how to wrap this sucker...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
okay so here's my custom cup holder project, it's built into the dash, isn't removable unless disassembled.

611b8bfb-ef97-f543.jpg

its really in there, wanted it to be stable and strong, it's not going anywhere without someone smacking it with a sledge hammer. it's got more in store for it but my current dilemma is how to I dress this thing up? should I try to carpet in place or resort to paint? wanted to not make it look cheap/ghetto if y'all know what I'm saying, also want a durable finish since it might get kicked a few times over the years or something. thanks for all suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
For the long haul you might go with carpet. a craft store may have something similar to the factory carpet. But if want something quick I would plasti dip it

Here is how plasti dip turns out matches pretty good with the factory black. I did the passenger airbag and the dash bezel.
000_0125.jpg
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab112/werm-bang/My%20Truck
/000_0127.jpg
000_0126.jpg

discojables

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I vote carpet on the sides and maybe some type of plexiglas or plastic on top.

Grubrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Get the matching interior vinyl/leather and definitely Vacuum Form it.... it'll look OEM and brilliant!

I did custom car audio for almost 10 years and this is how I did ALL my top-end show vehicles.

The finish is flawless!

Vacuum Forming is a type of plastic thermo forming that involves placing a sheet of plastic into a frame and applying heat. When the plastic is malleable and the proper temperature has been reached the plastic sheet begins to sag. The frame lowers and the plastic starts to cover the mold. A seal is created around the outside edges of the mold and a vacuum removes any air inside the cavity. The vacuum action causes the plastic to be pulled down around the mold. Once the plastic has hardened, the vacuum is shut off and the frame lifts up along with the newly formed plastic part. The part is then removed from the frame and all excess plastic is trimmed off around the edges of the part. Some products that are usually made by the vacuum forming process include: dashboards, display racks and beverage holders.

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
go with bed liner works well on wood

i had a coffee table that was covered in bed liner. sanded it to rough it up and then spray on a few nice coats worked great lived in a rat hole of an apartment with two other guy the apartment way so small you had to walk across the table to get thru the living room

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
great suggestions, gonna evaluate what I wanna do. thanks alot guys I'll let y'all know how it turns out

PowerWagon2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I suggest neffy wrap. It was BIG in the LX community. It's a carbon fiber wrap. Looks great IMHO.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Put it in a box and send it to me :********:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whatever you do, unless you're padding it, make sure you seal that mdf really well first. My projects always start to look junky as time goes by because the MDF starts to fall apart.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Not sure if it's your thing but that looks like a great place to mount a cb

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Whatever you do, unless you're padding it, make sure you seal that mdf really well first. My projects always start to look junky as time goes by because the MDF starts to fall apart.

what would you use? I'm not sure if I wanna use wood glue or maybe just some silicon/caulk

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Not sure if it's your thing but that looks like a great place to mount a cb

iv pondered the thought and am planning on it lol just not sure where I wanna put it yet

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
hahah trying to catch people's attention :D

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
if you do vinyl or carpet, round the wood edges some. A heat gun (or hair dryer) helps on curved areas if using vinyl. Make sure what you get is stretchy. Use a GOOD glue, like 3M spray adhesive, or it'll pull away in short order.

The problem lies in the compound edges, as seams are hard to hide with vinyl.

Another method would be to flock it.