How to add remote start to 2017 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you everyone. Problem resolved and it was a ******** technician error and I'm the tech, LOL. I had pulled the purple wire out of the #11 port because I was going to cheat and just ground it and not use a switched hood latch. For safety and circuit resistance I ended up purchasing a switched latch but when I re-pinned the BCM connector I put the wire in the wrong #10 port. Took it back apart to double check, found my F up, switched the wire and all is well.

Thanks again

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you everyone. Problem resolved and it was a ******** technician error and I'm the tech, LOL. I had pulled the purple wire out of the #11 port because I was going to cheat and just ground it and not use a switched hood latch. For safety and circuit resistance I ended up purchasing a switched latch but when I re-pinned the BCM connector I put the wire in the wrong #10 port. Took it back apart to double check, found my F up, switched the wire and all is well.

Thanks again

Where did you get the pin for the number 11 slot?

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I didn't need to use another pin as my purple wire was already there from the factory. Pull the shield off by the hood latch and see if you have the factory connector by the latch and if you do follow Post #1 of this thread and it will tell you where to look to see if you are possibly wired from the factory. If you need pins you can purchase them from Mouser Electronics, use the link listed in #166 of this thread, I will warn you that shipping is pricey and be sure to order extras.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have the plug at the latch and the run to the plug under the fuse box, but they terminate there. I just bought the repair kit, but it comes with the pins for the hood latch, which I have. So I need to get the pin that goes into #11 at the BCM. I think I found the proper link,
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/829-13627884-L?r=829-13627884-L

I guess I’ll try these. Lol

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
There are 4 pins in the wiring kit correct? The #11 pin in the BCM connector is a female socket and really looks like one of the pins attached to the wires in the kit you already purchased. Did you download the Mopar remote start instructions yet, if not then do it. If your making your own harness, it looks like it's just 2 wires out of the hood latch connector. One goes to ground on the radiator support main ground lug with a generic crimp ring terminal and the other goes straight to the #11 pin on BCM connector under the dash. I'm not positive but you might already have what you need for a #11 pin by just adding a length of wire between 2 of the pins in your kit.

https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/pim/media?id=9012385939486

Last edited:

Trail Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just read through this whole thread. Didn't see it anywhere, but is this information pretty valid on the 2018 2500s as well? I ordered the hood latch, harness repair kit, and new inlays for my fobs listed from the original post. Everything should be here by mid next week to give this a go next weekend. Just wondered if there is anything that I should definitely be aware of that is different for a 2018.

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Just read through this whole thread. Didn't see it anywhere, but is this information pretty valid on the 2018 2500s as well? I ordered the hood latch, harness repair kit, and new inlays for my fobs listed from the original post. Everything should be here bu mid next week to give this a go next weekend. Just wondered if there is anything that I should definitely be aware of that is different for a 2018.

In the alphaobd thread in post 1 look for my name and I have step by step instructions with pictures. Everything worked fine on my 18 2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just read through this whole thread. Didn't see it anywhere, but is this information pretty valid on the 2018 2500s as well? I ordered the hood latch, harness repair kit, and new inlays for my fobs listed from the original post. Everything should be here by mid next week to give this a go next weekend. Just wondered if there is anything that I should definitely be aware of that is different for a 2018.
I did my 2018 2500 a few weeks ago, I did not have the harness for the latch. I installed the new latch, ran the harness to the module in front of the battery, pulled the rubber plugs, inserted the two wited in the correct pins. Programmed with Alfa. Super easy and works right off.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check the following value in the BCM. This may tell you if the harness from the hood latch goes all the way to the BCM.

Before installing hood latch with remote start sensor:
Hood Ajar Switch Voltage: 11.13 V

After installing hood latch with remote start sensor (hood closed):
Hood Ajar Switch Voltage: 5.33 V

Is this the wiring plug for the remote start sensor hood latch?

So, it may or may not actually go to the BCM... how dumb is that. :confused:

But after attaching it I can do the above test in Alfa - are there any other prerequisites to doing this test?

0TfGyhUh.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

But after attaching it I can do the above test in Alfa - are there any other prerequisites to doing this test?

0TfGyhUh.jpg
Yes, that’s the connector. The simplest way to verify if you’re 100% wired is to lift the fuse box and look at the big connector underneath. If you have wires in position 5&6 (shown in the first post) on both sides of the connector halves, then you’re good.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

0TfGyhUh.jpg

My truck had the plug at the latch also, and ran to the plug under the fuse box, but they did not come out the other side of the plug and go to the BCM. Reading through this thread though, some people’s were fully wired. You may get lucky.

After you install the hood latch, you can activate everything with AlphaOBD and then check the status for voltage. Somewhere here there is the procedure on checking the voltage. If it not connected to BCM, you get 12v, if it is connected you get 5.? Bolts. If I can find the link, I’ll post it.

From my install notes,

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My truck had the plug at the latch also, and ran to the plug under the fuse box, but they did not come out the other side of the plug and go to the BCM. Reading through this thread though, some people’s were fully wired. You may get lucky.

After you install the hood latch, you can activate everything with AlphaOBD and then check the status for voltage. Somewhere here there is the procedure on checking the voltage. If it not connected to BCM, you get 12v, if it is connected you get 5.? Bolts. If I can find the link, I’ll post it.

From my install notes,
I think this might be the post you’re looking for- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-add-remote-start-to-2017-ram.99849/page-18#post-1918887
But, this doesn’t indicate if the wiring is there or not. It’s just the difference in BCM values when the remote start is enabled or not. If you’re not wired to the BCM, then there won’t be any voltage at the switch, because the wires dead end at the front end connector. This is why the best method is a 2 minute visual check of the connector under the fuse box, and you’ll know exactly what is or isn’t there.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think this might be the post you’re looking for- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-add-remote-start-to-2017-ram.99849/page-18#post-1918887
But, this doesn’t indicate if the wiring is there or not. It’s just the difference in BCM values when the remote start is enabled or not. If you’re not wired to the BCM, then there won’t be any voltage at the switch, because the wires dead end at the front end connector. This is why the best method is a 2 minute visual check of the connector under the fuse box, and you’ll know exactly what is or isn’t there.

Mine read 12v without it hooked up and hood closed. That made me think I had it. So when I wouldn’t work I came here and found out it is 5.4v when hooked up and hood closed.

The visual, I tried and is tough to see in there, I had to use mirrors and flash lights. Lol

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine read 12v without it hooked up and hood closed. That made me think I had it. So when I wouldn’t work I came here and found out it is 5.4v when hooked up and hood closed.

The visual, I tried and is tough to see in there, I had to use mirrors and flash lights. Lol
So, are you saying that without the wires run to the BCM, and with the hood latch installed, you read 12 volts with a volt meter at the hood latch? That’s impossible, because that would be the same thing as holding two loose pieces of wire in your hand and expecting to get voltage out of them.
Or are you saying that the status of the BCM without the wires hooked up said 12 volts for pin 11 usage?

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, are you saying that without the wires run to the BCM, and with the hood latch installed, you read 12 volts with a volt meter at the hood latch? That’s impossible, because that would be the same thing as holding two loose pieces of wire in your hand and expecting to get voltage out of them.
Or are you saying that the status of the BCM without the wires hooked up said 12 volts for pin 11 usage?

When I ran a scan with AlphaOBD it read 12v.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I ran a scan with AlphaOBD it read 12v.
I think I see what you’re saying now. It’s reading the voltage usage AT pin 11 on the C1/A BCM connector.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think I see what you’re saying now. It’s reading the voltage usage AT pin 11 on the C1/A BCM connector.

This is a copy and paste from the post on page 17 or 18 that I referred to

Check the following value in the BCM. This may tell you if the harness from the hood latch goes all the way to the BCM.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is a copy and paste from the post on page 17 or 18 that I referred to

I gotcha. But checking this way means you have to buy one part (the latch sensor) to determine if you need another (wiring to the BCM). Once the BCM determines it has a sensor at the end of the line, it will go to the standard 5v sensor supply. I was thinking more of checking to see exactly what is needed right off the bat, by checking the connector under the fuse box right away. That way he doesn’t have to order a hood latch and install it, only to check the voltage and find out he needs to order the BCM terminal and wiring, also.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes, that’s the connector. The simplest way to verify if you’re 100% wired is to lift the fuse box and look at the big connector underneath. If you have wires in position 5&6 (shown in the first post) on both sides of the connector halves, then you’re good.

Well I am a bit confused, I looked the connector and compared to pics in post #1 - one of the pics is missing so not sure if I am seeing the correct wiring. Comparing to this picture:

.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ramforum.com%2Fpicture.png

Here are both sides of my connector (2016 1500 BigHorn). The purple wires are what is throwing me off, unless wire color isn't an issue.

k5dGl2Oh.jpg

uohNV0oh.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I am a bit confused, I looked the connector and compared to pics in post #1 - one of the pics is missing so not sure if I am seeing the correct wiring. Comparing to this picture:

.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ramforum.com%2Fpicture.png

Here are both sides of my connector (2016 1500 BigHorn). The purple wires are what is throwing me off, unless wire color isn't an issue.

k5dGl2Oh.jpg

uohNV0oh.jpg
You are fully wired up from latch connector to BCM. All you need is a hood latch and programmed

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963