How to install Vararam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dude that's an awesome write up! Vararam should pay you for that to replace their ****** pictures and directions. Seriously, send it them...

Hey David,
I thought you sold your gorgeous Ram and bought a Jeep? Did you decide to keep that beautifully executed Ram, or are you already regretting letting her go? LOL! And, I wanted to ask you how much did your custom valve/coil cover cost, if you don't mind me asking.

john94si

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have borrowed the text from Post #1 and have added some annotations from my experience and some pictures from my install.

***Artwork on the Vararam filter lid was done by Tat2hemi, so if you like it, he's your guy***

•Step ONE: Remove the OEM air temp sensor by squeezing and pulling on the wiring harness.

nHOA8Lx.jpg

•STEP TWO: Twist off the oil cap- This will allow you to remove the OEM engine cover. Simply lift up and the cover will come off. Don’t forget to put the oil cap back on after removing the cover.

* on my 2014, I did not need to remove the oil cap to remove the engine cover. Simply lift up and towards the front and it came right out* *Also, I performed this after steps 3 and 4*

C0M0bvS.jpg

•STEP THREE: Remove OEM intake hose using flat head screwdriver

wxeykGe.jpg

•STEP FOUR: Remove the OEM air box- just pull up this will release with a good strong pull straight up.

jQ95Ccg.jpg

*I broke one of my OEM air box tabs by pulling up too strong on this, so be careful*

f6R7MjW.jpg

•STEP FIVE: Remove the front shroud cover. Using your flat head , pry these round plastic push clips "UP". They will release with a stiff pull. Remove this OEM foam cover out of your way. (Optional) You may choose to cut out the center section at a later time , so that it may be reinstalled to give a more OEM look.

N0UiQNV.jpg

•STEP SIX: Move the wiring harness in front of the horn- you will need to clip or pull the wire holders as well as remove the horn bracket screws (10MM) Once the harness is put in front of the horn you will re-attach the horn assembly. This frees up the restriction caused by the harness.

*I did not need to do this for my 2014 so no pictures of this to share. *

•STEP SEVEN: Assembling the VR system. The easiest way to do this is to, attach the front wing to the upper plenum outside of the truck on a nice flat surface, like a kitchen table or workbench.

*I forgot to take pictures of this as well.*

•STEP EIGHT: Install the air temp sensor at this time, push and twist, You may need to use some lube like W/D You will need your 10mm socket wrench and a screwdriver Install the screws and lock nuts as shown here.

* no pictures of this either, I pushed my IAT in until the rubber o-ring was on the inside of the red tube that mounts on the throttle body. It was a perfect fit. Also be sure that you have your IAT in the correct direction, mine had a little lock pin that needed to be pointed straight up to allow air to flow through the sensor correctly.*

•STEP NINE: You are now ready to place the system on the truck as one whole unit.

* I did this after step 10, because once this thing is in place there isn't a lot of room to work on the PCV.*

• STEP TEN: Remove the short 45 deg section of the PCV line, this will become your new PCV line. using this shorter end Simply reinstall this back on to the valve cover and push the chrome breather into the short 45 deg OEM hose, you can
rotate the hose in any position desired

*the PCV line is the the black hose that has black foam cushioning around it. In my picture below it starts just behind the oil cap and goes to the OEM air box. You remove that main length of hose and the short 45 degree piece is sticking up behind the oil cap*

C0M0bvS.jpg

You can see the shiny chrome breather pretty good in this picture

YGlKNG1.jpg

• BONUS STEP 1: Cut a 2" x 2" section out of the upper left of the air dam to improve fitment.

yXIyHUt.jpg

• BONUS STEP 2: Trim the shroud so that it can be reinstalled for OEM look. In my picture I did not cut enough away and ended up going about 1 inch further into the shroud to allow more air. I used a cheap dremel with a plastic cutting disc.

Xi6I0oh.jpg

FINISHED INSTALL PICS

iOA9f1x.jpg

387XABw.jpg

pile of leftover OEM parts

M5H5MOW.jpg

TEST MPG Control Course (30 mile roundtrip to my office, low traffic because weekend, tested right before the install)

vXSeLfM.jpg

TEST MPG Vararam Installed (30 mile roundtrip to my office, low traffic because weekend, tested after 2 hours off batter was complete)

JKtaHIC.jpg

The whole install was pretty quick 40 minutes tops. I unhooked my battery before I started the install so that I wouldn't have to wait as long for the computer to reset. I had check engine light on for the rest of the day. I pulled everything apart to double check, eventually gave up and said I'd worry about it the next day and take to O'Reilly's to read codes, but that night the CEL was gone on it's own.

So the 2012 kit does work on the 2014?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
So the 2012 kit does work on the 2014?

No it does not. The 2013+ kits use a longer coupler and different front wing that goes in front of the radiator.

john94si

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No it does not. The 2013+ kits use a longer coupler and different front wing that goes in front of the radiator.

Moe do you sell them? if so how much for the 2014?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Moe do you sell them? if so how much for the 2014?

Yes, we have about 30 kits in stock. Check out the link below.

http://www.moes-performance.com/Vararam_Air_Grabber_Intake_2009_16_Dodge_Ram_5_7L_p/vr-hemi-4g.htm