I would like your advice on 5th Wheel guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I run 89 octane with a HF tune when pulling our 8500 pound GVW Flagstaff TT. With the tune and 89 octane I have noticed that the truck will just pull right up a smaller hill in 5th gear where before it would have to downshift a gear to make the same hill (probably more tune related than octane, but I have always done 89 when towing, even before the tune).

Okay, I have been on the fence on getting a tuner but it's on my next mod list, now at about $800+ it might be a while.

I switched to 89 after my first camping trip last year and I feel my 5.7 tows better with 89. Could just be in my head but I've stuck with 89 since.

Yes I do agree with you on this one, we planning on taking the rv out in April sometime so I will be running 89 octane in my ram.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Well guys we have decided to keep and enjoy what we have for now and maybe five years down the road we might take another look at it, I want to thank everybody for your comments I really appreciate it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well guys we have decided to keep and enjoy what we have for now and maybe five years down the road we might take another look at it, I want to thank everybody for your comments I really appreciate it.

Very likely the wisest choice :)

A winter doesn't go by that I don't do a bit of shopping. Once I'm out camping I'm always content.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Yes sir you are right on this one, after all of the going back and forth we decided that we will be out of a lot of money so I told my wife lets just keep what we have which is very nice, we love the floor plan.

After looking at that we will tag on another $20,000 onto the price and what we owe now it just didn't make sense. So I told my wife (nicely of course) sense we are going to get a pretty good sums of money in our income tax and with the money our church give us for appreciation, yearly that we can save that money and take a long road trip to Las Vegas.

I'm retired military so we can stay at some of the nice camp ground for the military, so she agree to it. Life is good so live it to the fullest and still have fun.

Last edited:

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Smart choice BD. It's nice to think about the next chapter in RV'ing, but sometimes it just makes sense to step back and not rush into things.

Sounds like you and the misses have a fun trip planned.

BTW. Thank you for your service.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hi BD, thanks for your service sir. Good Move. If your not feeling it, best to hold off.

That's what I did last year at the RV show in Hershey. I had a deal going on a rig at the show that my wife and I liked, but I just didn't feel the dealer was really stretching as much as he could have to make the deal, so I walked. I said to my wife the other day, I think we'll just continue to use our current rig and I'll install a new AC unit it before the season starts this year. Its' a good old rig and I like the 1 piece aluminum roof, which you can't get anymore. Good luck to you.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
When I get a few minutes I will look around in my notes and see if I can find the link to a website that lets you put in the make and model of an RV, it then sends you a list of RV dealers that have that model in their yard stock along with their Internet sales person's email.

Wife and I found an RV we wanted (Montana 3790RD) with a price of $72,000. At least that was the first price the dealer came up with. Later they knocked it down to $68,000, then $64,000 and claimed they were breaking even. I sent an email to the list of salespersons I got from the website and received different pricing, the lowest, for the exact same RV, was $53,000 and this dealer was only a three-hour drive away.

The original dealer countered with a price $500 below the $53,000 plus tax, title, and registration. This included all hook-ups, sewer, water, electric (50 feet of 50 amp plus all dog-bones), and full LP tanks.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Man, you guys are awesome, you just don't know on how I feel, it's like a ton of bricks have been lifted off my shoulder now, the wife and I talk about going to Vegas and other short trips also. We are planning a short trip up to Whidbey Island Navy Base in April we are so excited.

So now with the money we save we will be able to buy whatever we want, oh yeah, I got some brownie points when I told her that she can buy herself a nice purse when we get there, I think she love that ideal.:)

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Man, you guys are awesome, you just don't know on how I feel, it's like a ton of bricks have been lifted off my shoulder now, the wife and I talk about going to Vegas and other short trips also. We are planning a short trip up to Whidbey Island Navy Base in April we are so excited.

So now with the money we save we will be able to buy whatever we want, oh yeah, I got some brownie points when I told her that she can buy herself a nice purse when we get there, I think she love that ideal.:)

Well, I'm sure you've heard the saying , "happy wife, happy life" before. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Oh yeah, you got that right brother.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
For those who haven't seen our rig this is when we was going to the camp ground on base last May and yeah we keeping this for a while.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Wow! Very very nice BD! Yeah, i don't see much wrong with that rig! I think I'd hold onto that one for awhile unless you really need a 5th wheel. How long is that rig? Has to be 35' plus?

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Wow! Very very nice BD! Yeah, i don't see much wrong with that rig! I think I'd hold onto that one for awhile unless you really need a 5th wheel. How long is that rig? Has to be 35' plus?

Overall length is what makes me want to go 5-er. Same living space in a shorter package on the road, and while maneuvering in campgrounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins

Thank you sir, it's a 36'.9" and yeah we will keep it for a while we have wrote off the 5th Wheel for now.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Overall length is what makes me want to go 5-er. Same living space in a shorter package on the road, and while maneuvering in campgrounds.

Lol, really it's no problem I did twenty eight years in the Army in which I drove many types of truck, so I'm use to it's size.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good lookin' set up, bud!

I see no real reason for changing up so quickly. I know you like that TT so go out and have some fun!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thank you sir, it's a 36'.9" and yeah we will keep it for a while we have wrote off the 5th Wheel for now.

I figured. I've been camping since 1981 and have seen all kinds of rigs over the years. In fact that's one thing i like about camping (among many many others), just taking walks around the campground loops and checking out the campers and tow rigs. And just enjoying nature in general.

Camping is great family time and forces you to slow down, relax and spend time with your family. It's great.

To each their own BD, but i really like that TT of yours. 5th wheels are nice, but then you can't put as much in the bed and my bed is usually full of bikes, wood, ez-up, grille, you name it. But i also understand the more stable towing, etc.

The FW is a lot taller rig though, so more steps to get in and out. Something to consider if your older or have some physical limitations

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ps- looks like you have her set up real good. Near level front to back and a little nose low, which is exactly what you want for a nice stable tow.

What hitch are you using on that monster?

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Lol, really it's no problem I did twenty eight years in the Army in which I drove many types of truck, so I'm use to it's size.

I grew up driving overloaded hay trailers, so it's not that. Many of the campgrounds have limits on your overall length. Some you can't even get up with all the switchbacks of you're over 55'

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I grew up driving overloaded hay trailers, so it's not that. Many of the campgrounds have limits on your overall length. Some you can't even get up with all the switchbacks of you're over 55'

I have to keep that in mind, since I'm retired military all of the camp ground I've been to it's no problem, they take up to 40' or more.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963