How To: Fogs on with the High Beams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Link to such a device? And does it work with 2018’s?
I don't have a link handy but the tool is made by a company called Auto Engenuity. It Is a scan tool that we have discovered can also change codes in the BCM. After you purchase the actual tool Plus the Chrysler interface it's going to run you around $400. I bought mine from KT perfomance. They had the best price I was able to find. Most of us bought tools to turn on several codes instead of just one so it made sense for us to purchase them. Obviously it would be a ridiculous amount of money to pay just to activate your fog lights with high beams. After a lot of trial and error we found the tool is good to turn on certain codes but other codes you activate can really mess up your BCM so you need to be careful when you use it. From what I am hearing the 2018 Rams have some type of security system in the BCM and it's much more difficult to try to activate codes that are not allowed. I have not tried to do anything on a 2018 Ram with my tool to have any first-hand knowledge to weather or not this is true.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
What codes would need to be turned on for fogs with high beams? Looking at my signature, I may or may not have access to a WiTech system and could turn mine on largely for free.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What codes would need to be turned on for fogs with high beams? Looking at my signature, I may or may not have access to a WiTech system and could turn mine on largely for free.
The AE tool shows the codes in a different format so I don't know what abbreviation code would show up on the WiTech. In many cases the dealer cannot turn on certain codes that Chrysler has not authorized with the WiTech as they are blocked out according to Vin#. That is why we bought the AE tool so we could turn on codes that Chrysler did not allow for our lower trim level trucks,heated,vented seats,heated steering wheel ect. If you have access to the tool you could always go in and look around but I highly doubt you'd be able to change that setting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where are you located, I’d bet for a beer or cherry coke someone can get it running for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernGypsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
There used to be a trick on some models where you literally just clipped one of the legs off of the Fog Lamp relay (you can look it up for TJ Model Jeep Wranglers and the same trick worked for the Rams of the same generation) and that stopped it from switching off when you swapped from low to high beams. Don't know if that works anymore or not but I drive a lot in rural areas with winding roads at night and just got a 2018 Laramie that I want to fix so the driving lamps will stay on with the high beams as well.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There used to be a trick on some models where you literally just clipped one of the legs off of the Fog Lamp relay (you can look it up for TJ Model Jeep Wranglers and the same trick worked for the Rams of the same generation) and that stopped it from switching off when you swapped from low to high beams. Don't know if that works anymore or not but I drive a lot in rural areas with winding roads at night and just got a 2018 Laramie that I want to fix so the driving lamps will stay on with the high beams as well.

My 2000 Ford Focus had a similar trick you remove the relay and insert a jumper wire between 2 terminals and you can control the fogs independent from the other lights.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The ram fogs seem to be controlled by the bcm and not by means of a relay.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ram fogs seem to be controlled by the bcm and not by means of a relay.

Coerect, and the AE tool can change it in less than a minute

Well more technical the bcm controls the relay but yes it’s still the bcm that tells them when they are allowed to function

Last edited:

DieselRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins, 370hp 800 lb-ft
There is. On all 4th gens, turn your frog lights on with your low beams, snap the light controls on left hand side of wheel back towards yourself then all the way forward to the high beam position. Movement has to be fast and smooth and voila you've got los his and fogs at once. Headlight selector must be manually on and not in the auto position. Works like a charm.
Worked like a charm on my 2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn. Thanks And didn't cost me $800 for a programmer.

Last edited:

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can also program this with alphaobd if you already invested in it for other options.

I myself have programmed them to stay on with highs along with a bunch of other changes not bad for $50 app with a $50 bluetooth obd scan tool.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remember, diff laws for different states, ref Fogs on and how many lamps forward. In TX, only allowed a total of 4 lamps forward, just FYI

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can also program this with alphaobd if you already invested in it for other options.

I myself have programmed them to stay on with highs along with a bunch of other changes not bad for $50 app with a $50 bluetooth obd scan tool.

Same here, its amazing to read this thread and see what members used to do, now it's a simple command using alphaobd

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you tell me the AlpahOBD settings I need to change for the Fogs to stay on with HiBeams?
Oh and Fog/Driving lights are illegal around waynoka oklahoma low beams or high beams... We had to find the fuse and pull it for the HP officer while down there. He was a jerk about it too.

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
its fog light drop out you can find most of this on youtube btw

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio