How would my truck do with this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetai...an-lantern-lt-17fqwe-bunkhouse-10k-MES1324232

Or say a similar camper, around 3300-4300lbs?

I believe my max tow capacity is around 4300lbs with my V6 and 3.21 gears, but what would pushing the limit wear out? I'm on 90% flat land here, 95% of the time I'm driving 40-50mph also.

I know 3.92 gears would almost double my towing capacity, but is it really needed?

I've always wanted to get a small RV, I can get something like this used for much cheaper also. One thing that will be purchased is a silent Honda generator to run an A/C, $800+ well spent especially if I don't have access to an electric hookup.

PS I should mention that I might get something much more basic and lighter, possibly without a shower/kitchen, so much lighter etc. No joke I even planned out getting a small storage trailer and sealing it, installing an A/C and bed etc for a makeshift sleeper-trailer. Those small teardrop trailers suck LOL I already viewed several of them. I basically want a small trailer I could camp out in, live in for a few days, nothing special.

The only MAIN priority is cooling in the 6 months of heat we get, but that's pretty easy with a Honda generator and spare gasoline.

Last edited:

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This might be a better question for the Towing and Hauling section.

But...couple questions: How often would you be towing it? What type of distances are you talking?

I like your idea of a small enclosed trailer with all the necessities to live in for a few days. I'm of the same mind...don't need all the bells and whistles. Just give me a place to flop and I'm good. Would need a few extras like you said...A/C, etc.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Philip

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
This might be a better question for the Towing and Hauling section.

But...couple questions: How often would you be towing it? What type of distances are you talking?

I like your idea of a small enclosed trailer with all the necessities to live in for a few days. I'm of the same mind...don't need all the bells and whistles. Just give me a place to flop and I'm good. Would need a few extras like you said...A/C, etc.

Good luck!

That's tricky, I honestly don't know how much I would be towing it. I'm also looking into building a camper cover for the bed which would be MUCH lighter. I'd want to build something that can withstand higher speeds though like 50-65mph. After all having a trailer even if it is small, is always in the way lol especially for an apartment living dude like myself. The A/C and generator is a priority though, it's actually a pretty easy thing to set up. Gas usage for a generator is crazy though, I'm surprised this day and age us humans can't come up with a decent power source. Solar is an option, but waaaaay too slow/under powered/pricey.

TBH seems to be right at the max with all things considered... Refer to this chart. https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2017_ram_1500_towing_charts.pdf

Be sure to consider your weight, passenger weight, gear and tongue weight of the trailer in the payload...

Thanks bud.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
What is your payload limit on the yellow door jamb sticker?

That's the most important number. Are you looking at a trailer that's 4300 loaded or "dry" the dry weight is useless. Use the trailer gvwr weight when trying to figure out what you can safely tow if your Iike me and want some safety margin.

I would not think a basic, single or small tandem axle tt is unreasonable for your V6\3.21 combo. Do you have the 8 speed Trans? That would help.

Without knowing your weights, I'd suggest you look at TTs that are 20' overall, ball to bumper or shorter and 4,000 lb GVWR or under and you'd probably be ok. Good luck. Post up your payload limit and we can go from there. That's the limit you don't want to exceed. It includes passengers and gear in the cab, gear in the bed, weight of the WDH (yes you will need one) and the trailer tongue weight, typically 12% of trailer weight .

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I just checked the cw link. Nice little tt. 3850 gvwr from what i can tell on that Vin tag. I'd think that would be no problem for your truck if you stay within payload. Just my 02, do your home work and dont listen to what the salesman says you can tow!. Good luck!

DAK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you looked at POP UPs ?

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Should be no problem. The 8spd transmission more than makes up for the 3.21 rear end.

Also, you have the same frame, axles (3900lbs gross max front and rear) and brakes as a Ram 1500 configured for max tow (Hemi/Eco 3.92 etc.).

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the V6 you have more payload than the rest of us with the hemi, so that issue is solved.

Watch your transmission temp and gear down. Settle in towing at 60 MPH and see if you can maintain 6th(1:1). I have zero experience with the 3.6 in the truck, I do have it in my minivan. Maybe you'll be in 7th.

I tow gvwr 5400 lbs 22 foot. Air resistance is king. I typically tow in 7th with my hemi and 3.92s at similar speeds. None of this 75 mph towing.

Lots of shifting = Heat. Pick a max gear thats stable and go for it. You don't want the Torque converter unlocking trying to baby it into 8. Its just not worth it.

Last edited:

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I towed a 5000 lb TT for 5 yrs. with a 6 cyl. Chevy 1/2 ton. Mostly flat land and short trips. As far as a genny for your A/C, plan on a couple grand for that Honda. It takes a 3000 watt generator to start your average camper AC unit..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pull a similar size single axle travel trailer with the V6 albeit with 3.55 gears. The tow ratings come down to certain test criteria like repeated hill starts on a 12% grade. In normal use being a little over the published trailer weight is not going to kill anything, and in terms of chassis and braking the trucks are the same regardless of gearing.

OP
OP
Philip

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks a lot folks for the advice and input. Two things I learned today, I WILL NOT get or make a camper shell that sits in the bed, I even tried out/viewed one that was 6 foot clearance while standing in the bed.

I will get a smaller trailer with basically a bed for two, and a bit of room to sit down. Only thing I will need is again, a small A/C like a 5,000 btu unit with a generator locked outside. Besides the Camper land store I went to today, I checked out a basic storage trailer at Cabela's, it got me thinking about just insulating it, sealing it, and cutting out spots for an air entry and air exit fan. It would be so easy to install an A/C unit also.

One of the reps told me that the wood in the trailer is treated with a hazardous chemical to preserve it and it's not good to spend much time in there, like sleeping. Don't know if that's true though.

AND YES sorry I have the 8 speed 4X2 V6 w/3.21 gears.

All I want is a bare bones trailer, no sink, fridge, shower etc. Nothing to add weight basically. Really just a SHTF type of trailer to get up and go. Something that can house you for a few days.

I've camped out WAY back in certain parts of Upstate, NY and Connecticut with bare bones. Literally a car, a tent, baby wipes to clean up/refresh, shovel to dig a spot for crapping, plastic bags to hold other waste, water and mre's and other basic food items like jerky/peanuts. I know it's not glamorous, but you will be surprised how LITTLE you need to live. Go to Walmart and pickup a Buck 119 also, been using those knives for years, great camp blade for basic wood work/carving and shaving wood for fires.

And always carry at least 3 cheap Bic lighters! Starting fires with a ferro rod is ANNOYING!

Last edited:

KJ-LongIsland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I have a similar setup as you...V6 4x4 CC 3.21 gears. Picked up a Coleman camper just like this one (just different layout inside) this past summer. Was about 6 hour drive from Western NY back to Long Island. I felt that the truck did well pulling the camper. There was zero sway of the trailer. Watching the temps while towing, there was a little increase in both engine and transmission temps.

I normally average on the highway about 24MPG, with the camper attached it dropped to 14MPG. One thing I did notice is that engine did better on Super instead of Regular fuel. Engine pulled stronger, less hunting for gears, and better MPG's. While towing we averaged around 55mph.

Hope this helps....

OP
OP
Philip

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have a similar setup as you...V6 4x4 CC 3.21 gears. Picked up a Coleman camper just like this one (just different layout inside) this past summer. Was about 6 hour drive from Western NY back to Long Island. I felt that the truck did well pulling the camper. There was zero sway of the trailer. Watching the temps while towing, there was a little increase in both engine and transmission temps.

I normally average on the highway about 24MPG, with the camper attached it dropped to 14MPG. One thing I did notice is that engine did better on Super instead of Regular fuel. Engine pulled stronger, less hunting for gears, and better MPG's. While towing we averaged around 55mph.

Hope this helps....

I'd love to see that camper you got.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I tow this on occasion with my V6 CC 4x2 3.55:

Wildwood 26TBSS, Equalizer 4pt WD hitch 1k, Monroe 1k Load Adjusting rear shocks. I won't win any races, but no problems holding 65 mph on the highway, RPMs around 3k in 5th gear.

McZcFGf.png

Under all ratings, below my 12,900 GCWR and 440lbs of payload to spare.

T3Kp8SM.png

goldtr8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A Honda 2000 wont run an air conditioner I have one and now I have two generators the 2nd is a Champion 3200 and I wish I got a bigger one.