I was surprised to read this in the big manual (Snow Plowing)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Basically spells it out: 'Do not use this model vehicle (1500) for snow plow applications'. Page 566

Only the 2500/3500. At least in the 2012 manual. What's it say in manuals for newer 1500 Rams?

I was surprised they came right out and said it directly rather than some vague language to protect from lawyers, like "not recommended", or "damage will void warranty". I'm sure a lot of owners do and will use them successfully for snow plowing. I mean it's a HALF-TON truck for gods sake! I have an 87 Cherokee (classic) which is uni-body, not nearly as heavy duty as the Ram, and the owner's manual not only says you Can use it for snow plowing, but that a factory snow plow kit is available and to use air shocks on the front (which the dealer will be 'happy' to install). Everyone knows these Jeeps do well snow plowing but they also flex like crazy too! C'mon Ram!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know about the air bag sensors and all that. need to bolster the front springs..... Don't need to spell out the obvious, but after that it should work fine I would think. What do you think? (btw, I'm not planning on plowing with mine, I've still got the Jeep). I was just surprised they came out and DQ'd it.

Last edited:

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The newer years have the same statement. It is due to the electric power steering I believe and the weight of a plow overloading it.

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could make sense, but mine's not electric (conventional). Even so, then that points to the need to make the electric P/S unit stronger for mud and other steering stresses. When did they switch over to electric steering for 1500's?

Last edited:

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My chiropractor uses his 2014 Laramie to clear his own parking lot at the office. No plans to use my 2016 as such but never thought that was a big deal. Seen guys around here running a plow blade with 4x4 ford rangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just curious if Ford and GM spec the same language for their newer 1/2t tks?

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Most snowplow manufacturers offer a "PERSONAL USE PLOW"...That's how they get around the truck manufacturers specs. It's a poly blade...weighs around 250#...And can only be used by a homeowner on their personal property according to the Western snowplow website...No doubt warrenty work will be voided if it was a direct result of plowing...

rage32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I was just thinking about this the other day but don't want to put my warranty in jeopardy just for plowing my short driveway. I don't see why you couldn't attach a plow to your rear hitch and use your backup camera to do a few strips and clear a path. Any other recommendations for quality plows for this type of application. I see HomePlow advertises a lot online but not sure how great their products really are.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was just thinking about this the other day but don't want to put my warranty in jeopardy just for plowing my short driveway. I don't see why you couldn't attach a plow to your rear hitch and use your backup camera to do a few strips and clear a path. Any other recommendations for quality plows for this type of application. I see HomePlow advertises a lot online but not sure how great their products really are.

I would be sure that your trans is strong enough to plow in reverse. I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying I don't know...

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A snow plow on a truck (front) is a wonderful way to move snow. I wouldn't put one on the back though. For short city driveways an ATV with a plow is a better way to go. A lot more nimble and can make short work of things. Great for sidewalks too. That or a good snow blower.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would be sure that your trans is strong enough to plow in reverse. I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying I don't know...

Forget the transmission, the ring & pinion are weakest in reverse

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Why not just install a front mounted hitch and put one of those small, lightweight home style plows on the front hitch? Less strain on the truck and no obvious sign of a plow when you bring it to the dealer for work.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have had this Snowsport plow on 4 different vehicles in the 7 yrs I've had it. '88 Chevy stepside, '98 Tahoe, and currently on my '99 Chevy 3/4 ton in the pic. I even had it on my Yamaha Rhino one year. It did surprisingly well, just needed more stabs at the deeper stuff because of the lack of weight. Great purchase IMO if anyone is considering one.9ee1d09e3c51610defaca0195f701775.jpga0f924b82f99048fe4ad699a96533fd2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Forget the transmission, the ring & pinion are weakest in reverse

don't forget the front axle is weaker than the rear. So switch to reverse plowing is a bad idea!

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would be nice if the plow mfgrs mounted the blades closer to the vehicle. A lot of stress could be reduced if they were 12" further inward. But I get why they do it (accomodate for different bumpers, etc).

I've fabricated a couple snow plow mounts for older vehicles from scratch and always bring the blade in as far as I comfortably can. Makes it a lot easier on the vehicle front end. Plus some plows are overbuilt which makes them heavier than they need to be because enough guys are rough on them. But there are some lightweight options in the last couple yrs. A lightweight plow if managed properly and not 'Beaten to death' should be ok on a truck for non-commercial plowing.

Last edited:

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plowed for 12 years with my Tacoma and a Curtis Home Pro 7' plow. I added a transmission cooler and timbrens. I plowed 5 driveways and two private roads in Maine. The truck outlasted the plow. Fisher eMatch actually shows 2012 RAM Sport (for example) can be matched with a 7'6" SD plow. FISHER® eMatch Snowplow Selection System | Fisher Engineering

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
don't forget the front axle is weaker than the rear. So switch to reverse plowing is a bad idea!

Yeah, but I kinda figured everyone knew that one...not too many realize the difference in strength between the drive & coast sides of the gears.

It would be nice if the plow mfgrs mounted the blades closer to the vehicle. A lot of stress could be reduced if they were 12" further inward. But I get why they do it (accomodate for different bumpers, etc).

I think it's more to allow angling the blade for easier plowing than it is different bumpers.

Last edited: