How to INSTALL LED Bed Rail Lighting on Your Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I tried the same mic tuning led install today.

Tried tapping into red in trailer harness with no success. Couldn’t get power there.

Then tapped into what I originally wanted to do which is the white with tan wire in the driver side door sill. I still have original halogen bulbs in cargo light.

Leds will blink with opening car from key but won’t turn on when button by the dash is pressed. Dash light up and then makes a weird “you failed” noise. Probably the bcm you guys keep mentioning huh?

Any advise?

2017 Ram 1500 Hemi Express

Might be overloading the circuit with those halogens in the cargo lights. Where are you taking your ground source from? Try taking one halogen bulb out out of your cargo light and see what happens.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if it makes a difference but the wiring diagram Im reading shows multiple white/tan wires coming out of the BCM. One goes to the cargo lamp driver, another to the left rear tail light and another to right rear lighting fault sense

Maybe you tapped into the tail light one and not the cargo lamp one?

aldosterone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Might be overloading the circuit with those halogens in the cargo lights. Where are you taking your ground source from? Try taking one halogen bulb out out of your cargo light and see what happens.

Thanks Boosted! Took out one of the halogens and it works now. Was def loading the circuit too much. I’ll get some leds for the cargo light and reinstall everything. Really appreciate the help.

I used the ground chasis you showed in the video. Thanks again for making the vids. Really helps noobs like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribing to this for future reference. I'm planning on adding some orange strips to my bed.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would love to have a matching color of my trk in the bed on its own switch from the inside....Yes its a fast and furious kinda thing even though its not my thing but would look nice at night..Light up my box with blue light..

SteveS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A0973FF4-F83B-4EA9-803C-46E8F61A1C3D.jpeg 5555D8B7-CAB4-4B83-8546-57A2C43238E3.jpeg Went with the access light strip and switch. Tapped into taillight for power.

Ftballsman99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at doing this to my 04, just like how you have yours boosted, but I can’t figure out which wire it is to tap into. Don’t have a white/tan wire except way under the dash..anyone have an idea?

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I've seen a number of descriptions of issues with it, mostly on "the other forum". It seems to depend on how sensitive the can-bus for your year is and there's some speculation that if you have the 7" EVIC, it is more sensitive to bulb current draw than the 3". It one of the reasons I haven't hooked the bed lights I bought last year up yet. I would like them to work off the cargo light switch and with the keyfob, but I don't want to have trouble with the can-bus shutting the circuit off. I've thought of swapping to LED bulbs in the cargo light to reduce the draw, but mine was siliconed in by the dealer and I haven't managed to pry it off yet. I found another description of the wiring connectors that is for a '13, I'm hoping they will be the same on my '14 (the ones in the instructions that Boosted mentions in his video are for '09 - '12). I want to play with putting a load on the them and see what happens before I permanently attach the bed lights. If you've got a '17 like your profile says though, I think you may have a pigtail already back there for the OEM bed lights that you can tap into. Check out the comments on Boosted's video, someone listed a couple of wiring setups for various years.

-K
Anyone know where the wires might be if they are preinstalled and not used for the bed lights. I didn't see them in the slots for the factory bed lights in my 2017 SLT

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Anyone know where the wires might be if they are preinstalled and not used for the bed lights. I didn't see them in the slots for the factory bed lights in my 2017 SLT

Anyone look for the factory connection and use them for the bed lights? I have the slots for the factory bed lights, but haven't found any factory harness for them yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio