How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eldude83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
On the CLIMATE window, top row, the right soft buttons are FRONT and BACK. The back just works the mirror heat in mine.

I only have the front soft button
e8e9347c92fc494f4fc8599dc85e2332.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I don't have a rear window defroster, but I had the buttons when testing a 17 Ra4 VP4-NA radio in my 18 Laramie last month and recall them from various 8.4 radios being in my last 13 ram SLT19d626306eb70b3f678a010fec04b465.jpg

M² Mods.

eldude83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I don't have a rear window defroster, but I had the buttons when testing a 17 Ra4 VP4-NA radio in my 18 Laramie last month and recall them from various 8.4 radios being in my last 13 ram SLT19d626306eb70b3f678a010fec04b465.jpg

M² Mods.

I’m wondering if it could be the HVAC module? I’ll see if I can access the PN tomorrow. Do you know what PN is in your Laramie?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I’m wondering if it could be the HVAC module? I’ll see if I can access the PN tomorrow. Do you know what PN is in your Laramie?

Your issue is most likely a BCM configuration setting or possibly the radio.

My 2018 1500 Laramie with UAQ radio has the xxxx6552 module listed below.

* 14-18 ram 1500's have a variable displacement compressor (typ. associated with the 7 speed fan)
>> 14-17's w/RAx = 68268186Ax HVAC module
>> 18/19's w/UAx = 68366552AA HVAC module (ie UAQ Radio)

* 13-18 ram 2500/3500's (& 13 Ram1500) have a fixed displacement compressor (typ. associated with the 4 speed fan)
>> 14-17's w/RAx = 68105017Ax HVAC module (ie RA4 Radio)
>> 18/19's w/UAx = 68366553AA HVAC module (ie UAQ Radio)

M² Mods.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only have the front soft button
e8e9347c92fc494f4fc8599dc85e2332.jpg

I have seen this happen several times in the past when people have added the single zone ATC option to there truck. Several trucks actually did the same thing. Even trucks that came with the RA3 or RA4 with MTC that were upgraded to the ATC lost the soft key for the heated rear window/heated mirrors. My RA4 out of a Ram did it as well. I pulled it out for other reasons and installed another RA4 also out of a Ram and the rear/mirror defrost button came back. It's some type of a glitch between the radio and the truck. I'm not sure if anyone was able to figure it out. I tried rebooting the radio and reinstalling the firmware but I was never able to get the soft key back on that radio.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Anyone try setting back to MTC or dual zone ATC and seeing if it comes back?

M² Mods.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone try setting back to MTC or dual zone MTC and seeing if it happens?

M² Mods.
Yes I did and I think others tried as well but it didn't help for me. It definitely wouldn't hurt for someone to give it a shot. When we were doing it the alpha tool hadn't came out yet and we used the AE tool to enable the code. I was always thinking it was some type of a corruption issue with the A&E tool since we had so many other issues with it. When Infotainment copied us and came out with their own kit to turn on the single zone ATC they had the same problem with their Genies and the soft key for the rear window/mirror defrost defrost not showing up in many cases. As far as I know the issue was never figured out. The only thing I didn't try was updating my Firmware because there was no update available at the time but I did reload my Firmware and it didn't change anything. I think it's just some type of a glitch when we turn on the ATC that happens sometimes. I don't think it has anything to do with the BCM or HVAC module because when you put in a different radio it will pick up the soft key for the defrost most of the time. It's really strange. My soft key has been fine ever since I installed my current radio through several Firmware updates. This is another reason I was afraid to turn off the ATC code in my truck to test different HVAC modules thinking if I turned it of and on I would maybe lose my soft key again like I did before.

eldude83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Anyone try setting back to MTC or dual zone ATC and seeing if it comes back?

M² Mods.

I also tried switching back to either of those, but no luck.

Oh well, maybe this is a sign that I should upgrade to a RA4 or a UAX radio. Lol

I appreciate the help guys

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Oh well, maybe this is a sign that I should upgrade to a RA4 or a UAX radio. Lol

Another possible option...
Temporarily install the radio in another ram truck with 8.4 radio and see if the it resets.

The voice to text feature can be reactivated this way on upgraded trucks, maybe it will work for this.

M² Mods.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It has nothing to do with the radio being an RA3. I've seen it happen on RA4 radios as well as UAQ radios.

ligonw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've got a 2013 Ram 3500 Cummins with RA4 and manual temperature control and 7 speed fan control.

What exactly has to be done to the stock wiring to hook in the sensor? I'm having some trouble figuring out which connectors and modules y'all are talking about.

Is it just four wires coming from the sensor under the steering wheel going to the connector plugging into the HVAC controls?

Is the sensor the only thing that has to be wired in?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What exactly has to be done to the stock wiring to hook in the sensor? I'm having some trouble figuring out which connectors and modules y'all are talking about.

Is it just four wires coming from the sensor under the steering wheel going to the connector plugging into the HVAC controls?

Is the sensor the only thing that has to be wired in?
For the HD trucks, you just need the temperature sensor if the truck already has the 7 speed fan and 8.4 radio(I don't think is possible with the 5" radio). It's the 1500s that require the humidity sensor also. The dash solar sensor is optional for any of the trucks.
Contact @Mpgrimm2 with M² Mods for the sensor harness. It plugs into the HVAC module behind the glovebox(right side). You may want to check under the dash as some trim levels of HD trucks already have the plug for the temperature sensor.
You can order the temperature sensor from @AllMoparParts.com

ligonw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
For the HD trucks, you just need the temperature sensor if the truck already has the 7 speed fan and 8.4 radio(I don't think is possible with the 5" radio). It's the 1500s that require the humidity sensor also. The dash solar sensor is optional for any of the trucks.
Contact @Mpgrimm2 with M² Mods for the sensor harness. It plugs into the HVAC module behind the glovebox(right side). You may want to check under the dash as some trim levels of HD trucks already have the plug for the temperature sensor.
You can order the temperature sensor from @AllMoparParts.com

I've already got the sensor and parts to build the harness leg that I need. Just wanting some clarification on the wiring.

I only need to add 4 wires from the sensor to the plug into the HVAC controls? No other wires?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I've already got the sensor and parts to build the harness leg that I need. Just wanting some clarification on the wiring.

I only need to add 4 wires from the sensor to the plug into the HVAC controls? No other wires?
On your 3500 ... Yes

M² Mods.

Brett Cope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would be interested in the atc harness 2013 bighorn, at your earliest convenience.

Thanks
Brett

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I had the knee kick panel off today.
Didn't know what the sensor mounted on it was so started searching.
Found this thread. Wouldn't have guessed it was a temperature sensor.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
with all the other comments, I don't think he needs anymore pats on the back. However, I have built a few wiring harness in my time. Especially when I merged my EFI 3800 SC engine into a Pontiac GA. So I've done some harness building. @Mpgrimm2 built me a harness for my ATC conversion. Top quality work... nice connections proper sheathing. Looks great... Well worth the few dollars it cost. Thanks Mike.

RamTony16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
with all the other comments, I don't think he needs anymore pats on the back. However, I have built a few wiring harness in my time. Especially when I merged my EFI 3800 SC engine into a Pontiac GA. So I've done some harness building. @Mpgrimm2 built me a harness for my ATC conversion. Top quality work... nice connections proper sheathing. Looks great... Well worth the few dollars it cost. Thanks Mike.
I was thinking the same thing. But I really was amazed at the quality of @Mpgrimm2 work. I was gonna install today but I’m gonna wait to show my brother in law these harnesses. Thanks again!

ligonw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Finally getting around to digging into this mod.

2013 Ram 3500 stock with 8.4 radio, 7 speed fan control, manual temperature control.

Am I totally missing something? Where would I need to pin and splice the four wires from the new temp sensor? The plug behind my HVAC controls is an 8 pin connector. I have included some pictures. Is this where I need to be poking around? If so, which pins and splices go where?

IMG_20191203_172442~2.jpg IMG_20191203_172021~2.jpg IMG_20191203_172046~2.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
No,
for your 3500 you need to splice in at the 24 pin HVAC module behind the passenger air vent/glove box and run the harness over to the cabin Temp location below the ignition switch... Some 2500/3500 trucks (often regular cabs) have the sensor plug already there.

M² Mods.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr