How to install Vararam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lancat30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure if I did something wrong. I did receive an instruction sheet with the kit, but the photos were a bit grainy and difficult to see detail.

Far as I can tell I connected the pieces right. There are a couple ways you can secure the front air dam.

There are two things that bother me, so I'm thinking I made a bonehead mistake somehow:

1. The front air dam really is binding up and tight against the front, down by the horn. Like it's really forced in there, plus it presses hard against (I'm very mechanically green here fellas) the cooling lines on the left?

2. It makes my horn sound stupid. I removed the horn bracket to install, as per the instructions, then the reinstall was a b%$@! because I had to push hard against the vararam air dam to screw it back in.

Some things just don't seem right. Almost like I have that air dam backwards. But see my pic, it doesn't look like it compared to others?!

Attachments

• photo_vararam_small.jpg
    photo_vararam_small.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 204

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
With the active grill shutters on the new trucks, would it hinder the vararam's ability to perform? trying to decide between this and an S&B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the active grill shutters on the new trucks, would it hinder the vararam's ability to perform? trying to decide between this and an S&B

No, during WOT and not at cruising speed - the shutters are open.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
No, during WOT and not at cruising speed - the shutters are open.

One my my main reasons for getting one was the +1-2 mpg. Do you think that I'd lose that with the shutters closed?

badvik

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
guys, i need help. A couple of days ago I've installed a VR on the truck. Before this one VR I had an AirAid CAI which was connected to the TB through special reducer coupler. As I mounted the AIrAid out I've put the red resin connector of VR to that coupler, because this red pipe sticks diameter was much larger than TB diameter and with AirAid coupler it worked perfectly. Now I've got a customer for AirAid and of course I have to sell it with that damn but very convinient coupler. The question is how do you have connected the VR and namely its red pipe to the TB - any couplers or just tightened with a clamp which was in a package? I have no idea of how much is it needed to be tighten because that red pipe stick seems to be tooo large.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure if I did something wrong. I did receive an instruction sheet with the kit, but the photos were a bit grainy and difficult to see detail.

Far as I can tell I connected the pieces right. There are a couple ways you can secure the front air dam.

There are two things that bother me, so I'm thinking I made a bonehead mistake somehow:

1. The front air dam really is binding up and tight against the front, down by the horn. Like it's really forced in there, plus it presses hard against (I'm very mechanically green here fellas) the cooling lines on the left?

2. It makes my horn sound stupid. I removed the horn bracket to install, as per the instructions, then the reinstall was a b%$@! because I had to push hard against the vararam air dam to screw it back in.

Some things just don't seem right. Almost like I have that air dam backwards. But see my pic, it doesn't look like it compared to others?!

I had/have the exact same issue. As far as I can tell your install is good. What did you do with horn cables?

I took another look at my mine today:

I think cutting the air dam back a bit by the horn bracket might help... Though it would reduce the amount of air coming in from the grill (cuz the dam would bend back up toward the frame).

Another thing that concerned me was how loose the whole thing this... Does anybody else think that a bracket or two should come with them to stabilize them.
It doesn't seem sufficient to just have that big ass thing perched on the TB.

The last thing I noticed is that the hood has been pressing the front down on the radiator and melted little grooves into the insulation on the underside.

Last edited:

badvik

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey, guys, I just found after some weeks of using that its filter element is not quite tight comes to under panel, especially when I close the hood and it also can be deformed underneath:
IMAG0864.jpg

Any thoughts how to make it sealed? I can't tighten the nuts any more as the construction itself is not so robust and I really anxious about getting of too much dust inside

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi

You need to relocate the wires behind the horn bracket to be in-front of the horn bracket. That's the whole reason for taking the bracket off is to move those wires out of the way.

One my my main reasons for getting one was the +1-2 mpg. Do you think that I'd lose that with the shutters closed?

I have seen no MPG increase, but also no decrease. I have seen an increase in acceleration performance though. I will take that, especially since it didn't cost me any MPG. Though now on 35's MPG is out the window, lol.

hey, guys, I just found after some weeks of using that its filter element is not quite tight comes to under panel, especially when I close the hood and it also can be deformed underneath:

Any thoughts how to make it sealed? I can't tighten the nuts any more as the construction itself is not so robust and I really anxious about getting of too much dust inside

Check this video out. It is extremely tight getting that filter in and hopefully this will help you.

[YT]TuXIP8C02iU[/YT]

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
You need to relocate the wires behind the horn bracket to be in-front of the horn bracket. That's the whole reason for taking the bracket off is to move those wires out of the way.

I have seen no MPG increase, but also no decrease. I have seen an increase in acceleration performance though. I will take that, especially since it didn't cost me any MPG. Though now on 35's MPG is out the window, lol.

Check this video out. It is extremely tight getting that filter in and hopefully this will help you.

[YT]TuXIP8C02iU[/YT]

How many mpg did you lose? Lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How many mpg did you lose? Lol

I didn't lose any with the Vararam, it stayed about the same. But when I went to 35's it looks like I lost about 2 - 2.5mpg. Not overly concerned with it or I wouldn't have done it. I knew going in that 35's would knock my mpg down.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I didn't lose any with the Vararam, it stayed about the same. But when I went to 35's it looks like I lost about 2 - 2.5mpg. Not overly concerned with it or I wouldn't have done it. I knew going in that 35's would knock my mpg down.

Ohh well that's not too bad eh? I thought you were going to say something like it cut it in half! Lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

badvik

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

[YT]TuXIP8C02iU[/YT]

Thks, Cruizer. I will disassembly it tomorrow and check one more time. Honestly, I think the problem is that the construction seats to high (the hood is closed relative hard and I've many scratches on the heat guard inside the hood) and it simple deforms the construction and the element comes out. So I have to seat it again or cut the red pipe stick connecting the grabber to the TB. But still will try to assembly it once again on the table.

p.s. by the way, do you know the part number of Green Filter element used here? I'd like to order some cleaning kits and element for spare too in order to save some money and time, just in case, in delivery to Russia.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thks, Cruizer. I will disassembly it tomorrow and check one more time. Honestly, I think the problem is that the construction seats to high (the hood is closed relative hard and I've many scratches on the heat guard inside the hood) and it simple deforms the construction and the element comes out. So I have to seat it again or cut the red pipe stick connecting the grabber to the TB. But still will try to assembly it once again on the table.

p.s. by the way, do you know the part number of Green Filter element used here? I'd like to order some cleaning kits and element for spare too in order to save some money and time, just in case, in delivery to Russia.

Don't know a part number but I know Moe's can get the cleaning kit for you. Check with them.

My hood closes firm as well, it's supposed to so it can seal the Vararam to the hood and isolate the cold air from engine heat. Don't know what you're getting scratches on though. Do you have any pics of the scratches? Be curious what's causing that. I haven't noticed any on mine.

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
just watched the video.
my setup must be one of the older ones. because my screws that hold the filter down are a different variation.
i have long screws (*with wing nuts on the top) that screw down thru the filter to the base. i dont have screws mounted in the base that you mount the filter ON.
anyone else have something similar. granted i bought mine when they were first released and could be the reason. but after just watching that filter video, i want to see if i missed something.
thanks

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed mine and then I uninstalled it because a couple things troubled me.

It uses a dam system that picks up air flow from the front grill, through the Ram's active shutter system. There are 6 louvers, or shutters, and the dam only extended over the top two.

It may be designed that way, with the rest of the air flow through the other 4 lower louvers for the radiator, but with the 3" body lift I just wasn't sure it was lining up the way it's supposed to (yes, I did use a 3" longer intake hose).

Also, the Ram's active shutter system will almost certainly restrict air flow from getting to the intake when it closes. The Vararam dam is behind the shutters, and the shutter's are designed to close to improve aerodynamics until the engine reaches a certain temp and then it opens to cool the engine.

Doesn't seem right having this thing sitting behind closed shutters, and then only picking up air flow from 2 of the 6 shutters when they are open.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey, so I hate to be the one to revive an old post. But any chance we can get the broken images fixed in this thread? I mean it is a sticky.
Bringing this post back up with some hope of good pictures. Should be installing one next week and need some instructions (well some with pictures) before diving in.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I looked for an updated Youtube video and couldn't find one. Wish I had taken some pics when I did mine.

It's not really difficult. If you have even a little mechanical know how, you'll do fine with the instructions that come with it.