HVAC repair/blen door replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Now you get into the fun part. Just take your time, be methodical and double check everything before you pull the dash. Once all the bolts are removed, the dash will come off easily. If it doesn't want to move, then you missed a bolt somewhere. Don't try and force it. Check carefully to make sure you unplugged all electrical connections and don't forget to disconnect the battery if you haven't already. And watch out for those bolts up by the windshield. Don't use a flexible extension or you might break your windshield like I did. Still need to have that replaced.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Battery unplugged was the first thing I did.
Now you get into the fun part. Just take your time, be methodical and double check everything before you pull the dash. Once all the bolts are removed, the dash will come off easily. If it doesn't want to move, then you missed a bolt somewhere. Don't try and force it. Check carefully to make sure you unplugged all electrical connections and don't forget to disconnect the battery if you haven't already. And watch out for those bolts up by the windshield. Don't use a flexible extension or you might break your windshield like I did. Still need to have that replaced.

Sent from my magic 5-inch

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Yo, do these need to be installed? Seems like all they'll do is rub the foam off my brand new mode door... 11be074d17a946a77618d8aa39c28d28.jpg

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Also, it doesn't matter where the door sits in its range of motion when I reinstall everything right? This and others like it will be okay? ac44f43115d099a626d48cb06f966174.jpg

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yo, do these need to be installed? Seems like all they'll do is rub the foam off my brand new mode door... 11be074d17a946a77618d8aa39c28d28.jpg

I reinstalled them. They won't hurt the foam and it doesn't really matter if they do. I put everything back the way i found it.

Also, it doesn't matter where the door sits in its range of motion when I reinstall everything right? This and others like it will be okay? ac44f43115d099a626d48cb06f966174.jpg

The motor will re-calibrate when it powers up from what I understand, so you should be fine with the door in that position.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Thanks, dude. I got it all hooked up and put back together, but...

-I have an extra 10mm black bolt
-I'm short 2 hex head black screws
-I cracked my dash panel
-I broke a bit of one of those yellow plugs under the cup holder area
-And I didn't change the o-rings because that was just too much hassle AND I might not have had enough of them.
I reinstalled them. They won't hurt the foam and it doesn't really matter if they do. I put everything back the way i found it.

The motor will re-calibrate when it powers up from what I understand, so you should be fine with the door in that position.

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No idea what the bolt or screws are for. Like I said, go slow and document everything.

Bummer about the dash panel, at least it wasn't your windshield :doh2:

Those yellow plugs are for the air bag system. Hopefully you were able to reinstall them properly and still able to lock them in place. A broken piece shouldn't be a problem otherwise.

I had the a/c shop replace the o-rings on the accumulator and the other hose to the evap core when I had it recharged. I don't think they charged me anything for them. You might ask your guy when you get the recharge done.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I'm not too worried about the extra Bolt. The dash seemed sturdy enough with just the six 13 mm bolts and the top two 10 mm and four 8 mm bolts.

As far as the two screws, I moved them from one piece to another since the first piece seemed solid enough and didn't absolutely need them as much as the knee panel did, which is what was missing the screws.

I damaged the left connector of the airbag system, then. It does not lock into place, but it does seat firmly into place. Is it super important, or should it not be a problem?
No idea what the bolt or screws are for. Like I said, go slow and document everything.

Bummer about the dash panel, at least it wasn't your windshield :doh2:

Those yellow plugs are for the air bag system. Hopefully you were able to reinstall them properly and still able to lock them in place. A broken piece shouldn't be a problem otherwise.

I had the a/c shop replace the o-rings on the accumulator and the other hose to the evap core when I had it recharged. I don't think they charged me anything for them. You might ask your guy when you get the recharge done.

OP
OP
xtremewlr

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well, it's the airbag system. What do you think?

Throw some duct tape on it to make sure it doesn't wiggle loose over time.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Okay, I'll do that some time soon.

I meant to edit my last post saying that I ALSO damaged the locking lever, not JUST damaged it. It happened trying to plug the ****** back in AFTER I bolted the dash back in. :/

The first damage was to the body of the clip trying to pull the dash by myself since my helper was sleeping. Only half a pinkie fingernail of plastic came off.
Well, it's the airbag system. What do you think?

Throw some duct tape on it to make sure it doesn't wiggle loose over time.

marcusrhall57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had some fun yesterday and all day today tearing into the dash to remove the HVAC box and replacing all the blend doors, evap core and heater core.

I used the blenddoorusa.com kit to replace all the doors and the plastic arms with their upgraded arms. Excellent quality parts, highly recommend them if you need to replace your doors in the HVAC box.And if you are going to the trouble of removing the dash for one door, you might as well replace them all while you're in there. Save you having to do it all again later when the other doors start to break. Same thing with the evap core and heater core, replace them while you have everything apart. It's worth the extra cost as you only have to do all this the one time.

Started yesterday but it ended up being a bust due to crappy tools from Autozone for removing the A/C lines from the evap core. Took me way longer than it should have to disconnect the accumulator line. So I plowed into it starting at 8am this morning, removed the dash, rebuilt the HVAC box and got everything reinstalled and the truck back on the road at 6:45pm. Only thing remaining is to have the A/C recharged. Even cleaned up the stereo wiring so that it's running over the steering column now so if I need to removed the dash or drop the column again, I won't have extra wires to worry about or cut.

Vids that I watched for tips and how-to help:

View attachment 399783

View attachment 399784

View attachment 399785

View attachment 399786

View attachment 399787

View attachment 399788

View attachment 399789

View attachment 399790

View attachment 399791

View attachment 399792

View attachment 399793

View attachment 399794
I just recently pulled my dash to rebuild my HVAC box.. Due to some health issues it took me a week to pull and rebuild the box. Afterwards I've run into some electrical problems. The truck runs so I can get to the doctor and grocery store. I've yet to charge the ac system due to limited budget. Since the reassembly my speedometer stopped working and I have no upper console lights, compass or mileage data. In addition i have an ABS warning light and brake warning light lit. I'm glad you got yours fixed and Im hope to find the info on the forum to get mine fixed..