I would like your advice on 5th Wheel guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to share this find. I'm always checking out CL for a friend who has been borrowing a camper the past couple of years. I keep trying to spend her money but she's pretty picky ;) Anyway, while looking I stumbled across this 5er for sale about 90 minutes away. My buddy bought this exact same unit back in 2014 and it's a sweet rig. He paid mid 50's, now I find a 4 year old unit, in nice shape for less than half that cost. Since it says OBO I'm guessing 24k would take it.

2013 35' Crossroads Cruiser 5th Wheel Camper by Thor

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That is a very nice setup. If I hadn't already bought mine last fall I'd definitely go take a look at it.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
I had to share this find. I'm always checking out CL for a friend who has been borrowing a camper the past couple of years. I keep trying to spend her money but she's pretty picky ;) Anyway, while looking I stumbled across this 5er for sale about 90 minutes away. My buddy bought this exact same unit back in 2014 and it's a sweet rig. He paid mid 50's, now I find a 4 year old unit, in nice shape for less than half that cost. Since it says OBO I'm guessing 24k would take it.

2013 35' Crossroads Cruiser 5th Wheel Camper by Thor

Not a bad price, but know way in hell would I pull that with a toyota tundra.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I found a few use down in Portland, OR that I might check out but they have a lot of snow now so it's not going to happen no time soon. They also suppose to have a RV's show here this week end, it be worth going.

LOL.... Oh yeah, we got some snow alright! I got close to a foot. It's been almost 10 years since we had anything even close to this. The main roads were fine yesterday after being plowed but the neighborhoods are a complete disaster. Numerous trees down, piles of snow everywhere. If you don't have a truck with some clearance you're pretty much out of luck.

The storm is gone but now the temps have dropped. No melting until Sunday PM at the earliest. Heavy rain and warm temps next week so here comes the flooding. Things should be back to normal by middle of next week. Or, at least as normal as they ever are in Portland :favorites13:

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
LOL.... Oh yeah, we got some snow alright! I got close to a foot. It's been almost 10 years since we had anything even close to this. The main roads were fine yesterday after being plowed but the neighborhoods are a complete disaster. Numerous trees down, piles of snow everywhere. If you don't have a truck with some clearance you're pretty much out of luck.

The storm is gone but now the temps have dropped. No melting until Sunday PM at the earliest. Heavy rain and warm temps next week so here comes the flooding. Things should be back to normal by middle of next week. Or, at least as normal as they ever are in Portland :favorites13:

Oh yeah here come the flood, we got some snow here in WA but it melted almost as fast it hit the ground. I have been talking to the guy in Portland about 5th wheel, is seem like that he have a few good use that I'm trying to see if it will work.

It's at Curtis Trailers Inc in Portland, do you know anything about them, are they any good thank you for your comment?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Oh yeah here come the flood, we got some snow here in WA but it melted almost as fast it hit the ground. I have been talking to the guy in Portland about 5th wheel, is seem like that he have a few good use that I'm trying to see if it will work.

It's at Curtis Trailers Inc in Portland, do you know anything about them, are they any good thank you for your comment?

Yep... Curtis is a good local dealer. I've been in many times and found their staff to be great people. Not ****** like some dealers. I think it's a family owned company and they have a lot of them working there.

Price wise they don't seem to be as competitive on newer trailers as I'd like and I've never ended up buying from them. A buddy bought a TT from them out of an RV show a couple years ago. It was a brand new model with only 1 in the area and they'd only come down about 15% from MSRP.

Trust wise I'd give them the thumbs up as much as any dealer..... but, of course, dealers are dealers so proceed with caution :)

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Thank you, the guy there email me today and they are at least giving me over $3000 more for my trade in more that the other dealer around here, so it's looking good he also told me that he will get back with me by Monday. The one I'm looking at is pending but another salesman is selling it, but I told him that I have another one that we also like, it's a Denali 5th Wheel.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thank you, the guy there email me today and they are at least giving me over $3000 more for my trade in more that the other dealer around here, so it's looking good he also told me that he will get back with me by Monday. The one I'm looking at is pending but another salesman is selling it, but I told him that I have another one that we also like, it's a Denali 5th Wheel.

Take your time big daddy. Make sure the numbers are legitimate make sure nothing is being hidden by the dealer. Remember, their goal is to extract as much money out of you as they can

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Take your time big daddy. Make sure the numbers are legitimate make sure nothing is being hidden by the dealer. Remember, their goal is to extract as much money out of you as they can

Very good advice rite there. Don't get pulled in by a impulse buy. Really think this through.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins

Very good advice rite there. Don't get pulled in by a impulse buy. Really think this through.

