Hughes intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

fowlerdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
^^ not too worried about the tuning, more concerned with the visual.

OP
OP
F

fowlerdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
^^Wrong reading comprehension skills. Let me type slower.....Worried about passing smog in CA. We have a visual inspection along with the dyno/sniffer.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Oh gotcha gotcha gotcha. My bad lol. Iowa nor any of the states around me has any of that so i kinda forget about it.

OP
OP
F

fowlerdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Just wanted to re-ask the question since my post was hijacked.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Just wanted to re-ask the question since my post was hijacked.

No one hijacked your post, you and Dapepper were the only ones in here.

As far as your question, Dapepper is right, a good tune will ensure you pass, you may or may not pass. An old high school buddy of mine moved to Denver where they require inspection to register your vehicle and he passed there with a Hughes intake, shorty headers and rockers, Tuned, but before the tune he didn't have emissions related codes. I've heard of guys with as little as an intake, failing smog in places like Maryland.

If you want to be safe, get the intake and a tune. You won't regret it.

OP
OP
F

fowlerdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I will try to type real slow..... I'm not worried about the sniffer. It's the visual inspection in CA, not iowa or michigan. Have either of you two that seem to know everything actually passed or even taken a smog inspection in CA?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I will try to type real slow..... I'm not worried about the sniffer. It's the visual inspection in CA, not iowa or michigan. Have either of you two that seem to know everything actually passed or even taken a smog inspection in CA?

Nope and i'd like to keep it that way. I've never had a vehicle inspection as its not a requirement, As Dapepper said previous, visual is fine. As long as you dont cobble it together with paper clips it will look proper and pass.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I'll type real slow as well, guys do it all the time. I can tell you a few by name if you wish

I may have misunderstood you initially but the answer to your question didn't change. In fact more guys are less concerned with the visual thsn they are the sniffer. But yes I've seen plenty of guys pass the VISUAL without an issue

Last edited: