How to add remote start to 2017 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoR125

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ok. Well now Mopar has told me that the part number is incorrect for my truck. Part # 82215553 is the correct part number, for my truck. Even though the part number i purchased, 82214054, is labeled for 17 2500.......Apparently there are 3 or 4 remote start kits, all labeled the same 14-17 1500/2500 I believe.
The only difference I can make out is the new part number does NOT come with the new RF hub, antenna, and cable. The only thing in the box is the hood switch, new keys, and some zip ties. I have another appointment tomorrow to get them to re-flash to the orginal RF hub and we will see what happens.
@Moab_Rockstar I believe you had mentioned in the beginning of this thread that the 17s DO NOT need the new RF hub, it appears you had it right.

Ill report back to let everyone know how it went.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
If you have a 17, you shouldn't need a new RF hub, but there have apparently been a few cases where vehicles have been built with the wrong one.The RF hub for a manual transmission truck won't have the ability to enable remote start. Basically the difference is that signal for remote start doesn't exist in the manual hub, but otherwise everything else is the same. Good luck.

NoR125

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
well, still no dice. Dealer is unable to get the remote start to work.

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
That's disappointing. I don't know how determined you are to get remote start going, but I'd be trying a different dealer if you have another nearby.

bacon13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I finally got my install done. The truck doesn't start. I click the start button on fob twice and I only get the dash/instrument cluster to light up. That tells me it is at least recognizing the remote start button? I was worried I didn't have the RF hub as mentioned in this thread. I already had dealer do their thing. Not sure what to try next. Maybe dealer didn't flash it correctly?

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does your radio show any options relating to remote start under settings ?
I would think if the code was in the truck there would be some remote start settings in the radio .

NoR125

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@bacon13 That is exactly what mine does. I haven't had time to try another dealer yet, but i am willing to bet that is the problem. What part number did you purchase?
@skuppy069 i have the very basic RA2 radio i believe, and i don't think i have any options related to remote start, however i never thought to look. Ill check later.

bacon13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@NoR125 I only bought the hood latch with the plug since I had the latch plug already wired there. I then ran the wire to the BCM and the ground wire under hood. I do have something in the menu on remote start but I don't recall what it said.

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you have a 17, you shouldn't need a new RF hub, but there have apparently been a few cases where vehicles have been built with the wrong one.The RF hub for a manual transmission truck won't have the ability to enable remote start. Basically the difference is that signal for remote start doesn't exist in the manual hub, but otherwise everything else is the same. Good luck.

So are you saying if the wiring harness is installed on a 2017 all you would have to do is install new hood latch, by proper key fob cases from eBay / Amazon and pin / run missing wires. Any pictures where you pin / what I would be looking for? Some of the ones early on in the post are not coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
I don't know what's going on with this site. The picture I had there isn't saved on my computer either. I'm not sure where it is.

The connector in question is a Gray connector under the PDC. Just release the tabs to lift up the PDC and access the connector. If the pins in question are populated on the body side, then connecting the front side should be all you need. Good luck.

Here's the diagram of the connector. Note the pins populated are for 2500/3500. They will be different for 1500.

frontconnector.26170
frontconnector
full

frontconnector.26170

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
12 pages is a lot to read through, but the OP is great. I plan on adapting over to oem remote start and doing keyless.

I saw the AlfaOBD thread and info, if anyone has one and could chim in whether you can change these settings, that would be one more reason to get the app and obd bt tool.

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't know what's going on with this site. The picture I had there isn't saved on my computer either. I'm not sure where it is.

The connector in question is a Gray connector under the PDC. Just release the tabs to lift up the PDC and access the connector. If the pins in question are populated on the body side, then connecting the front side should be all you need. Good luck.

Here's the diagram of the connector. Note the pins populated are for 2500/3500. They will be different for 1500.

frontconnector.26170
frontconnector
full

frontconnector.26170

PDC = Engine compartment “Fuse Box” ??

If I get the wires pinned to the correct spot and install hood latch do I still have to have the dealer update? Or can that part be done with AlfaOBD as long as I am using same remote insides? Sorry for all the questions

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Joe B and @Jkieffer I looked into this when installing mine and ultimately went to the dealer.

Note from Alfa developer:

"All the listed steps are covered by the program, but for
some of them I have no reports from the car owners for the
results of the real life tests. The procedure is
complicated and there is the risk to brick the new RFH if
anything goes wrong. I would suggest to go to the dealer
for this particular case, sorry!"

Between programming the BCM, the RFH, new FOBIKs and TPMS it is a lot to do and possibly not worth the risk to most. My dealer charged me 1 hour labor at $109.95 for everything. Considering the cost of replacement fobs/hub and in the event of catastrophic failure flashing the BCM….

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
PDC = Power Distribution Center... fusebox is probably the better term. ;)

You shouldn't have to replace the RF hub or the key fobs. The fobs are the same regardless of what buttons on them. There are only two types of RF hub in 2017, auto trans and manual trans. The BCM bit can be rewritten, but the RF hub rewrite requires the vehicle PIN number. Only a developer tool or dealer tool can do that part. The dealer has to have the XBM sales code added to the VIN though WIC, and then a technician will "restore" the RF hub and BCM settings based on the VIN. Waiting for WIC can take up to an hour, the restore procedure with WiTech takes about 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
@Joe B and @Jkieffer I looked into this when installing mine and ultimately went to the dealer.

Note from Alfa developer:

"All the listed steps are covered by the program, but for
some of them I have no reports from the car owners for the
results of the real life tests. The procedure is
complicated and there is the risk to brick the new RFH if
anything goes wrong. I would suggest to go to the dealer
for this particular case, sorry!"

Between programming the BCM, the RFH, new FOBIKs and TPMS it is a lot to do and possibly not worth the risk to most. My dealer charged me 1 hour labor at $109.95 for everything. Considering the cost of replacement fobs/hub and in the event of catastrophic failure flashing the BCM….

Thanks for the reply, Ghost! That's very helpful. Much appreciated.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when i installed my remote start, I had to install the hood latch and pin the harness. it did not work until I flashed at the dealer. one of my favorite “mods” even though it’s a factory upgrade. it’s insanely necessary in galveston humid heat.

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
when i installed my remote start, I had to install the hood latch and pin the harness. it did not work until I flashed at the dealer. one of my favorite “mods” even though it’s a factory upgrade. it’s insanely necessary in galveston humid heat.

Do you have more information on where you had to pin your harness. What year etc. I have a 2017 I have the harness and just recieved the latch. It is tucked into the main loom and looking were I need to start untucking and pin / route. Any ideas or pictures of where at. Would be helpful.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have more information on where you had to pin your harness. What year etc. I have a 2017 I have the harness and just recieved the latch. It is tucked into the main loom and looking were I need to start untucking and pin / route. Any ideas or pictures of where at. Would be helpful.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I want to say it was 3rd pin from the top right, or top left (can't remember which) of this certain harness underneath dash on driver side. the install kit had instructions.

my truck is a 2017 express, which didn't have the sensor on the hood latch. i had to install a new one.

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Jkieffer I just looked this up for someone. If it is the same as a 16', it is pin #11 on the upper most left connection to the BCM.