How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No. The UAM (Delphi) the plugs are different. The Panasonic’s are two piece units so if you got the plug from the Panasonic to the screen then it might work. I believe they are two pieces units because the 12 screens have to be the two piece units. Panasonic is for the Nav units in 2019. Word is they signed back with Harmony for next year but I’m willing to bet the two piece units are here to stay

ichime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Alright, I finally got around installing a UAQ radio on my 2014 2500 and everything works great! I outsourced parts individually rather than the infotainment package but I had to get their 4C Retrofit module so that the heated seats and steering wheel appear on screen.

I also got the USB Hub wiring harness from DeereGuy/Mpgrimm2 and the actual dual USB hub from Jkieffer (he had a spare one) and all the connections (including the Aux port) works perfectly with Android Auto and Apple Carplay (both plugged simultaneously with the ability to switch between them on the screen).

The only issue is that the lighting around the USB and Aux ports don't light up with the rest of the vehicle (which makes it harder to see at night), but I know it works because it lights up when the miniusb port behind the hub is NOT plugged in (but the 2nd harness is plugged in). Once that miniUSB is plugged in, the lights turn off. As someone already suggested, it might need a sales code to get it to light up with the rest of the car.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Along that subject, since I have a full console in my truck, I had to make a plastic cutout for the dual USB hub to fit in. I attached a PDF of the cutout I did if anyone plans to do the same thing I did since the 2013-16 console USB cutouts are different from the 2017s and newer. If you print out the PDF on a regular 8.5x11 sheet of paper, it should be to exact scale as far as measurements so all you'll need to do is outline it on a 1/8 inch thick piece of plastic (it has to be 1/8 inch thick or the hub would be too loose if it's thinner or it won't click into place if it's too thick).

Measurements are as follows (in case it doesn't print to scale):
- Overall length: 4.468 inch
- Maximum height (to the Apex): 2.125 inch
- Length of inside cutout (where the hub slides in): 3.375 inch
- Height of inside cutout: 1 inch
- Distance from base to inside cutout: 1/2 inch
- Thickness of the rectangular nub (left of inside cutout): 1/16th inch

The piece looks rough on the cuts, but I sanded down most of it to round out the edges so that it looks almost OEM (see pictures). I used epoxy (3770psi) to glue it to the rest of the console after I Dremel'd out some of the plastic on the console. Also, be sure to leave about 1/8-1/16th of space underneath where you glue your piece to the console so the rubber mat can fit. I accounted for this when I made the piece.

20180903_112248.jpg

Attachments

• Ram Console USB cutout.pdf
    102.5 KB · Views: 60

Kiddingme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Nice job. I wonder if I could print a nice adapter like that with my printer or maybe use the Jeep Compass hub instead and print a little filler piece for the gap.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What hubs work with the harness you guys make? Ram 68328704AC, Liberty? Part number? Jeep? Chrysler? Looking for a cheaper alternative. Thanks

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
MEDIA HUB: 68328704AC (RAM) or 5XG28DX9AC (Compass) have been tested. Both different sizes. I believe the ram will take a cutout adapter some older consoles. The compass one is more square and has one USB and one aux.

Look at post #1 it has a lot of useful information.

I put replaced the hub in picture here with the compass hub because I had a very early console / lid which did not have media hub space. I since upgraded the console lid and have the compass setup / cubby available if needed, 574e7ef84e599783ab5257b3d4006926.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's a great idea and a better location IMO...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

DetroitCrow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
f35e031fc3e47b83d06178ff5be9e922.jpg

PLEASE Tell me which part number is this item?? I thought it was the 5XG28DX9AC but I got the square media port!

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
f35e031fc3e47b83d06178ff5be9e922.jpg

PLEASE Tell me which part number is this item?? I thought it was the 5XG28DX9AC but I got the square media port!

Ok, so I have an 18 Ram with uconnect 3 with 5" display ( i think that 5.0 radio) and i lso have the hub pictured above and a 7 speed fan control
Someone smarter than me please confirm the parts I need for 8.4:

1. UAS radio (Pamasonic no need for nav for m, but I want Android Auto)
2. Single zone bezel

Does that sund about right?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Ok, so I have an 18 Ram with uconnect 3 with 5" display ( i think that 5.0 radio) and i lso have the hub pictured above and a 7 speed fan control
Someone smarter than me please confirm the parts I need for 8.4:

1. UAS radio (Pamasonic no need for nav for m, but I want Android Auto)
2. Single zone bezel

Does that sund about right?
And the 18 HVAC module listed in post 5 and a 7 speed 8.4 conversion harness

M² Mods.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done a somewhat extensive and unsuccessful search for a VIN on ebay to see if I can get firmware downloads for my UAS radio. I search dozens of 2018 RAMs listed on eBay, grabbed the VIN, went to the uconnect download site without success. Every time it would come back as "your vehicle is up to date, There are no updates available at this time for your 2018 equipped with this system." Does anyone have a donor VIN I can use to download updates with?

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am in the same boat. As of right now the updates are only coming over the air. However, after reading all of the sound quality issues with the last over the air update for the UAS and UAQ I and 100% glad I have not had the update applied by be or over the air.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can this swap be done with a Canadian import 2014 Sport. I don't have uconnect cell capabilities (shark fin hardware, 911 etc) . I'm sure the swap would he successful but im more concerned about software problems putting in a unit that once had those capabilities but doesn't anymore. Unless id be lucky enough to find a used head unit from up North but not a clue how I would go about tracking a Canada spec one down then confirming it was off a Canada spec truck.

...unless Alfa obd has these options?

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 2500 tradesman with the 7speed fan/8.4 upgrades. I got my UAS radio in the other day and put it in just to try it out (no hub/harness yet). Everything worked as should minus the CarPlay stuff. I do have the backup camera button that does work during driving for the 10 seconds.

Media hub should be here tomorrow, harness hopefully soon (waiting on Deere to shop).

Definitely like the crispness of the new screen.

What are the UAS systems going for now used? What about the older non nav 8.4’s?

Thanks to all the guys that made this happen.

Also had an update available message pop up when I shut off the truck this morning but i opened the door to fast to see it.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Can this swap be done with a Canadian import 2014 Sport. I don't have uconnect cell capabilities (shark fin hardware, 911 etc) . I'm sure the swap would he successful but im more concerned about software problems putting in a unit that once had those capabilities but doesn't anymore. Unless id be lucky enough to find a used head unit from up North but not a clue how I would go about tracking a Canada spec one down then confirming it was off a Canada spec truck.

...unless Alfa obd has these options?
Another Canadian member gave me the impression that 68331632 might be a Canadian UAQ. You could contact forum vendor allmoparparts.com (Benny) and see if he can confirm.

M² Mods.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks! I think I have Benny qued up in some PMs on the other forum. I'll hit him up . If anyone has any thoughts on if a US one will work let me know .I suppose it wouldn't be any different is the pre US UAQs would work in a Canada one. I'll ask him alsob

MadGumby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How can I get my grubby hands on one of these in matte? Are you selling them or sharing the file so I can print it?

I'm actually interested in this as well. I have put off cutting any ABS because I'd love to have a printed version. I can't say it would be hard for me to model one up, but I have about two million other things I'd rather work on. Is anyone is willing to share?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm actually interested in this as well. I have put off cutting any ABS because I'd love to have a printed version. I can't say it would be hard for me to model one up, but I have about two million other things I'd rather work on. Is anyone is willing to share?
How can I get my grubby hands on one of these in matte? Are you selling them or sharing the file so I can print it?
Unfortunately even if you did hear back, he's not always very reliable with following up with what's promised, even after payment. Just heard another story from a vendor about getting stiffed after payment that had to harass him to get their money back.

If you have someone that can design/3d print a few or share the design so people can get them done on their own, it would be worthwhile for a lot of folks.

M² Mods.