How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quick update - I went out and tested the truck today to take some temperature measurements.

When I initially started the truck and let it warm up a bit, I went to switch it from Auto to forward/center vents. After hitting the icon on the screen, it lit up indicating the change and I could hear something moving, but no air was blowing through the center vents. I was worried I was back to square one. I cycled through several settings, but couldn't get the air to blow through those vents. eventually I switched the temp from HI to a lower temp and suddenly the center vents started working again. From that point on, any combination of changes and the center vents always worked when they were supposed to. Fingers crossed that this issue is resolved.

Second thing I did was take some temperature readings using a laser thermometer. Last night while driving around in my sedan, I took a reading from the center vents (engine fully heated) with the temp on the highest setting and fan on high. The temperature was 118 degrees F. Today, did the same test in my truck after fully warming it up and got a temperature reading of 123 degrees F. That is officially hot in my book. I put the truck on auto and it appeared to be working great. Once the cab reached the right temp (had it set at 70) I could hear a baffle door moving and the air speed dropped and the air dropped to a warm but cooler temperature.

I would say that my issues are resolved. I would recommend to others having issues with cool but no hot air and no center vents to reflash the BCM back to manual and reprogram the HVAC system, checking after each step to ensure it is working.

Nick
I went through the same thing when I did my single zone ATC in my 2013. I found the same thing you did, if you lower the temp by a few degrees it will make it switch modes. It definitely has its quirks but it's definitely nice to have.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I went through the same thing when I did my single zone ATC in my 2013. I found the same thing you did, if you lower the temp by a few degrees it will make it switch modes. It definitely has its quirks but it's definitely nice to have.
I am going to try lowering the temp tomorrow. I like the auto mode but noticed the dash vents don’t appear to switch. Ran the calibration routine via AlfaOBD just to be sure everything was set. Thanks for the info.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am going to try lowering the temp tomorrow. I like the auto mode but noticed the dash vents don’t appear to switch. Ran the calibration routine via AlfaOBD just to be sure everything was set. Thanks for the info.
Yeah I find I have to lower the temp to 70-68 and then it switches to vents. I also have to do that when going from vent to defrost.You can wait for it but it literally takes a minute or more for it to change. Not good if you need defrost quick....

Also if you run the HVAC calibration I found it pops a fault code for the passenger actuator that isn't there so you might want to check that.

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Where is the calibration function in AlphaOBD?

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks to everyone for their help on this mod to my truck, I love it!!!

A really big thank you to @Mpgrimm2 at M2Mods for the harnesses and tech support because he made me harnesses that incorporated the complete ATC, 2018 microphone relocation and the camera move from the rear view mirror to my UAQ screen.
I had an MTC bezel and an ATC bezel that @Mpgrimm2 combined and converted in to this beautiful single zone ATC bezel that IMHO really makes my RAM dash look correct by not having extra buttons that work nothing. FCA doesn't even offer this option and the best you can get in a regular cab is an MTC bezel.

20190221_180053.jpg

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have a 2018 1500 with factory 8.4 UAx and single-zone climate control.

I want to add Single Zone ATC along with Smart High Beam and Auto Wipers with AlphaOBD. Question is do I have to buy an additional Mopar mirror harness for this or will the OP harnesses work? Thank you!

bhiii

#justsaynotochrome
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sorry not trying to hijack but yes. Since your truck is a 2500 the interior temp sensor is all you need plus the code. Make sure you set it to Dual Zone ATC first and make sure to code is set by checking your climate screen. Once the code is set to the Dual Zone you can then program the Single Zone ATC.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Is the part number listed in OP for the interior temp sensor year/truck specific? When looking on all mopar parts it says its only
For the 1500 and not the 2500, if this information is correct does anyone have a part number for the one for a 2016 2500/ better yet if you can tell me where it’s located in the parts categories that would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhiii

#justsaynotochrome
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Does anyone know the part number for the 2500 for the temp sensor?

bhiii

#justsaynotochrome
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That’s the one listed in the original post, when I put that number into all mopar parts it says it’s only for the 1500.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s the one listed in the original post, when I put that number into all mopar parts it says it’s only for the 1500.

I’m 99% sure it’s the same.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have done a few 2500's using the part number in the original post and they work fine. In many cases the compatibility charts are inaccurate. Not saying that that is the case here but they are off all the time.

bhiii

#justsaynotochrome
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have done a few 2500's using the part number in the original post and they work fine. In many cases the compatibility charts are inaccurate. Not saying that that is the case here but they are off all the time.

Do you know which component it would be listed under in the part catalog?

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's the same part. Used it when I changed my 16 2500 to ATC. It's used in quite a few vehicles including my wife's grand Cherokee. I got mine off of eBay new for $20 shipped

bhiii

#justsaynotochrome
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It's the same part. Used it when I changed my 16 2500 to ATC. It's used in quite a few vehicles including my wife's grand Cherokee. I got mine off of eBay new for $20 shipped

Cool thanks. Just wanted to make sure before I wasted money on something I couldn’t use.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's the programming sequence with Alpha and the BCM activating single zone ATC.

Do you activate dual first then go back change to single ... etc [emoji2371]

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the programming sequence with Alpha and the BCM activating single zone ATC.

Do you activate dual first then go back change to single ... etc [emoji2371]

Yes. Giving plenty of time between to ensure they actually set and function normally.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. Giving plenty of time between to ensure they actually set and function normally.

Ok. Where in alpha is the setting. Just looked under vehicle config and didn't see anything