How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hands down Mike is a great guy and smart as hell..he and his buddy's make awesome products and interfacing parts that make our trucks a pleasure to be in...
Smart Beam Mirror
ATC
Radio info
The wiring these guys make are second to none better than factory in some cases and the support is just not seen these days like Mike gives..

Thanks again for everything, you made my world and easier place to live in!!

Bill

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This!!

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To start off I know people have re routed the humidity sensor to attach to the mirror cover but I wanted more of a factory location setup plus seeing a lot of videos about people having to replace the humidity sensor. I wanted an outside cover for the humidity sensor. Seeing how you can not buy the metal bracket aftermarket wise for the original humidity sensor cover. I made my own cover/case. Thanks to GhostRam with adding rain Sense. I found this “case” from Polycase and figured why not give it a shot and see if it works.

This is the case I used
https://www.polycase.com/fb-301

I’m going to instal my Rain sensor tomorrow so when I take it apart I will take pictures of what I did and post them on here Incase anyone else wants to go this route also. I have it double sided tape right next to the mirror cover. More picks will be posted tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To start off I know people have re routed the humidity sensor to attach to the mirror cover but I wanted more of a factory location setup plus seeing a lot of videos about people having to replace the humidity sensor. I wanted an outside cover for the humidity sensor. Seeing how you can not buy the metal bracket aftermarket wise for the original humidity sensor cover. I made my own cover/case. Thanks to GhostRam with adding rain Sense. I found this “case” from Polycase and figured why not give it a shot and see if it works.

This is the case I used

I’m going to instal my Rain sensor tomorrow so when I take it apart I will take pictures of what I did and post them on here Incase anyone else wants to go this route also. I have it double sided tape right next to the mirror cover. More picks will be posted tomorrow.

Please do, I’m looking for a clean way to install this as well. By the way I see you’re in Fort Worth. I’m over by TCU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please do, I’m looking for a clean way to install this as well. By the way I see you’re in Fort Worth. I’m over by TCU

I’m border or Arlington and Fort Worth. Eastchase and 30. Not far at all

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This is the case I used

Okay so here are the pictures following my above quoted post. Wouldn’t let me edit it anymore. But o well. Lol. I used the above link for the case. I cut the hanging tab off of the case cause it wasn’t needed. As seen in pictures below I consider the piece with the tab the top. That way once you cut the tab off you can’t see it at all and it’s pointing toward your headliner
e97141afb9759a2562ed8ba99a2ecddd.jpg
This is the case taken apart. The piece on the right is what I call the back piece because the 2 screws are exposed on that side once screwed together. The piece on the left I had used my Dremel to notch our a piece of the “top” part of the case for the wire harness to run in to the humidity sensor
75ba12919513ca3ec986d4dc1467fa99.jpg
0cf0dfba7d6328a137ebe61e27f890df.jpg
806733999b4b230960889a62c764b9e2.jpg
Next I drilled holes in the bottom and half way up both sides of the case. I used a 3/32 drill bit and seemed to work perfectly
23bab32609598d186866ef1e50816653.jpg
80617050faef777c4c29fb9feb9ed8dc.jpg
83234362f8e150f5167bbc87257177d6.jpg
With the humidity sensor it will rattle around in this case. As seen below. There is a protruded spot on the humidity sensors where the wire harness connects to the sensor. This is where I put double sided tape to secure it in the case. The more clearance the humidity sensor has to detect humidity the better.

****Also to add on the side with the double sided tape there should be a metal clip/bracket that is used for the factory mounting bracket. I did take that bracket off because it interfered with the case closing****

f1a059eae44d0ca4e34ad8dd3260ffc2.jpg
d5cee9118b2506e98cd88817a300be30.jpg
0f2d529bc856182ab8ca8e77569061b5.jpg
2b846693826ea8d33159883e67223b50.jpg
Once you put the back cover on and screw the screws in. My humidity sensor fits snug in this case with the double sided tape. Also put two strips of double sided tape on the back side of the case so you do not see screw holes and screws. This will be placed directly to the right of the mirror cover In the blacked out area. It is not very noticeable when driving which is what I like. It looks like it is supposed to be there.
19f77a6dc84f312c159e9edadb9ac7e5.jpg
2915d1a5a9d3f77ca2ea8078e13ea3cc.jpg

With the humidity sensor being in the headliner. I really couldn’t tell if it was getting accurate readings. When I ran my status log in Alfa today it said it was 40% humidity. I threw it in the headliner just to see if there was a difference and it read only 28%. So to me this way the sensor itself is getting a way better reading because it is almost in the exact factory location the humidity sensor is in.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
With the humidity sensor being in the headliner. I really couldn’t tell if it was getting accurate readings. When I ran my status log in Alfa today it said it was 40% humidity. I threw it in the headliner just to see if there was a difference and it read only 28%. So to me this way the sensor itself is getting a way better reading because it is almost in the exact factory location the humidity sensor is in.

Nice write up with pictures!

I have to wonder if this what we think is a humidity sensor is actually a dewpoint sensor. What leads me to this theory is that just humidity sensing doesn't do much for making decisions on controlling HVAC functions. I know from looking at the sensor before I installed mine, there is that little tab that will press against the window when in the factory location. I'm making an educated guess that is a surface temperature sensor.
Using the glass surface temperature and humidity sensor that would give you dewpoint, that data is what you use to detect when windows would be fogging up. It would also explain why the reading would change if the sensor was under the headliner(changes in temperature or humidity will effect the dewpoint reading).

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice write up with pictures!

I have to wonder if this what we think is a humidity sensor is actually a dewpoint sensor. What leads me to this theory is that just humidity sensing doesn't do much for making decisions on controlling HVAC functions. I know from looking at the sensor before I installed mine, there is that little tab that will press against the window when in the factory location. I'm making an educated guess that is a surface temperature sensor.
Using the glass surface temperature and humidity sensor that would give you dewpoint, that data is what you use to detect when windows would be fogging up. It would also explain why the reading would change if the sensor was under the headliner(changes in temperature or humidity will effect the dewpoint reading).

Yeah that could be very true. But according to Chrysler/Mopar these are actual humidity sensors and from what I’ve gained. This helps control the “humidity” when you have the HVAC system on in car circulation. Yeah I should probably add I pulled the metal clip that was attached to the sensor off to fit in the case.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yeah that could be very true. But according to Chrysler/Mopar these are actual humidity sensors and from what I’ve gained. This helps control the “humidity” when you have the HVAC system on in car circulation.
A humidity reading by itself is sort of useless in HVAC control unless it's referenced to temperature. If it was just for humidity control within the vehicle, having the sensor mounted to the windshield is an expensive location (the bean counters wouldn't approve without a good reason), it would be a lot cheaper to have it combined with the space temp sensor. The relative humidity reading isn't going to change from the top of the windshield to below the dash.
Knowing the dewpoint based on the windshield makes the most sense control wise. Keeping the windshield from fogging is not only a safety concern but will keep the occupants more comfortable.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so here are the pictures following my above quoted post. Wouldn’t let me edit it anymore. But o well. Lol. I used the above link for the case. I cut the hanging tab off of the case cause it wasn’t needed. As seen in pictures below I consider the piece with the tab the top. That way once you cut the tab off you can’t see it at all and it’s pointing toward your headliner
e97141afb9759a2562ed8ba99a2ecddd.jpg
This is the case taken apart. The piece on the right is what I call the back piece because the 2 screws are exposed on that side once screwed together. The piece on the left I had used my Dremel to notch our a piece of the “top” part of the case for the wire harness to run in to the humidity sensor
75ba12919513ca3ec986d4dc1467fa99.jpg
0cf0dfba7d6328a137ebe61e27f890df.jpg
806733999b4b230960889a62c764b9e2.jpg
Next I drilled holes in the bottom and half way up both sides of the case. I used a 3/32 drill bit and seemed to work perfectly
23bab32609598d186866ef1e50816653.jpg
80617050faef777c4c29fb9feb9ed8dc.jpg
83234362f8e150f5167bbc87257177d6.jpg
With the humidity sensor it will rattle around in this case. As seen below. There is a protruded spot on the humidity sensors where the wire harness connects to the sensor. This is where I put double sided tape to secure it in the case. The more clearance the humidity sensor has to detect humidity the better.

****Also to add on the side with the double sided tape there should be a metal clip/bracket that is used for the factory mounting bracket. I did take that bracket off because it interfered with the case closing****

d5cee9118b2506e98cd88817a300be30.jpg
0f2d529bc856182ab8ca8e77569061b5.jpg
2b846693826ea8d33159883e67223b50.jpg
Once you put the back cover on and screw the screws in. My humidity sensor fits snug in this case with the double sided tape. Also put two strips of double sided tape on the back side of the case so you do not see screw holes and screws. This will be placed directly to the right of the mirror cover In the blacked out area. It is not very noticeable when driving which is what I like. It looks like it is supposed to be there.
19f77a6dc84f312c159e9edadb9ac7e5.jpg
2915d1a5a9d3f77ca2ea8078e13ea3cc.jpg

Thanks for the excellent write up and photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the excellent write up and photos

I might add some holes in the back cause like @crash68 said. I did see a few readings in Alfa for dewpoint. Which his reasoning on what it actually does is more likely than just reading humidity.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was finally able to install the ATC board with the Off/Auto button in the center. I actually did the ATC conversation with @Mpgrimm2 harnness, back in September, but I was using the regular single zone bezel. Now that the holidays were over and I had a little spare money, I had Mpgrimm2 from M2mods modify the Dual Zone control board to work like a single Zone ATC bezel. As always, a great mod!!