Man you guys are right about that, their was one salesman try his best to get me to buy one that was on sale, but I wasn't feeling him all he wanted is to make a sale, so I left and will not go bad. Thank you guys, I appreciated it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Man you guys are right about that, their was one salesman try his best to get me to buy one that was on sale, but I wasn't feeling him all he wanted is to make a sale, so I left and will not go bad. Thank you guys, I appreciated it.

Glad to hear that BD. Yes you have to be careful for sure. Glad you were able to sense that and walk. I never sign papers the first go around regardless of how good the deal may seem. I at least take a day or 2 to think about it. If it's a legit deal, unless it's right at the end of the year (nye) they can wait. If they tell you it's only good for that day, walk.

When i wore a badge and a gun for a living it was understood that if a situation didn't feel right, it probably wasn't. I still use that to this day. Good luck man

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Hey guys, I have a quick question when you tow heavy like a TT or a 5th wheel do you use 87 or 89 octane? Thanks again guys you all have been very helpful, like family. :)

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Glad to hear that BD. Yes you have to be careful for sure. Glad you were able to sense that and walk. I never sign papers the first go around regardless of how good the deal may seem. I at least take a day or 2 to think about it. If it's a legit deal, unless it's right at the end of the year (nye) they can wait. If they tell you it's only good for that day, walk.

When i wore a badge and a gun for a living it was understood that if a situation didn't feel right, it probably wasn't. I still use that to this day. Good luck man

Awesome sir and thank you for your service, the guy said just that so I want be going back there again, now I'm looking at the place where I bought my TT it seem like they got the ones we are looking at.

So now I have a little more info on the same 5th wheel and I know the average price of that one fiver.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Awesome sir and thank you for your service, the guy said just that so I want be going back there again, now I'm looking at the place where I bought my TT it seem like they got the ones we are looking at.

So now I have a little more info on the same 5th wheel and I know the average price of that one fiver.

Good deal BD and thanks for your comment. I'm sure if you take your time and think this through, you will find the right one at the right price.

As to your fuel question, my owners manual says 87 is OK, but 89 is recommended. I always run 89, and when i tow heavy in the summer i run 93. That may be overkill, but higher octane burns colder and i like that colder burn in the summer when it's real hot out to cut down on the chances of detonation (pinging/pre ignition)

I've not towed with my new ram yet, but my 15 Chevy Silverado 5.3 was also high compression so that's what i did fuel wise and had good results. There was a noticeable difference in power and overall running of the engine on 89 versus 87 octane in the Chevy, so I'll probably continue the practice with the ram

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys, I have a quick question when you tow heavy like a TT or a 5th wheel do you use 87 or 89 octane? Thanks again guys you all have been very helpful, like family. :)

I generally run 89 all the time. I'm too lazy to be a MPG micro-manager but someone (maybe on here?) had tracked it a bunch and found they got slightly better mileage with 89 over 87 - about enough to make up for the added cost. I seem to remember the break-even was somewhere between .10-.15 cents per gallon more was balanced by the better MPGs. If it's in the ballpark cost wise and the manual says it's preferred that's enough for me.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well, I did use 89 once, when I first got the truck. All other tanks have been 87.
I say use what your comfortable with.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I have ran 89 and 87 towing our jayco eagle 314bhds. It weighs around 9k ready to go. I really could not tell much of a difference. Granted my truck only has 8200 miles on it so maybe if it had more miles on it that could change. Towing mpg was the same either way. My best mpg towing the camper running nothing but highway at 65mph on 87 octane is 9.5mpg hand calculated.Evic showed 11mpg. This was a 5 hour jaunt to south haven michigan. Plus 89 seems to run 20 cents more a gallon and even higher sometimes around here.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Okay, thank you for all of your comments I will probably continue to run 87 and when I started back towing my TT use 89 octane. You know it seem like the more and more the wife and I think about it what we have is nice, I mean we love what we have but tomorrow will tell when the guy call me back. Thanks again and happy holiday for those that have off, every day is off for me.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

I run 89 octane with a HF tune when pulling our 8500 pound GVW Flagstaff TT. With the tune and 89 octane I have noticed that the truck will just pull right up a smaller hill in 5th gear where before it would have to downshift a gear to make the same hill (probably more tune related than octane, but I have always done 89 when towing, even before the tune).

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I switched to 89 after my first camping trip last year and I feel my 5.7 tows better with 89. Could just be in my head but I've stuck with 89 since.