How To Install Mopar Power Tailgate Actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Found out on the interwebs for your enjoyment

How to install Mopar Power Tailgate Lock Actuator (P/N 82211668-AB) on your 2009 Dodge RAM 1500

DSC00005.JPG

1. Disconnect Negative battery cable

2. Remove access cover on tailgate (8 T25 Torx).
DSC00006.JPG

3. Disconnect the actuator rods at the handle.

DSC00007.JPG

4. Remove the 2 nuts (5/16” socket) while holding the handle. (handle may fall out if you don’t hold it)

5. Remove actuator and Handle from tailgate.
DSC00008.JPG

6. Remove the 2 bolts (5/16” socket) holding the lock cylinder and remove cylinder

7. Drill 2 5/32” holes in the corners at location shown
DSC00009.JPG

8. Rivet the small bracket with the supplied rivets’ as shown.
DSC00010.JPG

9. Mount the power lock actuator to the supplied bracket with the supplied T20 Torx bolts.
DSC00013.JPG

10. Now for the tricky part. Put the lock cylinder in the handle but do not bolt it in. insert the power lock actuator rod into the bracket that was riveted on the lock actuator arm. Then insert then handle into the tail gate and then the power actuator/actuator . Note that the power lock actuator bracket will go over the lock cylinder and one of the studs in the handle.
DSC00014.JPG

DSC00016.JPG

11. Loosely put the 2 nuts that hold the handle to the actuator.

12. Install the 2 bolts that hold the lock cylinder .
DSC00017.JPG

13. Tighten the 2 nuts holding the handle and re-attach the actuator rods.
DSC00018.JPG

14. Plug the actuator (tailgate) harness into the actuator and clip it inside the tailgate. See instructions for the 2 locations as the flash is broken on my camera. LOL

15. Connect the jumper harness to the tailgate harness. Route the harness from the rear to the driver’s side fender and to the TIPM. I secured mine near the receiver so I have easy access to unplug it if I need to remove the tail gate. I routed the harness along the frame keeping it away from exhaust and suspension components. Tie-wrapped it pretty much the whole way to the brake lines.
DSC00023.JPG

DSC00024.JPG

16. Remove cover TIPM. Remove the B+ terminal nut (green arrow) from the TIPM and remove the B+ cable. Release the 5 tabs holding the TIPM to the battery tray, lift it out and turn upside down.
DSC00025.JPG

18. Remove the connector C5 (Letter E) pulling straight out. Then remove the black cover.
DSC00026.JPG

19. Cut the jumper harness to length leaving enough to go below the TIPM when its reinstalled.

20. Find the Tan/Light Blue (cavity 18) and Tan/Dark Blue (Cavity 22) wires and cut them about half way between the plug and where they enter the harness.
DSC00027.JPG

21. There are connectors supplied with the kit but I did not use them as I don’t have the proper crimp tool for the clips. I stripped all the wires, then Tinned all the wires. Place a 1.25” strip of shrink tube over one of the TN/LB wires & solder the TN/LB wires back together along with the Red wire from Jumper Harness. Place a 1.25” strip of shrink tube over one of the TN/DB wires & solder the TN/DB wires back together along with the Black wire from Jumper Harness. Instructions say White/Pink & Black/Dark Blue for the jumper harness but the wires in my kit were red & black.

22. Slide the shrink tube over the soldered parts and temporarily plug the C5 connector back in, install the B+ cable and nut and connect the negative battery cable. Lock/Unlock the vehicle to verify the wires are connected correctly. (if not, reverse the Red, black wires.

23. Disconnect negative battery cable, B+ nut and cable, disconnect the C5 plug again.. Heat the shrink tube until you see the glue coming out.
DSC00028.JPG

24. Reinstall the black cover for the C5 connector and plug it back it in.
25. Reinstall TIPM, B+ Cable/Nut, tailgate access cover and negative battery cable.
26. Remove tailgate key from Keychain and enjoy :smileup:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
that's cool...didn't know mopar made a kit. I guess if you have a keyed tailgate handle you would have to replace that too?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
This is the thing the parts department at the dealership gave me that I didn't want. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Locks your tail gate when you lock your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I like these........but I had an aftermarket one on my 08. When it goes out........good luck getting in when you have a tonneau!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I had the aftermarket one on my 05..... I was lucky to never have an issue with it

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
speaking of lowering, i miss the tailgate damper i had on the 05

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
with how much lighter the tailgates are on the 4th gens i bet it goes down real slow with the damper

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Wow that was a awesome write up thanks for sharing. I now want one. That would be awesome for when I get my camper and I am sleeping in the back of the truck.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have one and I love it, goes great with a bed cover. Never have to worry about someone jacking your **** out of the bed (Unless they REALLY want in).

I like these........but I had an aftermarket one on my 08. When it goes out........good luck getting in when you have a tonneau!

No worries there, you would still have the key hole to manually unlock the tailgate.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I have one and I love it, goes great with a bed cover. Never have to worry about someone jacking your **** out of the bed (Unless they REALLY want in).

No worries there, you would still have the key hole to manually unlock the tailgate.

oh good point...that makes this so much more tempting once i have a bak-flip

nucklehead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saved this page for future reference, then I bought one of these kits and came bake to this page, only to find out that someone had stole your pictures. :):) Could you repost please.
Thank you

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I saved this page for future reference, then I bought one of these kits and came bake to this page, only to find out that someone had stole your pictures. :):) Could you repost please.
Thank you

We are looking into it

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
The site where the images were hosted at has shut down it looks like. Its still a useable step by step though, or you could submit your own install with pics and we can delete this one.