i2010-Jay Greene Tune Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I contacted Jay regarding a custom tune for my i2 and asked that he call me. I can't get a call and it took a few days to pass just a couple messages. With that said, I am hoping I can get some information from members that are familiar with their i2010 and have a Jay Greene tune so I don't have to drag out a long conversation with Jay over messenger or email.

This is for a 2014 SLT/5.7l/3.21 gears with a 6" lift and 35's, CAI and modified exhaust.

First off, I bought the tuner used from a member. It is unmarried. It is not compatible with my truck so I cannot install any canned tunes. I suppose those files got removed by previous owner. I further assume the fix is to call Diablo in hopes they can reset it. Due to their business hours, I have been sitting on this tuner for over a month as I have not had free time to contact them in their window to have this discussion. I have already been on their site and attempted to download drivers/updates, of which there were none that changed anything in the tuner files.

1) Jay asked me to send him files from the tunes folder. There is one file in that folder, called "91 tune for 180 t stat". I assume I would see other files in there and that explains my initial issue and it is probably a custom tune from prior owner?

2) Can Jay's tunes be customized to driving habits via the information obtained from the data logging (of which I cannot obtain since I cannot install the tuner)? At the moment, I do use the truck to commute. It would be nice to know if something could be done to help with the gear searching that takes place when I am in that 70+ range. I would also like the truck to rid of any pedal lag (so I don't need to get a PC for now, or maybe ever), but I don't need to be chirping 2nd+ gears. I'm not trying to further kill my MPG, I have already done an excellent enough job of that with my other mods.

3) Jay's tune includes free updates. Does that mean when I get my commuter car and just use the truck for fun, he will be willing to beef up my tune a little bit to help further kill my MPG when I am ready?

4) Are 2 and 3 irrelevant, I just give him my mods and octane and I get what is sent to me and hope for the best?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
If you cannot read stock tune with i2 then will not be able to install custom or can tune.
Need to get tuner correct with Diablo's help.

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You need to be able to load that tuner in your truck so that it reads your factory settings and you send that file to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You won't be able to do anything with that programmer until you get it reset by Diablosport.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, I figured I need to get Diablo to fix the issue with the tuner. I'm sure they will gladly charge me and I will have paid more for a used tuner in the end. Lol, no biggie!

What about the other inquiries. I don't want to spend the next week or two passing a message with Jay every other day and I need to decide when I will pull the trigger on the custom tune.

Would really like to understand what options I have with it and exactly what it is I am paying for. Should have a commuter car in the next few months and the truck can get 5 mpg and pop wheelies for all I care at that point.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A custom tune is the best route to go. I am sorry you bought a tuner that is not compatable with your truck, Hopefully, not to sure if Diablo can do anything if it is unmarried and still won’t pair. That seems odd. First you need a tuner that will work. You will plug it in and do some data logging, then you will upload that to your lap top and fire it off to a custom tuner like Jay. However if you are having this much of an issue with the hand held tuner now, you may have more issues if you try to go custom tuning, personally if I was a tuner, and you purchassed the wrong tuner and then in your quest for help called me out in the first paragraph for not getting back in touch with you in a timely manor, I don’t know if I would be much help. First and foremost, get the hardware issue sorted. Then worry about custom tuning. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I don't think I bought the wrong tuner as I have never heard of an i2 not being compatible with a 5.7 2014 Ram. The previous owner of the tuner had the same truck. So, something else is obviously up there and I understand that is something I first need to resolve with Diablo.

As far as Jay goes, he has not even started any tunes. I messaged him to call me to discuss a custom tune. He messaged back for truck specs, I provided them, then he sent me instructions to send files and payment. This took about 3 days and I am in the dark as far as what I will be getting and how it may be customized for my needs.

I have been running canned tunes for years and just wanted to speak with him briefly on what it is he can do as far as tunes go. So, not calling him out, it would just be much easier to knock out my questions in a quick call. I'm sure he is a busy guy, but I am not about to throw out a couple hundred dollars blindly.

Hopefully I can get some answers here and then I can just let him know what I want. If not, then I'll message him my questions, which can sometimes lead to more questions and he can spend a whole lot of time typing me back on something we could have knocked out on a ten minute phone call.

So can the tune be tweaked by him or does he just sell one custom tune and everyone gets the same tune regardless if they want to drag race or tow?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So here is how it works, you typically can pick three tunes, towing/performance/and octane lvl. custom tuners have a “base/ platform” tune they send you and you upload it and drive around doing what is called “data logging” and then you send that data log back to the custom tuner and he fine tweaks it. While all these motors may be the same, no two are identical and the each respond a little differently. Some times it can take 2 or 4 sessions of data logs to get the tune perfect but once it’s 100% on the money for that truck, you don’t have to do it again untill you start adding mods. It can be a very painless process or it can take a little time. Just depends on your needs, the truck, and how ocd you want to be with the characteristics of the tune.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Ratket, that's what I was looking for. Sounds like my best bet is to go octane for now and then I can discuss change to performance when I get my commuter. Also sounds like Jay will be more open to dialogue once we get the process going. I appreciate the feedback!

:cheers:

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can attest he’ll modify your tunes for you, and the quickest way is thru email (well it was when I needed some updates and had questions. Haven’t touched a thing in a couple years).

I believe I was one of his earlier clients and Jay might be a little bit busier these days, who knows?!

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jay is pretty busy but he is awesome! I switched over from a different tuner due to his service and problems he caused. Jay hooked me up as soon as I sent the info files.
He will ask for the info file and any upgrades/ mods you have. Then you tell him what tune you want. I have the 91 tune and told him to squeeze all he could out of it. He is very knowledgeable and does his job well. I believe he is or was a computer programmer of some kind. He will take care of you man!
Get with Diablo and get that tuner unlocked. He will send instructions on how to tune and send files.

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Jay is pretty busy but he is awesome! I switched over from a different tuner due to his service and problems he caused. Jay hooked me up as soon as I sent the info files.
He will ask for the info file and any upgrades/ mods you have. Then you tell him what tune you want. I have the 91 tune and told him to squeeze all he could out of it. He is very knowledgeable and does his job well. I believe he is or was a computer programmer of some kind. He will take care of you man!
Get with Diablo and get that tuner unlocked. He will send instructions on how to tune and send files.

Was the difference between the Greene Racing tune and the canned 91 Diablosport tune worth the $?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The canned tunes that manufactures have on their hand held tuners don’t even hold a candle to what a custom tune can do.

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was the difference between the Greene Racing tune and the canned 91 Diablosport tune worth the $?

Absolutely it’s worth it! The canned tunes are “cookie cutter” tunes. Just a basic tune. A custom tune is designed specifically for your engine. Jay will look at fuel, spark, timing, air, and build a tune to make your engine run as efficient as possible. He can also tell you if your gas is good or not as he did for me.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would a trinity T1000 tuner accomplish all of this easier? Could he just mail the trinity to greene after he datalogs his truck, and greene get the info from the tuner?

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone with the i2010 access and post the names of the canned tunes file names that come with this tuner?