I feel my RAM slower and "heavier"

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Christian1500, Jul 15, 2017.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. RLJ10X

RLJ10X Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    This forum always gets questions similar to this, and quite often the (guy who is the) Thread Starter, omits which transmission, and differential gears, the truck has. Thats info that we need.

You said it is a Flex Fuel. Did you recently start running E85? Whst gas are you running? It took me long time to figure out that some fuels simply have more BTUs per gallon than others, because some fuels consistsntly get better mpg than others.

If you have 3.21 final gears, 70-75 mph in hi gear, is a tall order for that Pentastar, which needs RPM to produce power.

If you do have the 3.21/8 combo, why not just avoid 8th gear. Leave it in 7th, so the Pentastar has some RPM to work with.

A Petal Commander will make your truck feel more responsive.

I pull trailers for UPS for a living. What direction the wind is blowing makes a big difference. These trucks are about as aerodynamic as a dehumidifier.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Christian1500 likes this.
  2. CrispyBacon

CrispyBacon Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I did mention it.

averageguy likes this.
  3. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    Synthetic oil wouldn't have anything to do with losing "power". If anything your engine make be making more. There have been a few head to head Dyno tests between conventional and synthetic oils that show a slightly increase with the synthetic.

If it's the same 3.7L Ford puts in the Transit, it likes between 3-4K rpms and pulls nicely up to just over 5K. The trick is to not stomp it to the point where the torque converter unlocks and the engine winds upwards of 6K. Manually shifting the trans helps.

4. Christian1500

Christian1500 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    V6 Flex Fuel 3.6 Liter Pentastar
    This was my first thought but after asking my dealer and they said that there is nothing to be adjust on my RAM I ignored this idea for a while. I'll need to go back and ask them to flash my pcm. Thanks!

5. Christian1500

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I have the 8-speed transmission and I just sent my VIN to find out what gears my RAM is running.
    I'm running regular (87) I did try running E85 at first when I bought it but it was consuming it very fast. Thanks I'll check the Pedal Commander as a possible solution to improve the response.

6. RysRam

RysRam Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L
    Congrats, you win all the internets! Just kidding, I missed it.

But seriously, I ran into the same problem with my old '06 Sierra. It came from GM with 17's and I added OEM 20's. I instantly lost 2mpg and the truck became even doggier than it was before. They were on the truck for a month before I took them off and sold them.

7. averageguy

averageguy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi
    You could get shorter tires when you get new ones to get back closer to stock diameter and they will probably be lighter.

8. Christian1500

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Will this damage the motor in the long term? Since now is being asked to do more for all the time.

9. SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015...2500H.D.
    Engine:
    IMO...The 1500 is too much truck for the 3.6 pentstar...My wifes Caravan (3.6) is an absolute dog when you put 4-5 adults in it...Although with 2 adults and a steady pedal @ under 65 mph, I recently got 27.7 mpg on the evic during a 220 mile trip....

10. averageguy

averageguy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi
    I doubt it will damage it, but it will of course wear things out faster the harder they work. The motor may only last 195000 miles instead of 200000.