How To Add115v AC Outlet w/ Inverter, Harness and Bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You are absolutely correct. My 17 1500 and 16 KL also have the new 6 pin connector at the outlet. My 16 2500 has the same connector as the original write up. It seems FCA changed the outlet/wiring for 2017+ Rams

Inverter wiring is the same between the different outlet configurations.

OP
OP
PNUTLT1

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found an issue with this step:

I don't know what year your truck is, but mine is a 2017. In 2017, this connector now only has 6 pins, and the layout is different. It obviously changed at some point.

picture.php

I also have a different part number for the outlet. 56046934AA - the parts site says 2014 to 2019
68159295AB - says 2013 to 2016

Where it gets really weird though, is that if I look up 2016MY DS or DJ, it shows the 8 pin connector and layout for the IP outlet. For the plug in the inverter, things appear to be the same. I'm guessing the outlet for 2017 trucks goes back to 2014 in a different program, maybe WD/WK or KL. The 6 pin connector appears to be in DS and DJ etc for 2017

The kick panel connectors are different between 1500 and 2500/3500. The connectors for the inverter appear to all be the same. The connector for the outlets appear to be the same, but change at 17MY

"FCA = friggin' connector anarchy"

I believe the 13-16 have the 8 pin connector like the one I have on my 14.
As you see I depinned it and added constant switched power to the connector and it worked fine.
But i believe the wiring is there on Regular Cab trucks because some guys had crew and quad cabs without the appropriate wiring.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
Whether or not a truck will have the wiring might just be based on luck. So far, it seems like all the trucks have the outlet plug in the dash harness regardless of trim level.

Most trucks likely have all the wiring in place (or at least most wiring) if you have power seats. If you have manual seats, you're probably going to be in the same boat I was. From what I can tell, none of the wiring harnesses for the body or seat reference the build code JKV for the inverter, so it's all just guesses.

It's still a good write up. This thread is what convinced me to go ahead and get an inverter for my truck and thus dig up all this crap for harnesses. If I had realized sooner how much wiring I was actually missing, I think I would have just skipped it though. ;)