How to modify Aftermarket Speakers to work with your Infinity System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For reference, I did this on my 99 Ram 1500 5.9 extended cab.

Also, this is for the door speakers only, as the rear are pretty straight forward.

First, you wanna grab you tools. First you need to put your speaker face down, and decide where you want to mount the amp (which you need to remove from the stock speaker, its torx :)). The stock setup is what you should go with, where the amp is opposite the leads on the new speaker. Line it up exactly where you want it, and use a long pick to scratch in a circular motion through the mounting hole on the amp.

Then remove the amp and use a punch or spring punch to mark the center of the hole. (This makes it easier to drill).

Attachments

• Tools Required.jpg
    Tools Required.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 206
OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What it looks like

Here are pictures of the parts you should be looking at.

The aftermarket speakers arnt the only thing you need to mod either, depending on how you choose to attach the amp. You have a few options.

One is to use the stock hardware, and find a nut that fits on the back side. I don't like this method, as it requires a bit more drilling and you run the risk of puncturing the cone.

Method 2 is what I chose. Use a self tapping screw. Easy right? well only if you chose it from the start. If your a little slow before you can realize to do this, youll already have drilled the holes too big to use smaller Screws that fit in the stock holes on the amp.

Attachments

• Stock Speakers with amp removed.jpg
    Stock Speakers with amp removed.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 589
  • New Speakers.jpg
    New Speakers.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 314
OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you messed up!

Picture 1 is what it looks like when you drill out the hole a little to big.

So, if your like my and need to use the next size up self tapping screw (I don't remember the size), youll need to mod the amp a little to get the head of the screw in there.

I drilled the hole to 15/32, and it was just perfect(picture 2).

**IMPORTANT NOTE WHEN DRILLING AFTERMARKET SPEAKER**
A couple ways to protect your speaker.
1-Put a rubber glove on the magnet so that you can easily get any metal shavings off
2-Put a small rag as a lining between your drill and the cone. It catches shavings and if you drill a tad far it'll give you that split second till you drill right through the cone.

Attachments

• After holes drilled.jpg
    After holes drilled.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 15-32nds drillout.jpg
    15-32nds drillout.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 189
OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Screw it !

Now your ready to put the amp on, let the screws fall in the holes, and let her rip. I used an electric drill to drive the screws in SLOWLY. Take them down a bit at a time to go down even. Snug um up, and you should have an OEM lookin aftermarket speaker ready to go back in your door.

This took me about an hour, just making sure everything was perfect and redoing some work :( However I tested it in the door, and the speakers sound phenomenal.

No hacking the harness required. No drilling into the door. Straight up professional looking so that you OCD ******** can sleep at night.

Finished product.jpg

zoomzu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
Nice write up. Would never have thought of that. My first truck I installed an aftermarket deck and bypassed the factory harness for the front. With the new truck I think I'll keep the factory deck. I like the controls on the steering wheel. But with this new found info, I'm going to put in the aftermarket speakers. :happy107:

swungspeedz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you wire it up with the after market one. Di you just add the red and black and mount the amp and Thats It?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

comedyman23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2L 318
Nice write up. I have the infinity system and still have the stock speakers but i do have an aftermarket head-unit. I've been thinking about doing the speakers but I wasn't sure if having the infinity system would pose any problems. But you cleared that all up for me. Thanks for the post!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel
Engine
Nice! im new to the infinity system and this will come in handy

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel so how do I know if I have infinity system or not ?[emoji4] Thank you ![emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel
Engine
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel so how do I know if I have infinity system or not ?[emoji4] Thank you ![emoji4]

I don’t have it in my truck [emoji53]

David McAndrews

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thanks for the write up... this may come in handy soon as I seem to have blown my driver's side door original infinity speaker.

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank You Chief115 ! It's been a spell since you posted this, but I just did it and it worked great! I was just wandering why the drivers side speaker would blow out as it did in mine as well. I had assumed the problem wasn't the speaker itself but rather the wiring as it has to flex every time the drivers door is opened which is usually a lot more than the passengers side. In prior vehicles that I owned, it was always a broken wire! I thank you again for an excellent and creative fix for it! Now, if I could just stop this ringing in my ears, LoL!
:happy160: