How to add remote start to 2017 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, if you have something in the pin 11 location it needs to be removed but just inserting a pin should slide in and click. To remove it again you would have to get a small tool in to remove again. If I'm not mistaken though, they have to be inserted the correct way but I believe it would still go in all the way but if not the correct way it wouldn't hold firm. And of course, you have to remove the outer casing by pressing in on the release tabs.

Yeah. I got everything down to a science but the only thing is the pin is to wide from the crimp and won’t fully go in the connector. I’ll have to do some crimping practice

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion! MTC to ATC Mod almost

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, if you have something in the pin 11 location it needs to be removed but just inserting a pin should slide in and click. To remove it again you would have to get a small tool in to remove again. If I'm not mistaken though, they have to be inserted the correct way but I believe it would still go in all the way but if not the correct way it wouldn't hold firm. And of course, you have to remove the outer casing by pressing in on the release tabs.

Got everything hooked up and used some 90 degree needle nose pliers and it snapped right In. And now I finally have my factory OEM remote start. Last night I set all the VTA setting and the remote start setting. Finally got the wiring hooked up and did the RF hub reset and bam. It works like a charm. Thank you everyone for the advice

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion! MTC to ATC Mod almost

DBrown850

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good evening guys! I am new to the site and recently purchased a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie. I am wanting to do the remote start mod but am not sure which kit to purchase and which pins are needed. Some post reference pin 5/6 and so reference pin 11. Can anyone ve me instructions for my specific truck? Thanks guys and love the forum so far.

Danny

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn’t go the kit route and I just purchased some 18 gauge primary wire from autozone. Ordered the pins off online and did it myself. I only spent $60 at most with the stuff including the hood latch.

But I had a crimper for the terminals to crimp them on the wires. If you don’t want to do that route. I suggest you go to All Mopar parts on this forum. Look under the Vendor section. Give him your model year and maybe vin and he will give you the PN for the Mopar kit to add remote start.

The Mopar kits actually comes with step by step instructions to do the instal

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Let me preface this by saying all trucks are different. Some have the harness installed all the way to the BCM while many don't. (SOME HAVE THE CONNECTOR AND IT NEVER COMPLETES THE CIRCUIT. You need to tone all the way through to ensure. If it does not make it all the way through it is almost impossible to find where it stops as the harness is wrapped pretty tight.

68159725AB (1500) Hood latch with switch
68065018AA (1500) Repair Kit with connector

https://www.mouser.com/Product...29-13627884-L?r=829-13627884-L (BCM PIN)

18 gauge primary wire from autozone
Grounding terminal from autozone
Heat Shrink

Amazon or Ebay

Replacement tip start overlays (4 Button)
OR
Replacement Keyfobs (4 Button)

The above cost around $60.00

A kit from MOPAR cost about $230 to $320

Programming from the dealer ranges $80.00 to $120.00 in my area

The following can be used for other installs
Crimper for BCM terminal

The following can be used to program and forego dealer programming. (DEPENDS ON LEVEL OF ABILITY AND COMFORT LEVEL)

MX ODB Adapter (for programming) $70.00
Amazon

ALPHA Software (for programming) $50.00
Google Play Store / Windows Store (require android or windows device)

Instructions.
https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/pim/media?id=9012385939486

Hope this helps

Joe

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the link for the Keypad replacement.

It’s Prime shipping and $8 can’t beat it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07G835ZV5

DBrown850

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I want to tell you my situation... I have a 2017 Laramie and I checked today... I have the plug next to the hood latch and I toned the wires at the plug and one is a ground and one toned to pin 11 at the bcm. My question is... am I correct in thinking that all I need to buy is the hood latch with the connector and then have it programmed??? I looked at the instructions that come with the mopar kit they dodge says is for my truck and it says it it for the GX4. My truck has the key n go (GX4). So I am worried remote start isn't available for my truck..... Any help would be awesome!!!

Danny

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I want to tell you my situation... I have a 2017 Laramie and I checked today... I have the plug next to the hood latch and I toned the wires at the plug and one is a ground and one toned to pin 11 at the bcm. My question is... am I correct in thinking that all I need to buy is the hood latch with the connector and then have it programmed??? I looked at the instructions that come with the mopar kit they dodge says is for my truck and it says it it for the GX4. My truck has the key n go (GX4). So I am worried remote start isn't available for my truck..... Any help would be awesome!!!

Danny

Worst thing you can do is spend $30 on a hood latch and have it actuvated

DBrown850

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know of a truck that has both the key n go and remote start?

And I ordered the latch today. 35 dollars

Danny

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing I’m having a problem with is when I remote start my Heat/Air doesn’t go into high mode like my escape did. Is this normal? Does the driver comfort setting need to be on for it to actually heat or cool the vehicle? I’m assuming the auto ATC has something to do with it possibly. Then again. It has not been very hot or cold to really test it correctly.

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion!, MTC to ATC Mod, OEM Remote Start

Joji91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does this work with 2016 trucks?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Does anyone know of a truck that has both the key n go and remote start?

And I ordered the latch today. 35 dollars

Danny
I just added the latch, bought the correct fob and programmed everything with alfaodb today.

I enabled the alarm, alarm hood ajar monitoring, another hood ajar monitoring setting, set the hood ajar sensor to the recommended ohm setting and the remote start present. I also programmed the fob using the fobik high line option.

I did not have to run the hood latch wiring as it was already there. In alfaodb there is a way to see the current status and I verified it showed the hood ajar after pulling the hood release. I thought I was all set and it still didn't work. I then tried to run the procedure called "remote start temporary disable." It didn't seem to do anything.

I gave up for a little bit as I had to get back to work. When I went back outside and tried the remote start on the fob, it worked.

Sent from my Z2_PRO using Tapatalk

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I just added the latch, bought the correct fob and programmed everything with alfaodb today.

I enabled the alarm, alarm hood ajar monitoring, another hood ajar monitoring setting, set the hood ajar sensor to the recommended ohm setting and the remote start present. I also programmed the fob using the fobik high line option.

I did not have to run the hood latch wiring as it was already there. In alfaodb there is a way to see the current status and I verified it showed the hood ajar after pulling the hood release. I thought I was all set and it still didn't work. I then tried to run the procedure called "remote start temporary disable." It didn't seem to do anything.

I gave up for a little bit as I had to get back to work. When I went back outside and tried the remote start on the fob, it worked.

Having trouble editing with Tapatalk. I have a Laramie with Key-N-Go.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So far I have
Changed the hood lock as the factory connector was already there
Remote present=yes
Hood ajar input present=yes
VTA warning LED output present=yes
CBC Features VTA hood ajar monitoring=yes
LIN and Misc-VTA system present=VTA
CBC I/O usage-hood ajar switch usage = 500 ohm series
And reset the RFID hub

I keep getting a message on my small EVIC, "Remote Start Canceled Hood Open" and no starting, just beeps the horn,lock the doors and flashes the dash lights.

Any suggestions? Did I turn too many settings on the VTA?
Thanks

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So far I have
Changed the hood lock as the factory connector was already there
Remote present=yes
Hood ajar input present=yes
VTA warning LED output present=yes
CBC Features VTA hood ajar monitoring=yes
LIN and Misc-VTA system present=VTA
CBC I/O usage-hood ajar switch usage = 500 ohm series
And reset the RFID hub

I keep getting a message on my small EVIC, "Remote Start Canceled Hood Open" and no starting, just beeps the horn,lock the doors and flashes the dash lights.

Any suggestions? Did I turn too many settings on the VTA?
Thanks
Try changing hood ajar switch usage to 1k ohm.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OK, I'll try a change to 1K ohm, reset the hub and let it sleep and see what happens.

rwwells

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the following value in the BCM. This may tell you if the harness from the hood latch goes all the way to the BCM.

Before installing hood latch with remote start sensor:
Hood Ajar Switch Voltage: 11.13 V

After installing hood latch with remote start sensor (hood closed):
Hood Ajar Switch Voltage: 5.33 V

Reactions: kad

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Mine had remote start already and it had the 1K resistor setting.
Get the same EVIC message when hood is open and try remote start.

See via AlfaOBD:

Unified Diagnostic Services - Diagnostic Protocol: Activated
Analog Inputs:
Hood Ajar Switch: Closed
Hood Ajar Switch Voltage: 5.57 V