He could get it to handle P and R, but when we'd try to get it shifted to show D it would throw the PCM into tantrums. He's going to get his PCM flashed to a manual to try and manage it a different way. This may just be a 2009 issue since both his ad mine are '09s.

I did ask a few builders if it was possible to do an adapter torque converter but they all said they weren't interested. A very good thing about using the adapter flexplate and hub is you can use ANY 4L80e torque converter from any builder and it's not a specialty order item; off-the-shelf converters are significantly cheaper than custom built ones.

I'm interested in the manual swap you mentioned in your intro...waiting to follow that!

I'm not doing one, but you can make the PCM not care what's behind it if you ground everything like I describe. After that if you want to throw a manual behind the engine you can.

lowcomet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM R/T
Engine
I apologize for all the questions. I'm diving into ordering what is needed for this swap and talking with my transmission builder but he is just in charge of building the trans, lol.

Is Reid the only manufacturer of a Hemi/GM bellhousing adapter? Like you I would prefer a bellhousing over an adapter plate.

Were you able to retain cruise control?

Does your cluster have the EVIC to display trans temp or is that lost in the swap?

Not very privy to this but is there anything affected when it comes to traction control/abs/stability program or is it tuned out?

Is speedo calibration effected considering the slightly different gearing in the trans or does it get its reference from a wheel speed sensor and use rear end gearing and tire height parameters?

BTW fantastic write up! I've been saving for a couple of years to be able to do this swap and you have already answered so many questions I had lingering. Thank you!

Last edited:

lowcomet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM R/T
Engine
Also what year 4l80E did you pick for a core?

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I apologize for all the questions. I'm diving into ordering what is needed for this swap and talking with my transmission builder but he is just in charge of building the trans, lol.

Is Reid the only manufacturer of a Hemi/GM bellhousing adapter? Like you I would prefer a bellhousing over an adapter plate.

Were you able to retain cruise control?

Does your cluster have the EVIC to display trans temp or is that lost in the swap?

Not very privy to this but is there anything affected when it comes to traction control/abs/stability program or is it tuned out?

Is speedo calibration effected considering the slightly different gearing in the trans or does it get its reference from a wheel speed sensor and use rear end gearing and tire height parameters?

BTW fantastic write up! I've been saving for a couple of years to be able to do this swap and you have already answered so many questions I had lingering. Thank you!

JW performance makes their Ultra-Bell adapter bellhousing, it's just not SFI rated like the Reid is.

I have not been able to try out cruise control, the roads have not been in decent enough shape while I've been home but I don't believe it'll work, I could be pleasantly surprised though.

The trans temp sensor was internal to the trans and oem wiring harness and I don't know the required sensor output range but if you wanted to give it a try Pin 22 is the sensor ground and pin 23 is the temp signal. I just installed a transmission temp gauge in one of my many gauge openings; I'm just waiting for 500 miles before dropping the trans pan, swapping fluid and installing an aftermarket pan with sensor **** before I tie it in properly.

Speedometer calibration is unaffected, the PCM uses the wheel speed (ABS) sensors to determine wheel speed and it's independent of the driveline which is why you can do gear swaps and just get in and drive.

I have traction control and ESP disabled in my tune so I can't say if it'll be affected. I still get the 'slipping light' but it doesn't do anything to my engine.

Also what year 4l80E did you pick for a core?

I have a 91-96 case with dual speed sensors, if you get the '97+ case you will need to get a rear speed sensor installed on the transmission to run most standalone controllers.

lowcomet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM R/T
Engine
Scored a 4l80e today and I'm stoked to just be starting this conversion! Its going to the trans builder as soon as time allows.

20180406_112441.jpg

lowcomet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM R/T
Engine
JW performance makes their Ultra-Bell adapter bellhousing, it's just not SFI rated like the Reid is.

I have not been able to try out cruise control, the roads have not been in decent enough shape while I've been home but I don't believe it'll work, I could be pleasantly surprised though.

The trans temp sensor was internal to the trans and oem wiring harness and I don't know the required sensor output range but if you wanted to give it a try Pin 22 is the sensor ground and pin 23 is the temp signal. I just installed a transmission temp gauge in one of my many gauge openings; I'm just waiting for 500 miles before dropping the trans pan, swapping fluid and installing an aftermarket pan with sensor **** before I tie it in properly.

Speedometer calibration is unaffected, the PCM uses the wheel speed (ABS) sensors to determine wheel speed and it's independent of the driveline which is why you can do gear swaps and just get in and drive.

I have traction control and ESP disabled in my tune so I can't say if it'll be affected. I still get the 'slipping light' but it doesn't do anything to my engine.

I have a 91-96 case with dual speed sensors, if you get the '97+ case you will need to get a rear speed sensor installed on the transmission to run most standalone controllers.

What is used for a flex plate/torque converter cover on the Reid bellhousing?

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
What is used for a flex plate/torque converter cover on the Reid bellhousing?

The Reid bellhousing doesn’t have a lower cover but I believe you can use a stock 4L80e cover, you just need to drill the cover for it.

lowcomet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM R/T
Engine
Did you ever try any combination of GM OE dipsticks to see if anything could be used with slight modifications?

lowcomet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM R/T
Engine
Also, I couldn't tell from the pics. Does your Outlaw shifter have the monetary buttons on the shifter? If so, is it possible to use those for manutronic mode within the USshift quick 4 module?

Nachillo14_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any update? Your truck running good with the tranny?

Hemi31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great thread. Used it for reference for our own swap which is almost done. To take off on what you've already posted, I have "P,N,R " working so far on the dash using the factory 4L80 neutral safety switch.....still working on "D". The reverse lights come on as they should now when the truck is put in reverse. We are also trying to integrate the GM shifter into the console. Again, great job and thanks for the play by play to follow.

Edit: Scratch that.....they work till you run through the gears. Then it freezes up, Gotta be a feedback issue with the shifter.....

Last edited: