How to aim your headlights - 4th Gen Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
sorry for raising this thread from the dead but what are the normal increments for adjustment? Like 1/4turn or 3 turns at a time? just for general guidance...

Older thread, but figured I would post in case someone needed info going forward - I just did 2.8" Bils and it took aprox 6-7 turns to get lights back down to "normal" position - so appears to be about 2 turns per inch, give or take.

chum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
read some where, measure the center of your headlight to the ground and the cut off should be 4 inches lower at 25ft away

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
read some where, measure the center of your headlight to the ground and the cut off should be 4 inches lower at 25ft away

*2 inches lower is the general rule of thumb. Sometimes you have to go lower if trucks lifted or if your constantly towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Makes sense, thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Glad I found this thread. After my 4" lift and LED lights, people are flashing me their brights. Didn't know how to adjust them down. Thanks so much for the post!!

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Reviving this older thread. After installing LED lows in the reflectors I was able to get them adjusted. The box attached to the low LED harness fit pretty well into the cavity inside the headlight. I put off installing the highs because the box would not fit easily. When I pulled the lights again this weekend I was able to jamb the box into the cavity near the highs but it seems like it messed up my adjustment for the lows. Made them too high.
So now it looks like I have to take everything apart again to see what is going on. While typing this I began to wonder if the box for the highs will fit in the cavity behind the lows and just snake the wiring across.
My dumb question is: how do you disconnect the entire headlight from the truck? There looks like a wire goes between the high and low but i did not pull the cap to see if there is a plug in there. Would be a lot easier to work on the bench.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Reviving this older thread. After installing LED lows in the reflectors I was able to get them adjusted. The box attached to the low LED harness fit pretty well into the cavity inside the headlight. I put off installing the highs because the box would not fit easily. When I pulled the lights again this weekend I was able to jamb the box into the cavity near the highs but it seems like it messed up my adjustment for the lows. Made them too high.
So now it looks like I have to take everything apart again to see what is going on. While typing this I began to wonder if the box for the highs will fit in the cavity behind the lows and just snake the wiring across.
My dumb question is: how do you disconnect the entire headlight from the truck? There looks like a wire goes between the high and low but i did not pull the cap to see if there is a plug in there. Would be a lot easier to work on the bench.

To completely remove the headlight from the truck for quads, all you need to do is disconnect the 2 connectors on each side. Pull back the locking tab, press down in between the locking tab and the back of the connector and pull. Might take a little effort. One is for your low/high and the other is your park/turn lights. Inside the headlights the wiring splits to the highs and lows. For projectors it's 1 connector.

Most likely the ballast for the highs wedged against the bezel and moved it up and might not allow it to be adjusted down. Just a big game of tetris

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
To completely remove the headlight from the truck for quads, all you need to do is disconnect the 2 connectors on each side. Pull back the locking tab, press down in between the locking tab and the back of the connector and pull. Might take a little effort. One is for your low/high and the other is your park/turn lights. Inside the headlights the wiring splits to the highs and lows. For projectors it's 1 connector.

Most likely the ballast for the highs wedged against the bezel and moved it up and might not allow it to be adjusted down. Just a big game of tetris

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback. Happy New Year

14Deebo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for this thread. I just dropped a set of Morimoto HID's in and needed to adjust. Even pulling the headlights out I couldn't quite figure out how to vertically adjust. I will say though, reading through this thread makes me want to open the OEM lights up and do a projector retrofit. I told myself I would leave them alone when I bought the truck, but man do the factory projectors blow. I had Morimoto D2S 4.0's in my last car, so I was spoiled.

Tom8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just leveled my truck. Need to adjust his so I don't blind my oncoming commuters. thanks.

jelih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maaaaan thank you so much for this. It really is the little things. I just did the H9 mod and they were a little low. I thought I was gonna have to jack with that screw on the bottom of the headlight assembly behind the grille.

Ramo70

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A little tip if using 1/4" socket and extension (or any combination). Put a wrap of electrical tape around them to hold them together so they won't disconnect fall off into no man's land.
You mean into the same area as those three or four 10mm sockets reside? LOL. Excellent advice.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963