How to DELETE the Active Grille Shutter System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Did not mean to attach my reply to Cornelius' quote..

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My stop and go gas mileage didn't noticeably change but I'm getting 24 mpg (+/-)on the highway...but that's driving at no more than 5 over the posted limit.

Hmm, thats weird. Out on the highway is where they’re supposed to help as they make the wind go around you instead of flowing in the engine compartment.... so you’re sayin the cooler temps is what’s having to do with what sounds to be your mileage increase? What were you getting before and what gear ratio you have? I got the 3.92’s in my Hemi but I just wonder about any warranty issues I’d run into in fully disabling mine. I don’t think mine’s helping me much for mileage and come to think of it, I really don’t think my truck warms up any quicker in the winter time than my old truck that didn’t have it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m curious.... can you just remove the shutters and leave everything else behind, and still get the same effect as removing the whole thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’m curious.... can you just remove the shutters and leave everything else behind, and still get the same effect as removing the whole thing?

You have to leave 1 upper slat and 1 lower slat in on each side to beat the code.The slats just pop out,so it's easy to remove the middle slats,and if it turns out you don't like them out,just pop them back in

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to leave 1 upper slat and 1 lower slat in on each side to beat the code.The slats just pop out,so it's easy to remove the middle slats,and if it turns out you don't like them out,just pop them back in

So what really is the advantage to doing that, other than making it run a little bit cooler? Does this really help that much in aerodynamics? It doesn’t seem to help much for making the truck warm up any quicker but I wonder if this thing helps with maybe keeping the radiator clean by keeping the bugs out of it’s closed or mostly closed? Also does it make the ac work better since there’d be more air flow?

Been thinking about doing it but since I don’t plan to add a pro-charger, or a cooler thermostat, I just can’t see the purpose...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty sure if anyone ever said aerodynamics were the reason, it was FCA spin.

IMHO they exist to keep the coolant temp up, since a hotter engine is more efficient. Maybe it gains FCA another 0.0000000004 mpg, add up the 0.0000000003 that MDS gains and now all of a sudden........ it's still not useful to the consumer. But it helps meet cafe so it stays.

I hate how high I've seen my coolant temp go, it's not horrible (220 once in a while) but I would much rather see it down by 200 or even a little lower ALL the time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm pretty sure if anyone ever said aerodynamics were the reason, it was FCA spin.

IMHO they exist to keep the coolant temp up, since a hotter engine is more efficient. Maybe it gains FCA another 0.0000000004 mpg, add up the 0.0000000003 that MDS gains and now all of a sudden........ it's still not useful to the consumer. But it helps meet cafe so it stays.

I hate how high I've seen my coolant temp go, it's not horrible (220 once in a while) but I would much rather see it down by 200 or even a little lower ALL the time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you leave the stock mechanical fan and shroud on the truck,you can easily get away with running a 180 T-stat.It's only when you want to remove the OEM clutch fan,that you should be tuned to reset the e-fans On/Off parameters.If the OEM mechanical fan is still on,you don't need a tuner to reap the benefits of a lower T-stat.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So what really is the advantage to doing that, other than making it run a little bit cooler? Does this really help that much in aerodynamics? It doesn’t seem to help much for making the truck warm up any quicker but I wonder if this thing helps with maybe keeping the radiator clean by keeping the bugs out of it’s closed or mostly closed? Also does it make the ac work better since there’d be more air flow?

Been thinking about doing it but since I don’t plan to add a pro-charger, or a cooler thermostat, I just can’t see the purpose...

If bugs in the rad are a concern,there's lots of room to install a bug screen between the shutters and A/C condenser.I used to build bug screens for the later trucks with electric steering..The screen bolted to the bottom of the rad support and uses factory push pins to hold it in holes on the top of the rad support.I gave my pattern and measurements to a welder buddy that was going to make them up and sell them,but he ran into the same issue I was,nobody actually wanted to fork over any money for them,lol.I built about a 1/2 dozen,ended up giving the majority of them away ,think I actually had 2 guys who payed for one,the Ram community is full of cheap asses,lol.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like stated on another similar thread, deleting the middle slats basically opens it up which benefits those of us with Vararam intakes...allows it to function as it was designed, ram air.
One thing came to mind, @Wild one , how would a Vararam equipped truck ever get a fully accurate dyno run? Does a variable speed fan exist to simulate the airflow for an intake system like these?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Like stated on another similar thread, deleting the middle slats basically opens it up which benefits those of us with Vararam intakes...allows it to function as it was designed, ram air.
One thing came to mind, @Wild one , how would a Vararam equipped truck ever get a fully accurate dyno run? Does a variable speed fan exist to simulate the airflow for an intake system like these?

