How To Save Your Radiators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you attach it on?

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

I laid the gutter screen over the cutouts (once the honeycomb was removed) and cut about a half inch bigger than the opening. Made sure the screen overlapped the stock tabs that lock in the honeycomb, and then used some snips to create a small opening in the screen to go around the tabs.
Once I got the shape down, rattle can it whatever color you want.
When it's all dry, lay it out on the grille and use zip ties to secure. I used quite a bit of zip ties to make sure I didn't have to do it more than once and held up pretty good. At the front you can see any of the zip ties and looks pretty clean

Sent via telepathy

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I laid the gutter screen over the cutouts (once the honeycomb was removed) and cut about a half inch bigger than the opening. Made sure the screen overlapped the stock tabs that lock in the honeycomb, and then used some snips to create a small opening in the screen to go around the tabs.
Once I got the shape down, rattle can it whatever color you want.
When it's all dry, lay it out on the grille and use zip ties to secure. I used quite a bit of zip ties to make sure I didn't have to do it more than once and held up pretty good. At the front you can see any of the zip ties and looks pretty clean

Sent via telepathy
Initially i was thinking about kéeping my current grill but perhaps adding a bug screen similar to those used in patio outdoor lanai on thr inside. But got disillusioned in case it came off and got tangled inside enginr bay area etc

You wouldn't happen to have the link for that gutter mesh from home depot would you? They offer a few types.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Initially i was thinking about kéeping my current grill but perhaps adding a bug screen similar to those used in patio outdoor lanai on thr inside. But got disillusioned in case it came off and got tangled inside enginr bay area etc

Mine is REALLY secure. We gravel the roads up here in the winter. "Alaska Windshield" means your windshield is cracked and webbed, and most people don't fix it because it'll just happen again. So, this thing has taken many rocks and while it has needed one readjustment since it was bowed in, it is not going anywhere.
Obviously, don't do it if you are concerned since it's not worth the stress, but I have absolute confidence in the screen as I do in the honeycomb

Sent via telepathy

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is REALLY secure. We gravel the roads up here in the winter. "Alaska Windshield" means your windshield is cracked and webbed, and most people don't fix it because it'll just happen again. So, this thing has taken many rocks and while it has needed one readjustment since it was bowed in, it is not going anywhere.
Obviously, don't do it if you are concerned since it's not worth the stress, but I have absolute confidence in the screen as I do in the honeycomb

Sent via telepathy
On the contrary, with it coming of and being tangled in engine bay was​ the fabric screen mesh i was originally considering. hence why i believe the more sturdier gutter mesh version is more suited now.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the contrary, with it coming of and being tangled in engine bay was​ the fabric screen mesh i was originally considering. hence why i believe the more sturdier gutter mesh version is more suited now.

Ha! And that's why we never drink and reply. Lol
My bad man, thought you were headed in the other direction and didn't want to give the wrong impression. I am really happy with the screen man, and I know it's cosmetic but to be able to change the color in under 30 mins is a sweet perk

Sent via telepathy

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
e3d918a049456690c36cce98f1605cc8.jpg
It's dull right now compared to when I just sprayed it last year though. The color will fade eventually but in the summers we have just about 24 hour sun so it's accelerated. This pic was about a week after I first did it

Sent via telepathy

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Any thoughts on why this mod is cautioned against in the manual?

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seriously, don't drink and reply lol.... didn't see you asked for the link!
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-H...nged-Gutter-Guard-Unpainted-85280BX/100002884
I just snapped off the hinges. They were nearly a perfect fit height wise and pretty much just needed to be cut shorter and cutouts for tabs

Sent via telepathy
Cheers appreciate it . I was looking at a spare chrome grill sitting in thr garage , i see those tabs behind it that you were referring to. Horizontal type tabs?

Ref drinking and typing and other things... The stories I could tell you about those, would be a whole days story duration wise at minimum. I think if i hadnt stopped id be , well lets just say deported. Lol

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Is it?? I had no idea lol
I've not noticed anything suffering as a result. The only thing I can imagine is keeps their responsibility at a minimum lol

Sent via telepathy

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cheers appreciate it . I was looking at a spare chrome grill sitting in thr garage , i see those tabs behind it that you were referring to. Horizontal type tabs?

Ref drinking and typing and other things... The stories I could tell you about those, would be a whole days story duration wise at minimum. I think if i hadnt stopped id be , well lets just say deported. Lol

Yup, those are the tabs. Cut cut out as much as needed to get the tabs to pass the screen so it allows it to lay flat. Then just zip tie under the "bridges" formed by the tabs and grill supports. Once you get it all together and looking at it it'll make more sense I'm sure

Sent via telepathy

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVFOWJK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just put this on yesterday. Headed to Alaska. Had one on my 2009 and protected radiator and kept the bugs out.

Oh ya those are super popular up here. I dont care for the snaps that need to be installed but I havent met a single other person who is bothered by it lol
My mom's did rust after a while but the salted roads in the winter will rust just about anything up here anyway
Where in AK are you headed?

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
:) yep I just go about a mile from my place and pick mine up at the manufacture plant here in Winnipeg.:)

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Believe it or not any screening makes a pretty large difference in the airflow through the radiator. Try an experiment with a piece of screening and a fan. You'd be surprised at the difference in airflow between the screen and no screen. I understand the bug issues but remember that the screen material is reducing the opening by a substantial amount as a percentage of the opening. The finer the screen the higher the amount. I'm guessing that the cooling capacity is already well designed but I'd also guess that a drive through Death Valley with the A/C on would bring out the shortcomings, and probably a drive on a very hot day with the A/C on will also show the issues. Having a non digital temperature gauge helps hide things and I'm NOT a proponent of digital temp gauges by any means.

I own a Miata and they have zero screening plus a grille opening at ground level. Guys are always coming up with grille materials and arguments about "saving" the radiator from issues caused by flying debris. In nearly 50 years of driving all sort of vehicles the only issue I ever had with road hazards and radiators was when I hit the bottom of a hill at high speed and the engine shifted so the cooling fan (then mounted on the water pump) hit the radiator. Other than that except for the "Love Bugs" in Georgia or Florida (CRS!) one time in the 70's I never had to clean the grille out.