View attachment 161391

View attachment 161392

View attachment 161393

How does this work? I have a single zone as well., and I’m getting the harness made by M2MODS.
When you push the button, does it turn on bring up the climate screen?

Then when you turn the knob back-and-forth does it adjust the temperature scale on the screen, or does it turn the fan up and down ? Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
How does this work? I have a single zone as well., and I’m getting the harness made by M2MODS.
When you push the button, does it turn on bring up the climate screen?

Then when you turn the knob back-and-forth does it adjust the temperature scale on the screen, or does it turn the fan up and down ?

All the buttons and fan speed knob work the same as the do with the manual temperature control. When you select Auto whether on screen or the button, the system controls the temperature and fan speed based on the temperature set point.
You set the temperature with the Red and Blue buttons or use the voice command button on the steering wheel (if so equiped).

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the buttons and fan speed knob work the same as the do with the manual temperature control. When you select Auto whether on screen or the button, the system controls the temperature and fan speed based on the temperature set point.
You set the temperature with the Red and Blue buttons or use the voice command button on the steering wheel (if so equiped).

So when you push the auto button, does the screen switch to climate control?

When you are in auto mode does the Knob still control fan speed?

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

When in auto the system adjust the fan speed itself to control the temp if you have it at 70 your hvac system gets your truck to 70° and slows the fan speed by itself. It’s a set and forget. It reads the temp in your truck by the temp sensor right under your ignition. If the temp sensor reads 80° the truck will turn the fan speed up and cool your truck until it hits

If your slider reads 70° your truck will automatically cool your truck to 70 and maintain it.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When in auto the system adjust the fan speed itself to control the temp if you have it at 70 your hvac system gets your truck to 70° and slows the fan speed by itself. It’s a set and forget. It reads the temp in your truck by the temp sensor right under your ignition. If the temp sensor reads 80° the truck will turn the fan speed up and cool your truck until it hits

If your slider reads 70° your truck will automatically cool your truck to 70 and maintain it.

OK, so when you’re in auto the knob doesn’t function when it is turned?
When you push the button does the screen come up with the climate settings?

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, so when you’re in auto the knob doesn’t function when it is turned?
When you push the button does the screen come up with the climate settings?

Yes the system will automatically go into manual mode when you turn the knob and disable Auto

No it’s a hard button just like when you use the heated and vented seats. It just turns that function on so you don’t have to use the radio. It’s not a short cut to the climate screen if that’s what you mean.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

I don't have the button(Auto still works without it) but I doubt it changes the screen, no reason to.
If it's in Auto and you turn the fan speed knob it will take it out of "Auto" mode and return to how you had the system set before: AC On/Off, Vents/Floor/Defrost but the temperature set point will stay the same.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have the button(Auto still works without it) but I doubt it changes the screen, no reason to.
If it's in Auto and you turn the fan speed knob it will take it out of "Auto" mode and return to how you had the system set before: AC On/Off, Vents/Floor/Defrost but the temperature set point will stay the same.

The only reason I can think of, is that It would be more convenient not having to use the soft buttons to pull the screen up

Thanks for the info on the fan speed knob

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I originally converted my truck to the Single Zone ATC like many have done. I noticed a few things it did that with the recirculation door that seemed kind of strange but figured it might be because Ram never offered a single zone ATC. I have since converted the truck to Dual Zone ATC and the truck acts the same. I wasn't sure if it was normal so I compared it to two other factory Dual Zone ATC trucks all three trucks acted identical. I figured I would mention it in case someone else notices it and thinks it's not working correctly.

If it's over a certain temperature outside when your truck is on ATC it will automatically set itself to recirculate. If you turn off the ATC you can hear the truck is still on recirculate but the LED light on the recirculation button will not illuminate. If you want to turn off recirculate you need to push the button to turn on the LED indicator and then push it again and then you will regain control of the recirculation door.

Even if you have the truck in manual mode if it's over a certain temperature outside and you push the A/C button the truck will automatically go onto recirculation mode but the recirculation button LED will not illuminate. You need to push the button twice again to regain control.

If it's over a certain temp outside and you push the manual A/C button and the truck sets itself to recirculate on it's own if you turn the A/C back off the truck will automatically close the recirculation door. All of this seems to be predicated on it being over a certain temp outside

I thought it was odd that the LED indicator on the button wouldn't always accurately reflect the actual position of the recirculation door and also surprised that it would actually open on it's own even in manual mode. I know my original MTC system did not act this way. Since all three trucks acted identically I can only assume it's considered normal but figured I would mention it in case someone else notices it and thinks somehow the system is not working correctly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Even if you have the truck in manual mode if it's over a certain temperature outside and you push the A/C button the truck will automatically go onto recirculation mode but the recirculation button LED will not illuminate. You need to push the button twice again to regain control.
Another time the AC will go into recirculation on its own is if you set the blower speed to 7. It did this before I did the single zone ATC conversion, I have yet to test this since.