i need help badly.

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by 02blkram47, Sep 6, 2012.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. 02blkram47

02blkram47 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2011 Longhorn Crew Cab
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I developed an exhaust leak where my Stock Y pipe meets my catalytic converter. Dealer tells me that the only way to get this Y pipe from Chrysler is to get the entire section that contains the cat which costs nearly $700. So my question is this

1. Can I just buy an aftermarket Y pipe like magnaflow and get this to fit with my cat?
    2. Do I need to buy a new cat back system and cat with new Y pipe?

I was told that if I didn't want to pay for the stock Y and cat the dealer had a "guy" who would build me a new pipe with flange to connect to my cat for $440. That sounds crazy expensive to me.

I'm looking for the most simple solution? Any thoughts

I'm thinking about either an summit racing system or the American thunder system but what do I do with the cat and a leaky Y pipe?

2. Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp Moe's Performance

Ram Year:
    2017 Ram 1500
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    You would be fine by just replacing the Y-pipe with a new Magnaflow. Adding a catback exhaust after that is going to make it sound great and add some power, but not necessary to get the leak fixed.

Do you know what size piping you have before and after the Y?

3. 05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    Go to an exhaust shop and have him cut out like 1foot of pipe and have him put in a new peice. Id bet no more then $100

4. 02blkram47

02blkram47 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2011 Longhorn Crew Cab
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    So I have a flowmaster muffler with a turn down pipe. I put the turn down on myself and that was 2 5/8 so I'm assuming the muffler was a 2.5" outlet. I have no idea what is before the muffler but I do know its stock piping for a 4.7 L motor.

So any Y pipe will connect up to the cat? If that's the case I'd be happy to buy a new cat back and the Y pipe. So would this be 2.5" pipe all the way front to back?

5. KGBIGCOUNTRY

KGBIGCOUNTRY Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
    Engine:
    5.7 / 5.7
    It is leaking right at where the pipe meets the cat? Any exhaust shop should be able to get you fixed up regaurdless

6. 02blkram47

02blkram47 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2011 Longhorn Crew Cab
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I haven't crawled under there yet to see myself but the dealer said it was right where they meet. I think I have decided to buy an new Cat back system and get the Y pipe as well and just have an exhaust shop put it up and weld it all. Should be between $300-$350 total i would guess.

7. talon6

talon6 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2002 QCSB 4X4
    Engine:
    supercharged 5.9
    is your cat made right into the y like mine was? they are very expensive. if so, i would just redue the exhaust. new y pipe, new high flow cat, and pipe to connect the rest. like stated above, good exhaust shop could fix you right up. probabably cheaper with better performance.

8. talon6

talon6 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2002 QCSB 4X4
    Engine:
    supercharged 5.9
    heck, if its not that bad, they might even be able to just weld your old y up and fix it.

9. 02blkram47

02blkram47 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2011 Longhorn Crew Cab
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Yes my Y is part of cat which is why they are like $700 from Chrysler. So now I'm wondering if I need a new Cat or can I just buy the Y along with a Cat back system? Only reason I'm asking is because now I have to replace my rear axle seal, left front cv axle, and the rack & pinion on top of needing a new exhaust system. I have never seen so many things go wrong at one time. All of this started because I hear a grinding noise when I take a right turn mostly when going up hill. They think it's the CV axle that has play in it ( I'm not convinced) the boot is still good no cracks or rips and I can turn just fine with no sloppiness. I'm thinking more to do with the rear seal maybe it's out of fluid completely or it part of bigger problem like a wheel bearing. I have no idea but I'm trying to figure out what to replace first and make it as cheap as possible. sorry for the rant

10. truckin151

truckin151 Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2013 sport
    Engine:
    The Magnaflow Y pipe doesnt replace that entire piece, only where they combine to creat the Y shape. But really, unless you cat is bad, just take it to any exhaust shop and have them run a new bead where the pipe meets the cat. If it costs more than $50 for the weld I'd be shocked