Most dyno shops have a huge fan to keep air moving through the rad while on the dyno,it won't actually simulate the airflow you'd get at say a 100mph,but it's usually all you have on a dyno.I'm not a fan of dyno numbers as such as a dyno is nothing more then a tuning tool,while numbers generated at a track are more indictive of the gains you might get.MPH = horsepower / ET = torque ,if you throw something like a Vararam on and you pick up mph,you know it's actually adding power,if you don't gain any mph,you haven't gained any horsepower.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
[QUOTE="Wild one, post: 2067006, member: 40249"if you throw something like a Vararam on and you pick up mph,you know it's actually adding power,if you don't gain any mph,you haven't gained any horsepower.[/QUOTE]

far too logical, Rick!

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It makes sense, i figured there would be something to simulate it, if not it would be a waste. Just curious.

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I took out the 4 middle slats because I wanted lower running temps. I have the V6 Pentestar and like I posted earlier, I normally drive at about 5 over posted speed on the highway. I just drove from Fayetteville NC to Bear DE and my average mpg was 23.7. I did experience temps in the 220-230 range while stuck in DC traffic on the 495 beltway. I will be checking my thermostat(it's the original) to see if it is "sticking" or rusty tomorrow. I've even contemplated just replacing it for GP....

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couple weekends ago I decided to pull out all but the top and bottom slats on my AGS so that I wouldn’t have to completely remove it and deal with the modification to the actuator motor, but so far I haven’t driven the truck long enough to see any real results. I never really paid attention to what my running temperature was but at least I can say that the temp needle is now slightly to the left of center of the gauge, rather than dead center where it was before. I would imagine that to get the full effect, I’d have to probably put a colder thermostat in. Does anybody know what they are from the factory? I read a lot where a lot of people are putting 180° stats in but, wouldn’t that cause a code for the engine running probably 20° cooler than it’s supposed to be?

badkittie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I'm actually having to change out my thermostat this weekend, truck overheated yesterday when I got back to work from running errands.
So I'd be curious if there are any downsides to installing a lower temp thermostat vs. the 203 degree that is recommended.
Also, how do you know if you have the AGS? I honestly don't recall the last time I had the grill removed.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm actually having to change out my thermostat this weekend, truck overheated yesterday when I got back to work from running errands.
So I'd be curious if there are any downsides to installing a lower temp thermostat vs. the 203 degree that is recommended.
Also, how do you know if you have the AGS? I honestly don't recall the last time I had the grill removed.

you don't have the AGS in your 2010

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Couple weekends ago I decided to pull out all but the top and bottom slats on my AGS so that I wouldn’t have to completely remove it and deal with the modification to the actuator motor, but so far I haven’t driven the truck long enough to see any real results. I never really paid attention to what my running temperature was but at least I can say that the temp needle is now slightly to the left of center of the gauge, rather than dead center where it was before. I would imagine that to get the full effect, I’d have to probably put a colder thermostat in. Does anybody know what they are from the factory? I read a lot where a lot of people are putting 180° stats in but, wouldn’t that cause a code for the engine running probably 20° cooler than it’s supposed to be?

Not with a 180 it won't throw a code,and I've only ever seen one "car" my buddies 6.4 Superbee throw a code with his 160 t-stat.There's quite a few guys down south running the 160 t-stats,and I can't say as I've ever heard of anybody getting a code in the trucks even with a 160.I run a 180 t-stat in my wifes basically stock/untuned 2016 Challenger and it's never thrown any engine temp codes,i have a 170 t-stat in my truck,and have never had any issues with codes in regards to engine temp.
The stock thermostat is a 203F t-stat.
FYI: if you have the 8 speed,even if you throw a 160 t-stat in the truck,it'll still run at right around 185F when warmed up,it just takes a bit longer to get to that temp.

Psyko Sematic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If bugs in the rad are a concern,there's lots of room to install a bug screen between the shutters and A/C condenser.I used to build bug screens for the later trucks with electric steering..The screen bolted to the bottom of the rad support and uses factory push pins to hold it in holes on the top of the rad support.I gave my pattern and measurements to a welder buddy that was going to make them up and sell them,but he ran into the same issue I was,nobody actually wanted to fork over any money for them,lol.I built about a 1/2 dozen,ended up giving the majority of them away ,think I actually had 2 guys who payed for one,the Ram community is full of cheap asses,lol.

Hell I’d buy one if you still build them

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the AGS is more about EPA and general emissions than it is about fuel economy. The faster you get the engine temp up, the quicker you can lean back the fuel and supposedly reduce emissions.

What I have never understood - is how many emissions systems and devices are mandated that actually limit fuel economy - almost to the point of actually doing more total "harm" than without.