How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phreak480

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I tested being able to use my phone while running apps on Android Auto (Waze for example) and all fully function without shutting anything down (truck in drive, just not moving anywhere). However, the phone locks itself after a short period of no use. There may be a way to change that but I believe Android Auto does that as intended.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Setup your android device to bluetooth pair with your vehicle and then setup smartlock to keep it unlocked when it is paired to the vehicle. This way when you get in and start up your vehicle it will pair and keep the device unlocked. When you reach your destination and the bluetooth connection is lost then it will return to your normal lock settings.

igear64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is my uaq upgrade on a 16 ram sport with no heated seat and single zone climate. I found the radio at a local LKQ for $650 cdn.(Lucky I think). Also bought the compass media hub for $150 cdn. And thanks to Mpgrimm2 advice and wiring adapter (&75 cdn after delivery, import fees, canadian taxes and whatever else). The radio was a 68331632AH Which worried me a bit but ended out being a AUQ. The total install took about half hour. Everything fired up perfectly and everything worked as it should. The radio is much more responsive than the ra3 and I still have sirius radio for the 1 year trial. This unit came out of a 18 Laramie 3500 loaded. Hope all other members upgrade work out as well as this one.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my radio forced an update yesterday. It was giving me some kind of message about update or schedule an appointment. I turned the truck off and went into a store, when I came back it said that it had updated. Anyone run into this?

On another note, I’ve been using a spare iPhone 6s in the center console hooked to CarPlay for Waze. It’s cellular data is turned off, and it connects via mobile hotspot when I get in the truck. Last night I noticed that when I open the back door, the splash screen comes on and then turns off. It was in the garage, so the keys were in the ignition and the iPhone was still plugged in in the center console. I’m thinking this stuff has something to do with that phone being plugged in. Gonna test that theory later today.

While trying to find some info on this, I saw a reset procedure and I wasn’t sure if it was for this radio or the old one.

Hold phonebutton(touch screen) and voice recognition button(steeringwheel) both at the same time for 30 seconds while vehicle is running. Turn caroff. Open driver door30 seconds. Close door. Turn caron.

not_too_shabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Here is my uaq upgrade on a 16 ram sport with no heated seat and single zone climate. I found the radio at a local LKQ for $650 cdn.(Lucky I think). Also bought the compass media hub for $150 cdn. And thanks to Mpgrimm2 advice and wiring adapter (&75 cdn after delivery, import fees, canadian taxes and whatever else). The radio was a 68331632AH Which worried me a bit but ended out being a AUQ. The total install took about half hour. Everything fired up perfectly and everything worked as it should. The radio is much more responsive than the ra3 and I still have sirius radio for the 1 year trial. This unit came out of a 18 Laramie 3500 loaded. Hope all other members upgrade work out as well as this one.

Did LKQ give you the security code or did you have to get that from the dealer or did you even need it?

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did LKQ give you the security code or did you have to get that from the dealer or did you even need it?

I got mine from the link above. I think it was 13 bucks. Way better than going thru the dealer. I’ve been able to get a code thru the dealer over the phone once. Every other time the criminals try to get you to come in.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Mpgrimm2 and @DeereGuy in the future I am planning on converting to the UAW or UAS 4c. If I upgrade from my current 2014 8.4 nav with 17.11.07 I will still keep the ability to use the cargo cam right?

Whenever I get enough OT to get the new radio this will all go down at one time.
I stated earlier Ill plan on buying the 911 bypass from you guys just in case. Any other harness I need (aside from the new usb module and the harness adapter from you guys for that? I did see infotainment sells the harness and module to keep the ability to use the on screen soft keys for heated seats, and steering wheel. Internal battle as I am not sure if thats worth it or not but I know my OCD will drive me crazy with whatever choice I make.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
DeereGuy or Rick's Ram will have to confirm on the heated seats in your 14 Ram requiring the adapter module from Infotainment, but yes the UAx radios currently can display both the cargo & backup camera (unless a future update disables it... Unlikely).

M² Mods.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DeereGuy or Rick's Ram will have to confirm on the heated seats in your 14 Ram requiring the adapter module from Infotainment, but yes the UAx radios currently can display both the cargo & backup camera (unless a future update disables it... Unlikely).

M² Mods.
Got it. Figured it would be but since its 17.11.07 or bust on the older units I would figure I'd ask.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh one last pop up question that I thought of. Since I have a Canadian spec truck and don't have OTA abilities for updates will the VIN for the radio (US spec) still provide a download link on the uconnect update site if it originally had OTA capabilities?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Oh one last pop up question that I thought of. Since I have a Canadian spec truck and don't have OTA abilities for updates will the VIN for the radio (US spec) still provide a download link on the uconnect update site if it originally had OTA capabilities?
If it is the source vehicle VIN it will work for downloads of firmware from their site that will work on your radio.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok that's all I was curious about. Never had a fca vehicle with a radio capable of OTA so wasn't sure if the website says "tough s***" if you are capable of OTA but try and download.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok that's all I was curious about. Never had a fca vehicle with a radio capable of OTA so wasn't sure if the website says "tough s***" if you are capable of OTA but try and download.
Actually, sometimes it will say "your vehicle is up to date" which technically translates to "tough ****" when you aren't actually up to date...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah...going through that right now with my current one. Two weeks ago I had 17.43.01 available, didnt download it because I am doing the cargo cam install in the next two weeks, decided to at least download it and keep it on file just in case and now it says up to date. -emoji with middle finger and stink eye-

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
D9112958-834B-40E5-8D87-088638C18A97.jpeg Note on 2018 Ram media hub. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 that came with RA3. The media hub was not car play compatible. I’m not sure what the part number is as I haven’t swapped it yet. Notice the icons above the USB ports are different than the 68328704AC.

Just wanted to let you know in case you are looking in salvage yards.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 143913 Note on 2018 Ram media hub. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 that came with RA3. The media hub was not car play compatible. I’m not sure what the part number is as I haven’t swapped it yet. Notice the icons above the USB ports are different than the 68328704AC.

Mike G will have to let us know.

I have the same hub but the side your cord is in is charge only. I will be doing the upgrade middle of next week and guess I will find out lol

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black 4 Quad Halogens with HID conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, 8.4 UAQ conversion(in progress)

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
View attachment 143913 Note on 2018 Ram media hub. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 that came with RA3. The media hub was not car play compatible. I’m not sure what the part number is as I haven’t swapped it yet. Notice the icons above the USB ports are different than the 68328704AC.

Just went out and looked at my 2018 and you are absolutely correct, it has a USB icon. So in upgrading to a UAS / UAQ radio does that mean we have to switch to the
68328704AC hub? And is it going to be plug and play or will we need an adapter harness?

Yes, Mike G will know the answer to this one!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just went out and looked at my 2018 and you are absolutely correct, it has a USB icon. So in upgrading to a UAS / UAQ radio does that mean we have to switch to the
68328704AC hub? And is it going to be plug and play or will we need an adapter harness?

Yes, Mike G will know the answer to this one!
Like Paul said, the right side on that hub is charge/pwr only. You need to plug the phone into the one on the left.

M² Mods.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like Paul said, the right side on that hub is charge/pwr only. You need to plug the phone into the one on the left.

M² Mods.

So this does work except you only have one usb to the radio instead of two. I thought that would be correct cause it works in mine for media now. Don’t see why it would change.

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black 4 Quad Halogens with HID conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, 8.4 UAQ conversion(in progress)