How to modify oem switch panels to use the dead buttons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I started this journey to figure out a way to use a factory button to mute my radar detector without velcro mounting a direct wire or having to cut drill or bastardize my truck in order to do so. I wanted a stealthy factory look. I have searched many of threads and every this i ran across was for buying the aux switch panel but all said it can not be modified and if you already have a switch panel installled you outta luck. Well I didnt like those options and sure as hell didnt like the fact that dodge left dead switchs in the strips that can no be used.
Please keep in mind that this does not modify the switch to use the exisiting circuitry.

IMG_20120220_122224_zps5c2a59cc.jpg

the switch I got from radio shack here is a pic of what i used. I went thru all of their switchs until I found one that would fit. they do come 2 to a pack

20141109_165232_zpsfce8c5c1.jpg

I didnt plan on doing this write up until after I got started so you must remove center dash panel/console cover etc on your own.

After unpluging the wire harness's remove the 4 phillips screws that hold the switch panel in

For my purpose I am using the 1st button on the left for the top row of switchs, On mine it is next to the Tow/haul button

remove the back housing by pressing the tabs along the edges and them seperate the board and rubber button strip and set aside

Step 1 . Remove the dead switch cover by using a small angled or curved pick. Place the pick under the edge of the button edge and slighty lift/pry until you get the hole above the lock tab. Do this for both sides and the cover will slide off.

20141109_161211_zpsbda969c6.jpg

Step 2 . using a razor blad or exacto knife remove these tabs

20141109_161444-Copy_zps353615c6.jpg

and these edges in green inside the button cap

111_zps3e205bcd.jpg

replace the button and make sure it moves up and down freely if not remove and make sure the raised edges are now smooth

Step 3 . remove plastic cap on the new button from radio shack exsposing the stem, using razor or side cutters remove a little less that half of the smaller portion of the the top of the stem. I suggest you place the new switch down in the housing like in the first picture and remove small increments of the stem until you you can place the oem switch cap on and it depress's and returns to the top position on its own. If you look at picture 1 and compare it to picture 2 below you can see how much i removed which is about 40-45 %. also just plact the new switch in and firmly seat it the tabs in the houseing will hold the switch in place just fine.

20141109_161348_zpse10aa608.jpg

20141109_1641282_zpsb64017a2.jpg

step 4
once you have the new switch moving freely remove the new switch and solder your wires to the 2 post on the bottom of the new switch , ( I used ethernet wire for mine as it was the same gauge as what the radar detector uses and since it is only reading resistance to activate the mute button it was fine for my application ) I folded the post to the sides to allow more room inside the housing. once this is done slide the new switch into the housing and place the oem button back on the housing and it should press and release back to the top. you can verify this by placing a volt meter in the ohm position and testing the leads, it should read as a short.

step 5
remove the 2 black conducters from the rubber button strip (tripple check you are removing the ones for the buton section you are working on, if you place the rubber strip over the board it should line up with the open holes over the leds and the board , the board also has several pins the slide thru the connector portion of the housing and the housing has a notch that will only allow it to go together one way.

20141109_1725202_zps7f1a20d4.jpg

step 6
There is a pre drilled hole in the rubber strip that lines up with another hole on the board, place your wires thru here, then while holding the wires slowly slide the rubber strip & circuit board together and slowly slide it into the front housing that holds the buttons

20141109_1728092_zps94ce4c17.jpg

Step 7
If you tilt the back houseing slighty you will see an indention the size of a 1/8 hole if you flip i over there is tab/post oppisite of it on the other side. this should also line up with the whole on the circuit board that you ran the wires thru . using a 1/8 drill bit from the topside where you see the indention drill a hole on this indentention,

20141109_173502_zpsf8150a9c.jpg

20141109_1736352_zps3ce1de55.jpg

Next slide your wires thru this hole in the back of houseing and carfully reasemble the switch assembly

20141109_173743_zps8ab9c039.jpg

next I reinstalled the switch assembly back into the dash bezel and using the velcro that came with the smart cord attached it to the back of the temp control housing below the switch assembly I just reinstalled.

20141109_1819072_zpsed7ac4cd.jpg

At this point you can wire the fused lead and ground of the smart cord to the location of your liking, I myself tapped into the 12volt ciggerete lighter in the console for the hot and grounded it to the ground screw near the firewall off to the right. I then ran the cable under the dash and up the driver side pillar and stuffed it under the headliner until I got to the mirror. I used the blend mount to install my radar detector to the mirror. The install is super clean and I now have a factory button to control the mute function. now to figure out what to use the remaining dead buttons for.

20141110_170607_zps829dce68.jpg

If you feel I left something out feel free to message me and ill try to help the best i can

murraygc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great write up! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cormier3288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7-liter HEMI
So if im understandinproperly...The buton you installed are behind the factory empty spaces? So you still have the clean look, and push the empty space?

rankhornjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is the switch mounted behind the button?

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going to follow this as I plan on doing some lights and maybe an auxiliary air horn this coming summer.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
How is the switch mounted behind the button?

From the looks of that switch, it's one that comes with a ring that fits into the threads on the base, after you poke the button itself through the hole.

Crowbarr_1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am wanting to do this but i have a quistion so idk . What keep the switch button from falling off cause a push button like this has a locking catch so it dosent fall off i really dont know how to explain this do you know what im talking about ? Ok after you do this mod can you grab the oem switch button and pull it off or is it stuck on there like the other ones next to it

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
was thinking the same thing, or having the button sit proud or recessed compared to the other buttons.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Great report. Thank for posting it.

OP
OP
C

cgworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am wanting to do this but i have a quistion so idk . What keep the switch button from falling off cause a push button like this has a locking catch so it dosent fall off i really dont know how to explain this do you know what im talking about ? Ok after you do this mod can you grab the oem switch button and pull it off or is it stuck on there like the other ones next to it

it still uses the factory catch, the button performs and acts just like factory, you can not pull it off . you dont file down or remove the catch just the tabs on the end that keep it from being pressed

Daffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure would appreciate pictures with appropriate instruction if you ever have to work on your switch again so I can understand exctaly how you managed to do this mod
regards
Daffy

OP
OP
C

cgworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sure would appreciate pictures with appropriate instruction if you ever have to work on your switch again so I can understand exctaly how you managed to do this mod
regards
Daffy

Sure thing, Would you like that in crayon or paint by number?

And Since i figured it out and you didnt why not post an "appropriate" Question and maybe you will recieve an "appropriate" answer..

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sure thing, Would you like that in crayon or paint by number?

And Since i figured it out and you didnt why not post an "appropriate" Question and maybe you will recieve an "appropriate" answer..

I know it's old but damn that's pretty funny haha. :crazy: