How to INSTALL LED Bed Rail Lighting on Your Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In this video I review how to install LED bed lighting on your truck! This is a step by step do it yourself video for those that want to tackle it on their own and shows what is involved.

With some patience and some simple planning you can wire and rig up your truck to have led lights in the bed fairly easy and turn on like stock from the remote or from the factory switch on the dashboard.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
One thing I did not see in the video, or at least I could not tell, did you test them with the engine running? Many people have had bed lights connected to the cargo lamp circuit work fine when the truck is off or in accessory and then had the can-bus shut off the circuit or trigger a bulb alert when they tried to use them with the engine running.

-K

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing I did not see in the video, or at least I could not tell, did you test them with the engine running? Many people have had bed lights connected to the cargo lamp circuit work fine when the truck is off or in accessory and then had the can-bus shut off the circuit or trigger a bulb alert when they tried to use them with the engine running.

-K

really?.....I was thinking of adding some strips to mine, you think I'll have issues?

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
Great video like all your others, I look forward to more of them

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
really?.....I was thinking of adding some strips to mine, you think I'll have issues?

I've seen a number of descriptions of issues with it, mostly on "the other forum". It seems to depend on how sensitive the can-bus for your year is and there's some speculation that if you have the 7" EVIC, it is more sensitive to bulb current draw than the 3". It one of the reasons I haven't hooked the bed lights I bought last year up yet. I would like them to work off the cargo light switch and with the keyfob, but I don't want to have trouble with the can-bus shutting the circuit off. I've thought of swapping to LED bulbs in the cargo light to reduce the draw, but mine was siliconed in by the dealer and I haven't managed to pry it off yet. I found another description of the wiring connectors that is for a '13, I'm hoping they will be the same on my '14 (the ones in the instructions that Boosted mentions in his video are for '09 - '12). I want to play with putting a load on the them and see what happens before I permanently attach the bed lights. If you've got a '17 like your profile says though, I think you may have a pigtail already back there for the OEM bed lights that you can tap into. Check out the comments on Boosted's video, someone listed a couple of wiring setups for various years.

-K

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck hasn't has any issues with the light function with the truck running or off. I do have LED bulbs in my cargo lights with the same mindset as you guys that this would reduce the load on the circuit. My truck is also a higher end sport with the 7" EVIC.

Need me to make another video to confirm? :D

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so you drove around or let idle for an extended period with the cargo/bed lights ON to verify no faults?

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had these installed for 2 weeks no issues guys... Not sure what all the fuss is about lol. If you guys need me to verify any specific tests I'd be more than happy to do it :33:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turn on the cargo lights and drive around to verify you don’t get a bulb out message

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Turn on the cargo lights and drive around to verify you don’t get a bulb out message

I'm confused as to why you would.

The thing about overloading the fuse is over thought. The mopar bed kit even shown in this video just taps directly into the cargo lamps wiring. Now I've been out of the game for a few years but the addition of lights never caused a bulb out issue it was the LED's and their lack of a load. Now LED's are coming with resistors built in to provide the same load as their halogen counterparts.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm confused as to why you would.

That kit and it's instructions are for an '09 - '12 truck. Newer trucks have more sensitive can-bus systems and monitor for overdraw due to shorts as well as underdraw due to bulb out. There have been a number of documented issues with the TIPM on newer trucks turning off the dome or cargo light circuit when additional draw is added to the circuit, but only while the truclk is running. It's a simple test though. I'm particularly interested in Boosted's results as I also have a '14 and I have a set of bed lights waiting to install.

-K

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My truck hasn't has any issues with the light function with the truck running or off. I do have LED bulbs in my cargo lights with the same mindset as you guys that this would reduce the load on the circuit. My truck is also a higher end sport with the 7" EVIC.

Need me to make another video to confirm? :D

No need for another video on my account, but a verbal confirmation that the circuit stays on with the truck running would be great. :)

-K

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good video.. except the part where you tapped into the circuit using a wire tap inside the door threshold.. don't ever use those if you live in the salt belt, especially in the threshold!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use mime all the time in oh dark thirty hours and wired them independant of oem wiring so they wont fade out/off with oem lights

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good video.. except the part where you tapped into the circuit using a wire tap inside the door threshold.. don't ever use those if you live in the salt belt, especially in the threshold!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I doubt you get salt under and through the plastic lining of your factory carpeting. Damn brother kick your boots off before you enter your truck or get some slush mats! :roflsquared:

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to install mine this weekend if the weather cooperates, hope I get them straight

I was trying for that too but too many hangy down thingies (lol) to accomplish my ocd straight line complex
Luckily my lights are flexible...lol

Screenshot_20180418-141832.jpg