How to Buy Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Im thinkin about gettin new shocks on my truck maybe this summer. My trucks got a Tuff Country EZ-Ride 5" lift though, so to buy shocks, I have to order em for a 5" lift right? Im prob not gonna go with the same Tuff Country ones, i might do Rough Country or Rancho or something along those lines.

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
That is correct; you'll need the ones for the adequate lift. I have RC's 9000-series on my 2G truck, and I really like them.

Oh, and if you haven't replaced shocks on the 2G before, the left/front can be tricky to get out the top, through the engine bay (it's right under the brake master cylinder), but not hard.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I would not waste my money on Rancho or Rough Country shocks because they are likely made by the same people that made your current shocks. Anyway...it's not an upgrade.

Something like Bilstiens or Fox would be an upgrade...certainly not the cheapest route, but if you're gonna buy cookie cutter shocks buy the cheapest of the two.

Last edited:

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
all white body shocks are the same. except rancho, then id go with the 9000 series they are adjustable and resoably priced compared to bilstein and fox

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
When I used to sell shocks we used to get a lot of Ranchos back including those 9000 adjustables.
While they'll probably hold up under mild daily usage...they certainly don't off roading. I swear that half the time the valving doesn't even adjust.

BIlstiens seem to have a higher fade resistance over rough terrain. Sometimes you just can't fault quality.

I know I'm looking forward to my upgrade.

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
My RCs are cheap, and functional.. I can replace them several times over, for the price of Bilsteins or others.. :) And my 180k mile, 11yr old 2500 rides like a buckboard wagon, anyway LOL

I will agree, however, that offroading will kill them in short order. On my rock crawlers, I always went with remote reservoir styled units (usually Pro-Comp or the likes), but my travel lengths were well into the double-digit inches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I dont do too much off roadin with my truck, i mean it is lifted and all but i dont really have very many places in my area to go mudding or anything. i have before but it doesnt happen very often. Id like something decent, but then again i dont need top of the line shocks. Just something for everyday daily drivin, but that can also handle the abuse of the occasional off road trips lol

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
id go with the rancho then, not to expense, yeah they can have problems but they won't with what your running/doing

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
id go with the rancho then, not to expense, yeah they can have problems but they won't with what your running/doing
Yeah i think im gonna look into them. I dont need em right away, mine are still pretty good but ill prob be more serious about buyin em more into the summer...

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did a Monroe shock coilover conversion in the rear and love them but I don't think they come in lifted sizes. But hey they might. I'll get pics tomorrow.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Reaction score
Ram Year
'01 Ram
Engine
my lift hasn't been on that long and i'm already looking for new shocks. i myself was contemplating Rancho shocks for my lifted street truck but after thinking about it long and hard, i'm thinking Bilstein is the way to go.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
my lift hasn't been on that long and i'm already looking for new shocks. i myself was contemplating Rancho shocks for my lifted street truck but after thinking about it long and hard, i'm thinking Bilstein is the way to go.
Ive been hearin some good things about the bilsteins. And 326 for the set on Ebay isnt too bad i guess. Maybe ill go with them, well see how things go this summer though...