I NEED HELP WITH MY A/C 2001 dodge ram 1500 0200

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isaiah Burgard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V8 5.2L
When I'm driving 60 or above accelerating my A/C turns off when accelerating it will turn blow air only when I stop accelerating.

Gossa78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have an 01 that does something similar but instead of stopping it blows out of the defrost vents and the compressor kicks off until my speed levels out. According to my neighbor who builds race cars it's a way to temporarily stop/reduce the power drain from running the AC.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the air is moving to the defrost vents while accelerating, im going to take a guess that your loosing vacuum to the reservoir. I had a 99 van that did this.
It is common for the AC compressor to shut off under hard acceleration. It's to keep the compressor from spinning too fast.

Reactions: Mop

sdkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 & 98 RAM 1500
Engine
318 & 360
Contact your dealer and purchase a vacuum reservoir. It is slightly larger than a film canister and goes inline of the vac hose into the dash. It will greatly reduce or stop the switch to the defrost. There used to be a tech bulletin about this for the mini vans.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 01 that does something similar but instead of stopping it blows out of the defrost vents and the compressor kicks off until my speed levels out. According to my neighbor who builds race cars it's a way to temporarily stop/reduce the power drain from running the AC.

You have a vacuum leak somewhere.

As for the original post, how hard you accelerating.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
II have this problem. when accelerate it stops blowing. it does not do it every time. I'd hate to have to remember to shut it off every time I accelerate.

I'm guessing that the a/c compressor clutch is slipping. it just doesn't seem normal for it to act this way unless the AC clutch is designed to do this which I've never heard of.

should I pursue a fix or not worry about it? it blows ice cold air. put some pag oil in it and it took half the can.

sdkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 & 98 RAM 1500
Engine
318 & 360
See my post above about the vac reservoir. I'm pretty sure it will solve your issue.

II have this problem. when accelerate it stops blowing. it does not do it every time. I'd hate to have to remember to shut it off every time I accelerate.

I'm guessing that the a/c compressor clutch is slipping. it just doesn't seem normal for it to act this way unless the AC clutch is designed to do this which I've never heard of.

should I pursue a fix or not worry about it? it blows ice cold air. put some pag oil in it and it took half the can.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
update.
I turned off the a/c and put it on fan. when accellerating the fan stops blowing!
so not the a/c clutch. is there too much pressure in the vents somehow that a vent is blowing shut when I accelerate?

also don't know if there's a rain-related problem, but, I remember hearing water noises when iI gave it gas sitting still once. what to look for on this?

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10

Why did you put oil in the system? did you replace a component of the refrigeration circuit? You don't just add oil (or refrigerant for that matter) without cause to do so.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
I put oil in because many times I've found it saves the clutch bearing. I have even stopped "whirring" bearings in many vehicles by adding oil. it doesn't hurt the system and I'm sure you know some refrigerant comes with a dose of pag.

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
I put oil in because many times I've found it saves the clutch bearing. I have even stopped "whirring" bearings in many vehicles by adding oil. it doesn't hurt the system and I'm sure you know some refrigerant comes with a dose of pag.
Sorry, but you're incorrect; you only need a finite amount of oil in the system. Too much can reduce heat transfer and quite possibly cause problems with the compressor, and too little will cause all the obvious issues.

You'd be surprised by how little oil is needed in a properly operating system.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
hmm. ok. so how do you know how much is in the system / how much to add/how not to overfill?

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
hmm. ok. so how do you know how much is in the system / how much to add/how not to overfill?

The manual will tell you how much oil to add when you replace a specific component - compressor change-out gets X oz of oil, evaporator coil or accumulator-drier gets Y oz of oil. Or, more accurately - the new component needs to have those amounts of oil in them for the replacement.

if you have a leak and take care of it within a reasonable amount of time - No problem, don't worry about adding any more than the leaking component calls for.

If you have a leak and are just constantly adding refrigerant (the stuff without oil added to it) rather than solving the actual problem - then you really can't know how much you actually need to add without removing components and measuring the amount of oil in each one - which would not be fun.

There is one other way, it's still a pain in the ass, but it's less of a pain than removing ALL the components to measure the oil in each one. Once you get the system leak free - fill it up with refrigerant and run it for a good long while - take a drive on the highway to get it really going, and turn the fan onto the highest setting. Then - recover the charge, remove the compressor and measure the amount of oil inside of it. If it's low - fill it up to the manual's specifications. If it's too much - remove some.

The compressor is the only thing that needs the oil - the rest of the oil in the system is there simply because there are places where it falls out of suspension with the refrigerant - so if your system is fully charged and has run for a little while the oil will naturally just accumulate in those spots other than the compressor, and those levels will remain pretty damn consistent so long as everything is working properly. So really after the oil settles out in the rest of the system, all you have to worry about is what's in the compressor.

So in short - you can't know how much oil to add without doing some kind of invasive procedures.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
well. I cleaned out all the coils and evaporator, etc. now ice cold air blowing. doesn't seem to be leaking. wish the blower had one faster speed as these cabs are large.