How to on after market sub?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, need a how to for an after market under the seat sub with amp. No I never had the Mopar one installed so this will be a full install.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing?

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Look around a little. There's prolly a thousand threads about this subject :)

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
What is your budget? JL Steathhbox is awesome. Love the sound, custom fit and I still have use under the seat.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Budget?
Single Sub on one side or dual subs?
What type of music do your listen to?
Retain Storage or function > form?
you have a lot of options which is fun

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'd like some info on how you actually hook an amp into the stock system. I've seen lots of posts talking about adding one when changing to an aftermarket system, but not on the actual physical hookup to a stock head unit.

-K

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd like some info on how you actually hook an amp into the stock system. I've seen lots of posts talking about adding one when changing to an aftermarket system, but not on the actual physical hookup to a stock head unit.

-K

as I understand it...and I'm in the process of adding dual 10" subs...if you get an amp that can do LINE in from speakers to the RCA on the amp (such as the one I ordered Pioneer GM-D6901) you just tap into the speaker wires behind the radio...attach to the provided wires leading to RCA plugs that come with the amp...and that's it. I'll let you know if it goes that easy or not...if not then ya you need a line out converter. They start around $25.00 on Crutchfield.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
depends if you have the Alpine System or the OEM 6-speaker setup.

That's very true. if he has the Alpine system in his truck he will need an LC2i or other LOC for sure. I have the basic 6 speaker non amplified stereo so I should be good to go with speaker level inputs to the rca....I hope. we will see

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

-K

This

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I do not have the Alpine system. I'm planning one fox acoustics dual 12" under rear seat sub box or the Q bomb duel 12" under seat. Was looking at the alpine type R subs. Already ordered the kicker Cs upgrades for speakers. So an LOC and a wire to the battery? This sounds too easy

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I do not have the Alpine system. I'm planning one fox acoustics dual 12" under rear seat sub box or the Q bomb duel 12" under seat. Was looking at the alpine type R subs. Already ordered the kicker Cs upgrades for speakers. So an LOC and a wire to the battery? This sounds too easy

You'll need an amp ground and remote wire most likely as well (the latter depending on your amp). But generally speaking, that's it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice! Thinking now of the 10s... The 12s look like it'll be over kill

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice! Thinking now of the 10s... The 12s look like it'll be over kill

Are you planning to put an amp on the Kicker speakers or just use the power from the factory head unit? If you are not amping them, either the 10s or the 12s will completely overpower everything. Unless all you ever listen to is Rap or Hip Hop (then it's all about that bass!), you'll probably want to consider either amping the rest or going with a single sub.

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thinking about a 5 channel amp and amping the speakers and subs

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seeing how its only 1 channel at 2ohms maybe 1 12" may be better because I wouldn't want to merge 2 and run it at 1 ohm... This way there should be plenty of power... Am I doing my research correctly or did I confuse myself?

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
If you plan on going under the rear seats with the amp go with a small unit, not a ton of room

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seeing how its only 1 channel at 2ohms maybe 1 12" may be better because I wouldn't want to merge 2 and run it at 1 ohm... This way there should be plenty of power... Am I doing my research correctly or did I confuse myself?

As long as the subs are wired together correctly inside the box, the amp won't care how many you are using. The amp would only see a single connection to the box. As long as you can make the final load at the box 2 ohms, it should be fine.

I don't have any experience with Rockville but my gut feeling is that it's not a very good brand. That's just way too cheap for a high power five channel amp.

I see that you are looking at Alpine Type R subs, those are good quality. There are a ton of good mid-level amp makers around that I'm not very familiar with (my amps are more at the high end). Keeping with your one amp system design, a solid choice would be an Alpine like this one https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/x-a90v/.