HVAC repair/blen door replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Had some fun yesterday and all day today tearing into the dash to remove the HVAC box and replacing all the blend doors, evap core and heater core.

I used the blenddoorusa.com kit to replace all the doors and the plastic arms with their upgraded arms. Excellent quality parts, highly recommend them if you need to replace your doors in the HVAC box.And if you are going to the trouble of removing the dash for one door, you might as well replace them all while you're in there. Save you having to do it all again later when the other doors start to break. Same thing with the evap core and heater core, replace them while you have everything apart. It's worth the extra cost as you only have to do all this the one time.

Started yesterday but it ended up being a bust due to crappy tools from Autozone for removing the A/C lines from the evap core. Took me way longer than it should have to disconnect the accumulator line. So I plowed into it starting at 8am this morning, removed the dash, rebuilt the HVAC box and got everything reinstalled and the truck back on the road at 6:45pm. Only thing remaining is to have the A/C recharged. Even cleaned up the stereo wiring so that it's running over the steering column now so if I need to removed the dash or drop the column again, I won't have extra wires to worry about or cut.

Vids that I watched for tips and how-to help:

20180331_101348-X2.jpg

20180331_101355-X2.jpg

20180331_101426-X2.jpg

20180331_101418-X2.jpg

20180331_102200-X2.jpg

20180331_102306-X2.jpg

20180331_133838-X2.jpg

20180331_133843-X2.jpg

20180331_133849-X2.jpg

20180331_133906-X2.jpg

20180331_133855-X2.jpg

20180331_181253-X2.jpg

panoz3

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great info, I especially appreciate the YouTube links. My floor vents no longer work, so I need to tackle this job on my truck sometime this summer.

Could you include a picture or part # of the tool for the A/C lines?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Great info! I'm sure other members will find this very helpful.

Moved to 3RD Gen DIY.

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Great info, I especially appreciate the YouTube links. My floor vents no longer work, so I need to tackle this job on my truck sometime this summer.

Could you include a picture or part # of the tool for the A/C lines?

The tool that ended up working the best was this one from Autozone for $8. You have to be sure to loosen BOTH the screws that hold the AC accumulator in place so that you can pull it out completely when you disconnect it. That was one of the issues I was having, I missed one of the bolts.

Also have new o-rings on hand for when you reinstall the AC lines. I didn't have those so have left the lines disconnected and will have the shop replace them when I take the truck in to have the AC recharged.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...-and-fuel-line-disconnect-tool-set/246366_0_0

or

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-51614-Fuel-Disconnect/dp/B004BW9JSM/

9020004_atc_ac522w83114_pri_larg.jpg

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The replacement foam weatherstrip that I used was from Home Depot.

black-frost-king-foam-tapes-r734h-a0_1000.jpg

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Either one will work. Just compare to what I used and get whatever is close.

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They are pretty much the same. They just try using different words to look smart.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I can't get this ******* thing off, please help today, I can't do without the truck for the whole week waiting for a reply, I'm already soaked through with sweat and verging on a knee injury from kneeling on the bumper to reach this crap...

Sent from my magic 5-inch
e9dad24aba295cd41b4dbabbe95beaab.jpg

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Make sure you have undone both the bolts that hold the accumulator in place when you are trying to remove that one. I had the same issue and it wasn't until I had both bolts loose that it came off.

Also, I see the corner of the air filter there. You can give yourself a ton more room to work if you remove the air box.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I had 1 bolt completely out and one loose. I used the tool in every angle and every orientation I could think of. I put on welding gloves so I could pull harder on it without hurting my ******* fingers. I used a screwdriver and pliers to try to pull it under the collar. Nothing worked, and all it did was cause extreme frustration and damage to the useless ******* tool. Which makes me the ******* tool for even trying. So I put it back together and gave up. I would love an idea that work, but unless they make a better tool, I don't think there is one. I simply do not have the strength, durability, or patience to do this apparently. Call me whatever you want, but I literally cried...
Make sure you have undone both the bolts that hold the accumulator in place when you are trying to remove that one. I had the same issue and it wasn't until I had both bolts loose that it came off.

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I hear ya. That particular tool worked for me and was the second one that I tried. I gave up on it too and came back to it the next morning and it finally came off. Try with both the bolts removed. I don't know why that one is such a ***** to get off but it is.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I hear ya. That particular tool worked for me and was the second one that I tried. I gave up on it too and came back to it the next morning and it finally came off. Try with both the bolts removed. I don't know why that one is such a ***** to get off but it is.
The video had an orange one. I may try to order that. If you could just pull from two opposite ends it would work.

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You might also try pushing the accumulator towards the firewall a little, like you are trying to reattach it, then insert the tool to remove it. Again, take both bolts completely out and make sure there is nothing else holding it in place that would hamper removing it.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
There's a wire loom attached to it that I don't know how to remove, would that cause any issue?
You might also try pushing the accumulator towards the firewall a little, like you are trying to reattach it, then insert the tool to remove it. Again, take both bolts completely out and make sure there is nothing else holding it in place that would hamper removing it.

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think the wire loom is actually attached to the bracket the accumulator bolts too, not the accumulator itself. I'm at work right now so can't check my truck for that. But there should be enough play in the loom to allow you to still pull the accumulator off. Once there is nothing holding it in place, it pops off easy like the other line did. It's rather annoying.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I think the wire loom is actually attached to the bracket the accumulator bolts too, not the accumulator itself. I'm at work right now so can't check my truck for that. But there should be enough play in the loom to allow you to still pull the accumulator off. Once there is nothing holding it in place, it pops off easy like the other line did. It's rather annoying.

Okay. Thank you for the help so far. I will try that now. *gets everything prepared again*

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Took both bolts all the way out and didn't even need the ******* tool after all...

Anything else I'll cry over? 06656d3481c7016ccbcead67e99bcb91.jpg

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
As I said, rather annoying once it comes off so easily after fighting it for so long :biggun: